Thailand will go further than legalising same-sex marriage – PM

webfact

Posted (edited)

Apart from anything else, making Thailand a safe haven for same sex couples is a no brainer economically.

The list of nations who still persecute gays is too long to publish here but neighbouring Malaysia, most Middle East countries, Russia and China are enough to start.

Whether as a holiday destination or a permanent home for retirees there are clear benefits to the Thai economy in the long run. The more welcoming the better, IMO. It's not as if the economy couldn't do with a boost now.

Edited by champers
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Expat Rob said:

equal rights under the law are not 'lefty' thinking but you stick to your ad hominem arguments...who gives a flying f**k about Lia Thomas a single case does not prove anything exect to you...

There it is again - exactly the lefty thinking - you dont care about Lia Thomas and what she/he did to others - downsides of so many things that came about under the banner of 'gay rights'.

Let me tell you - She/he won National swimming championship events against 'biological females' thereby destroying their years of work and efforts.  She/he was allowed to get changed (full male genitalia on display) in the girl's change rooms, despite their protests. The girl's that protested were told they must accept 'her' in there, because she was accepted as a female competitor, or they would be suspended. What they had to do was change in the toilets with the door closed, and other things to avoid her/him. 

4 hours ago, Expat Rob said:

Where in the article does it discuss the issue of transgender athletes? Equal rights for women was probably a 'slippery slope' for you...

You say you are gay but fail to see that I do not give a rat's rear whether you are or not - OK??  As I said I played golf with a gay mate for 20 years - I am no homophobic at all - I met his Partner many times and went often out with them and had a meal and a beer and to the footy and cricket - we played cricket together for over 10 years. This is not about me having a problem with gays - yet you clearly are trying to take that view.

What I am saying is that 'gay rights' in Thailand must be done IMO, so that it allows gays to get married and have equal legal rights under the law etc. - but that is it - it must stop there.  Otherwise, as has happened in the west, those 'gay rights' had many unanticipated downstream issues. If a boy decides that he is a girl, but is still an 'intact' boy, then IMO 'gay rights' does not means that he can use the girl's toilets and changerooms if he wants to, and if the girls do not want him to.  Sure - any boy giving him/her abuse in the boy's rooms should and must be brought into line strongly.  But your unlimited views fails to see that 'gay rights' leads to that exact situation which becomes 'trans rights' which leads to all those downstream issues. Gay Rights must be 'controlled' so that it does not take away the rights of girls to things like their privacy for a start, let alone being forced to compete in sports against males.   Surely you understand that and agree with that? Or are you saying that a gay's rights over-ride the rights of girls?? 

On 6/5/2024 at 11:43 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I know to you it seems 'obvious' - but that is because you are locked into a left wing radical way of thinking.

Have yet to read past this post. Up to now you are the only one trying to politicize the topic. You are aware that "right wingers" are not immune to having LGBTQ+ children, right? Are they supposed to be as homophobic as you towards their own offspring? Sad.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2024 at 1:03 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You lost - avoiding a debate means you lose.

Nah, he's crushing you and you still don't get it. It's not avoiding a debate when you do not want to rehash the last few decades for your edification.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 2:58 PM, brianthainess said:

Thailand is committed to empowering all citizens. he said. And what about non Thai citizens ?

Let their own countries empower them? Why is that Thailand's job?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You say you are gay but fail to see that I do not give a rat's rear whether you are or not - OK??  As I said I played golf with a gay mate for 20 years - I am no homophobic at all - I met his Partner many times and went often out with them and had a meal and a beer and to the footy and cricket - we played cricket together for over 10 years. This is not about me having a problem with gays - yet you clearly are trying to take that view.

What I am saying is that 'gay rights' in Thailand must be done IMO, so that it allows gays to get married and have equal legal rights under the law etc. - but that is it - it must stop there.  Otherwise, as has happened in the west, those 'gay rights' had many unanticipated downstream issues. If a boy decides that he is a girl, but is still an 'intact' boy, then IMO 'gay rights' does not means that he can use the girl's toilets and changerooms if he wants to, and if the girls do not want him to.  Sure - any boy giving him/her abuse in the boy's rooms should and must be brought into line strongly.  But your unlimited views fails to see that 'gay rights' leads to that exact situation which becomes 'trans rights' which leads to all those downstream issues. Gay Rights must be 'controlled' so that it does not take away the rights of girls to things like their privacy for a start, let alone being forced to compete in sports against males.   Surely you understand that and agree with that? Or are you saying that a gay's rights over-ride the rights of girls?? 

Ahh, we finally got to the, "I have a gay friend", non-logic. Classic.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/3/2024 at 4:08 AM, webfact said:

“Thailand will continue to support gender diversity after successfully passing the marriage equality bill. We are looking forward to pushing for gender recognition and sex worker laws,” he said.

So, not only is he ignorant of economic realities but he promotes perversion. Maybe he reckons on compensates for the other.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Ahh, we finally got to the, "I have a gay friend", non-logic. Classic.

You and all your irrational lefty mates is why Lia Thomas did what he/she did.

Any argument that tries to say that what Lia and all his/her mates are doig is OK, is wrong - utterly wrong.

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You are locked into a mindset. You are wrong. You are too old and stubborn to admit you are wrong. We will just leave it at that.

Old School maybe - but I am right - and what Lia Thomas did was wrong. And it is wrong that under the guise of 'gay rights' Lia and all his/her mates that play against girls and demand the right to change in their bathrooms, while still having their full male genitalia on display. 

There is a line to be drawn - and I agree with Caitlyn Jenner, because she is rational person and is not full of lefty lunacy and illogical thinking.  Now you maybe think she is old fashioned and also locked into a mindset too - or you could stop and think and listen to what she has to say. 

Caitlyn Jenner says transgender girls in women's sports is 'unfair' (nbcnews.com)

9 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Any argument that tries to say that what Lia and all his/her mates are doig is OK, is wrong - utterly wrong.

Nothing to do with Thailand. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Lia Thomas is a bloke who cheats at sport to gain fame and fortune in plain sight. There, I said it. Western discourse has become divorced from reality and nobody states the obvious anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DLock said:

Be careful what you wish for.

It's not the utopia you think it is.

But if you want it...have at it.

Good observation. Look at how America is choking on its vomit these days. It's devoid of culture, has lost its moral compass, and is reduced to blindly following this or that meaningless fad. Thailand should ban all this vile rainbow propaganda. 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Nothing to do with Thailand. 

Go back to USA and see it yourself. IF Thailand is not careful, that is what will happen here in 10-15 years. 

Personally I like Thailand the way it is for many reasons - but the biggest is that the Thai society is like it was in the west, before all the 'social agenda' programs driven by activists and nutters started to be implemented and mandated by Government organisations. 

Try thinking ahead - not a common trait of people like yourself (all me and now ) but if you do that think ahead then ask this question.  Other than the provision of 'gay rights' in the form of equal rights in marriage and in partnership under law (which I support), what other changes are really needed in Thailand that would not have a detrimental affect on Thai society. 

12 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Go back to USA and see it yourself. IF Thailand is not careful, that is what will happen here in 10-15 years. 

Personally I like Thailand the way it is for many reasons - but the biggest is that the Thai society is like it was in the west, before all the 'social agenda' programs driven by activists and nutters started to be implemented and mandated by Government organisations. 

Try thinking ahead - not a common trait of people like yourself (all me and now ) but if you do that think ahead then ask this question.  Other than the provision of 'gay rights' in the form of equal rights in marriage and in partnership under law (which I support), what other changes are really needed in Thailand that would not have a detrimental affect on Thai society. 

Insipid fear mongering.

15 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Good post. So many westerners come here, realise that it's a much better place to live than back home, then seem to suffer from a weird kind of culture shock. They then try to import their hideous culture and expect Thailand to be just like America, or whatever dystopia they fled in the first place (the Americans are the worst for this behaviour).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Lia Thomas is a bloke who cheats at sport to gain fame and fortune in plain sight. There, I said it. Western discourse has become divorced from reality and nobody states the obvious anymore. 

Thanks for saying it - and for being rational and logical.  The reason western discourse is divorced from reality (which many do not think/realise it is) is because what started as 'gay rights' and 'equality' has morphed over decades into unwarranted rights for fringe minority groups (like Trans).  

• Thanks 1

Just now, sidneybear said:

Good post. So many westerners come here, realise that it's a much better place to live than back home, then seem to suffer from a weird kind of culture shock. They then try to import their hideous culture and expect Thailand to be just like America, or whatever dystopia they fled in the first place (the Americans are the worst for this behaviour).

Crock of cacao.

The Thai government is gonna do what it's gonna do whatever they do.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Yes indeed - but I do understand that after 4-5-6 decades of living in the west there is a certain ingrained attitude and mindset.  Some of us (IMO the majority) look past those issues and see the benefits of the Thai way of doing things - even thought they often seem irrational. But some of us think that it is possible to have the same 'benefits' of an efficient and well organised and fair system of laws and society that they liked in th west, while still keeping all the things of the Thai culture they like.  The reality is that if Thailand moves towards the western ways then it will become like the west is - and it aint all good - but worse than that, they will lose the good things that makes Thailand what it is.  I remember Prayut saying once when questioned why his Govt was not doing something that is commo9n in the west, that he does not want Thailand to change from being Thai. I did not agree with a lot of the Junta policies and directions, but I agreed on that point - dont change and thereby break something that is good.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Crock of cacao.

The Thai government is gonna do what it's gonna do whatever they do.

I hope so. I'm looking for a repeat of what usually happens: a stern and benevolent return to Thailand's delightful traditions and values once Thaksin's lot get kicked out again. All they do is suck up to the West, importing its vile culture in exchange for a sympathetic ear, while they fill their pockets. 

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Prayut saying once when questioned why his Govt was not doing something that is commo9n in the west, that he does not want Thailand to change from being Thai. I did not agree with a lot of the Junta policies and directions, but I agreed on that point - dont change and thereby break something that is good.  

I was like that too. I actually switched sides when I realised that Thaksin's lot were just soulless Western stooges, and that Thailand would become as vile as the Western world if they were allowed to remain in power for too long.

The funny thing is that there were so many junta huggers on this forum who switched the other way, embracing the likes of Thaksin and the MFP, even though Thaksin's reputation for milking foreigners was well known by then. Look at increases in visa fees, taxes that affect foreigners, etc, yet the lemmings here still hate Prayuth because he doesn't want Thailand to be like the countries said lemmings left behind. Is this a case of Stockholm Syndrome, or just masochism? I really don't understand it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The magical meaningless insult word of moronic right wing reactionaries.

All the Left does is throw worn out labels around, hoping that they will lead to the shutdown of debate and denunciation of their opponents. The Left hasn't realised that people are now brushing off these labels and are laughing at them.

Russians in the Kremlin (what about the CCP in China?), -phobe, -ist, any opposing opinion must be "far right" like a skinhead.... do you have any more? 

3 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

All the Left does is throw worn out labels around, hoping that they will lead to the shutdown of debate and denunciation of their opponents. The Left hasn't realised that people are now brushing off these labels and are laughing at them.

Russians in the Kremlin (what about the CCP in China?), -phobe, -ist, any opposing opinion must be "far right" like a skinhead.... do you have any more? 

On LGBT issues the rhetoric of the fascist Kremlin and western right wingers is basically identical.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

On LGBT issues the rhetoric of the fascist Kremlin and western right wingers is basically identical.

You forgot to mention the Islamic world, or do you support the LGBTQIA faction of the same Saudi government that the US is always pandering to?