Should a man know how to use a drill ?

27 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

All you need is the number on your phone,  of a person who can use a drill.  There is no point demeaning yourself with manual work. 

That was true in America and Thailand but the last 15 years I get the feeling their main preoccupation is to mess with you.  If a contractor tells you they will be there at  noon it can translated to I might show-up tomorrow but probably not.  The good ones are so busy they just tell you the truth which is you are probably better off digging the ditch or fixing the plumbing yourself because I'm too busy at the moment and my peers will mess with your head.

I now just watch Youtube vids and do OK. If all else fails, I've become very proficient with fixing things with a combination of duck tape, contact glue, and zip ties.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J Branche said:

No time to read previous posts.

Anyone who believes these off cuff comments has a distorted perspective.  We all have varied skill sets.  There are some extremely smart people who may have never used a drill but achieved great success.  Learn not to give a F and enjoy your life 

The OP mops the floors in a pubic hospital, comes to Pattaya for a couple of weeks once a year renting a shoe box size room and likes to complain.... A lot.

He has not acheived great succes.

Some people are handy, most are not. You start when you are a teenager and, if you like to fix and invent, you can do almost anything. You start fixing your bicycle, moped, car, work with wood, paint, tiles, plumbing, open and repair small appliances, etc.

7 hours ago, charleskerins said:
On 6/4/2024 at 2:55 AM, transam said:

A real man would not write this thread.......:huh:

OUCH

hey... he can push a broom like no other. 

23 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

He has not acheived great succes.

clearly you missed the part where he walked up and down the manila subway....at night....alone. that's big boy territory. 

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

clearly you missed the part where he walked up and down the manila subway....at night....alone. that's big boy territory. 

The post came across as he was putting himself as a rent boy, Kinda creepy for a "man" of his age... but I wont judge.

.... does that count as "big boy territory" ?

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

The post came across as he was putting himself as a rent boy, Kinda creepy for a "man" of his age... but I wont judge.

.... does that count as "big boy territory" ?

na. 

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

That was true in America and Thailand but the last 15 years I get the feeling their main preoccupation is to mess with you.  If a contractor tells you they will be there at  noon it can translated to I might show-up tomorrow but probably not.  The good ones are so busy they just tell you the truth which is you are probably better off digging the ditch or fixing the plumbing yourself because I'm too busy at the moment and my peers will mess with your head.

I now just watch Youtube vids and do OK. If all else fails, I've become very proficient with fixing things with a combination of duck tape, contact glue, and zip ties.

It’s funny I installed two deadbolts. I hated it because the chizling part drives me crazy and it’s really easy to chisel a huge chunk off and completely screw up the threashold. So I called a pro on the third one thinking how smooth his skills would be. Next thing I know he’s hammering away at something and all hell is breaking loose. My paint is cracking near the door, and he took longer than I ever took to install one. I finally realized you must do these things yourself my god you just must. 

I often find myself joking now the only tool thai men really need or use is a hammer. Go to a construction site. You’ll see. It’s all hammers. Everyone of them is hammering. All day

27 minutes ago, frequentatore said:

Some people are handy, most are not. You start when you are a teenager and, if you like to fix and invent, you can do almost anything. You start fixing your bicycle, moped, car, work with wood, paint, tiles, plumbing, open and repair small appliances, etc.

Even if you’re not handy at all you can do it. The problem imo is people give up after they try to fix something and they break it or worse hurt themselves. You gotta push through those tough times son. Hard times make hard men

Not even kidding. Op. Go buy a corded black and decker “hammer” drill. And don’t look back. Drill holes in every wall you want. The nice part about drilling holes in walls is it takes about a minute and a half to fix a drill hole with some grout, as long as you can get the damn plastic thing out but I usually just do like the Thai and hammer it into the wall more and grout over it

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 1:53 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Does a "real man " know how to use a DRILL, should we all know how to put door frames on ,how to use a SAW ,a DRILL ?

On 6/4/2024 at 3:07 PM, georgegeorgia said:

And yet you have never walked the Manila Subway at night have you !

Admit it !

I done 2 nights at around 11pm walking back n forth ! 

You have to take your OP and your first reply, as they are very confusing and sounds like made out of person who never had the need to use things, at the same time combines bad knowledge with doing stupid things. After that, sounding proud over have been walking the Manila subway at night, looking as you were a tough guy.

First, using a drill, saw or screwdriver are just things that most of the men in the world have been using during their life. Actually, I do think more than 2/3 of all the women have been using the tools as well. Same as during time living alone in life, I used a thread and needle to repair my broken favorite shirt. This is not something strange, but not knowing how to use these very common tools are definitely strange.

When someone tells you that, you double up with the tough guy attitude of walking the Manila subway at night, both up and down. Hilarious dude, you take the price!

It´s not possible to add in to compare your walk, because that´s a stupid thing to do. Using tools, is practical and most of the times needed in life. My wife can repair the car which is actually nice working together, getting a little bit dirty and oily, ya know. 😉 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

It’s funny I installed two deadbolts. I hated it because the chizling part drives me crazy and it’s really easy to chisel a huge chunk off and completely screw up the threashold. So I called a pro on the third one thinking how smooth his skills would be. Next thing I know he’s hammering away at something and all hell is breaking loose. My paint is cracking near the door, and he took longer than I ever took to install one. I finally realized you must do these things yourself my god you just must. 

I often find myself joking now the only tool thai men really need or use is a hammer. Go to a construction site. You’ll see. It’s all hammers. Everyone of them is hammering. All day

You would think a pro would have a router and jig for just a job.

Posted (edited)

I guess changing a car tire is out of the question. As a kid we'd patch our own bike tires and if need be on my big bike. Today I wouldn't really bother and take it to the shop.

Hey GG, at least tell us you can drive a manual transmission.

Edited by EVENKEEL

On 6/5/2024 at 6:27 AM, atpeace said:

I rarely use them since I fell in love with contact cement.  I tell myself that it is the better option and it isn't as permanent as a drill hole and I always make mistakes.  For those seldom drill users, HTF do you tell the difference between the cement and metal bits.  I gave up and just go with the right size.

image.jpeg.d7afabf1f817948cc5ce0f46f4620c8b.jpegcement image.jpeg.7032776002a2ed891eedf8d26c1eadbb.jpegmetal      The tips and thread are different.

On 6/5/2024 at 6:35 PM, atpeace said:

So true…. doing a project myself after the contractor started messing around with timing.

(& I’m now I’m behind schedule & effing knackered !)

On 6/6/2024 at 1:05 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I guess changing a car tire is out of the question. As a kid we'd patch our own bike tires and if need be on my big bike. Today I wouldn't really bother and take it to the shop.

Hey GG, at least tell us you can drive a manual transmission.

how about manual crash gearbox?