Lack of Digital and Literacy Skills May Result 3.3T Baht Loss for Thailand's Economy

1647623820898.jpg

On June 3rd, 2024, Mr. Danucha Pichayanan, the head of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC), disclosed the employment numbers for the first three months of 2024. The data showed there were slightly fewer people employed, 39.6 million in total, a small decrease of 0.1% from the previous year.

Mr. Danucha explained that one significant shift was a drop of 5.7% in jobs in the agricultural sector after the season ended. However, other sectors saw an increase in employment. The hospitality industry, for example, had a 10.6% rise in workers, and the construction sector's workforce grew by 5%.

In reaction to the Thai government's policy to increase the minimum wage starting January 1st, 2024, private companies boosted their employees' wages by an average of 0.5%, raising the average monthly salary to 13,789 baht. However, when looking across all sectors, the average monthly wage decreased by 0.4% to 15,052 baht. Even so, with an inflation decrease, the actual wages were improved.

In addition, the unemployment rate was better, with a decrease of 3.2% in the number of people out of work, which was now estimated to be above 410,000. This resulted mainly from fewer out-of-work graduates who had work experience. Nevertheless, there was an increase in unemployment among recent graduates aged 20-24, who made up the most significant proportion of those unemployed.

Mr. Danucha also highlighted an issue about the lack of skilled workers in Thailand, which could cause long-term problems for the country's economy. According to a survey called Adult Skills Assessment in Thailand (ASAT), over 64.7% of people have lower-than-average reading skills, and more than 74.1% have lower than average digital skills. This means that there are a lot of Thai adults who have trouble with basic reading and computer use.

Also, a survey called "We are Social" that looked into Social Media Statistics, ranked Thailand 39th in digital skills out of 63 countries. Mr. Danucha pointed out that poor digital skills could lead to an economic loss of up to 3.3 trillion baht per year for Thailand.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

Posted (edited)

Did i miss anything

"Lack of Digital and Literacy Skills May Result 3.3T Baht Loss for Thailand's Economy"

Hardly seems a reason For such a loss

Edited by Pouatchee

17 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Did i miss anything

"Lack of Digital and Literacy Skills May Result 3.3T Baht Loss for Thailand's Economy"

Where did they address anything from the title?

Nope - they seem to be missing the reference article. 

• Haha 1

In another is Thailand the sick man in Asia. This is an example what causes economic problems. Lack of education, lack of view, lack of entering the 21st century and outdated governors

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

over 64.7% of people have lower-than-average reading skills, and more than 74.1% have lower than average digital skills. This means that there are a lot of Thai adults who have trouble with basic reading and computer use.

It's funny how Mr Danucha felt the need of having to translate his statistics into a simple conclusion. I'm guessing his target audience was the government, which would explain that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In addition, the unemployment rate was better, with a decrease of 3.2% in the number of people out of work, which was now estimated to be above 410,000.

And if you believe those figures you also believe in fairy's, Unicorns and sorry to break it to the kids father Christmas.

"over 64.7% of people have lower-than-average reading skills, and more than 74.1% have lower than average digital skills" 

How? 

Surely 50% must be better than *average* and 50% worse? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SportRider said:

"over 64.7% of people have lower-than-average reading skills, and more than 74.1% have lower than average digital skills" 

How? 

Maybe, the survey was held at "universities", as the "average".

One of the mystifying, yet understandable issues with Thailand. You announce a strategy a few years back to become the hub, yes the 'hub', of the internet for ASEAN. Of course there is no plan....I mean why would you want literate of numerate graduates? So there is no plan, and as far as I can see, there is not a single website built by any Thai institution that actually works reliably. So repeating myself, there is no plan to make Thailand the ASEAN hub of the internet, I have to imagine that it is supposed to happen by accident. Now I have been trying to make myself the hub of playboys of the world.....it hasn't happened yet but is sure to in the next decade. While I'm waiting to become the hub of playboys, I am going to become the hub of Bitcoin and the hub of EVs

Lack of Digital and Literacy Skills May Result 3.3T Baht Loss for Thailand's Economy.

The Problem I think is that many students Don't want to learn /Attending school.

That is what  I see around here in the  South.

I think the major one problem is the  Cost for the  Uni Tuition Fees.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SportRider said:

How? 

My 16 year old son who is fluent in speaking, reading and writing English came to me with a form to fill out in Thai, he asked me to help with the spelling (I can read Thai fluently). I was shocked, he is a class A student at a good school. "You're Thai", I said, "and you can't spell your own language". "I can" he said defensively,"but Thai is difficult to spell some words", "like what" I asked, "อังกฤษ'' (English) he said embarrassed.

Edited by soalbundy

12 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Lack of Digital and Literacy Skills May Result 3.3T Baht Loss for Thailand's Economy.

The Problem I think is that many students Don't want to learn /Attending school.

That is what  I see around here in the  South.

I think the major one problem is the  Cost for the  Uni Tuition Fees.

I'm only guessing, but I'd wager a lot of it is because they're not taught anything except obedience. Who would want to go to school when all they tell you is do what you're told. Be a good Thai citizen. Don't think. Don't ask questions.

My ex wife left school at age 13. Had enough being slapped and yelled at. So, she looked after her siblings when her mum and dad went to work in the fields. She described the rage she felt at the way the teachers treated the kids, and what she wanted to do to them. It was decades ago, but has it changed much, 'cos the root cause hasn't?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Very sore point. The education system is inextricably intertwined with indoctrination. So any criticism thereof, and you're on thin ice. The argument can only end with one conclusion, and in my experience, it's not one many Thais find easy to swallow. Sooner or later.though, they will have to admit it, and embrace the paradigm shift needed to change the whole system. But we've all seen what happens to people trying to bring about that change. Some get bail. Many don't. That's the reality. For Srettha and other members of the hiso establishment it's a total disgrace that they can pretend not to see why it's happening, and sacrifice generations of young people's futures for the sake of one ageing one.

Well said...

No surprises there. Just look at Vietnam's young professionals and compare them with Thailand's - Thailand doesn't stand a chance to compete.

That also can't be fixed anytime soon, as the biggest issue is the Thai education system that would need to be redesigned from the ground up. Results could then be expected when those who enter primary school will start to work, or in other words, about 15 years after meaningful reforms have been implemented. By that time, Vietnam will already be so far ahead of Thailand that catching up won't be possible anymore.

Then there's demographics, I don't even know what it would take.