Do we actually need to Retire?

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

Retired at 45. Been with around 1500 different women since. It sure beats working.

Anyone here that's flown in or out of Swampy has been around 1,500 women in the same building, at the same time, and all at once. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

Retired at 45. Been with around 1500 different women since. It sure beats working.

Also retired at 45/46 yrs old, now 69, and if had say, about 5 happy massages a month (5.2 exactly), that would be knocking on 1500.

Sad part would be if retired, living in TH, and actually had to P4P.  Nothing I'd be bragging about :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Also retired at 45/46 yrs old, now 69, and if had say, about 5 happy massages a month (5.2 exactly), that would be knocking on 1500.

Sad part would be if retired, living in TH, and actually had to P4P.  Nothing I'd be bragging about :coffee1:

You get free happy massages? How nice for you.

And it was in Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, the Philippines, China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia. And, of course, Thailand. Oh, and Mexico and Costa Rica. I probably forgot a couple.

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

You get free happy massages? How nice for you.

And it was in Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, the Philippines, China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia. And, of course, Thailand. Oh, and Mexico and Costa Rica. I probably forgot a couple.

No, I don't do massages, free or paid, and don't do P4P, as simply don't need to.  Paying for sex doesn't interest me at all, and takes away half the adventure, experience.   Enjoying the company of a like minded person is much more enjoyable ... IMHO

I guess P4P has it's place for many, and sampled myself 2X, and that was enough to realize, it's not really for me.  Might have it's place for introverts, or on a short holiday and having the urge.

• Like 1

Interesting subject. I will retire at the end of this month at 61.5 years old. If the office would keep me on, I'd probably continue as I am only working 3 days a week now, working from home (upcountry). It's not so much the money, but just to keep me occupied. Obviously, I'll have to adapt as the office has had enough of me after 31 1/2 years with them. I'll just have to do more cycling and really get back into fishing.   

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you have a choice to stop working, it depends on whether you enjoy your work and the purpose of your work matches your values. 

Retirement is a relatively modern concept.

well I retired at 58 as I maxed out...if I continued working, I would be earning about 25 cents an hour... I had seen others hang around even in that situation and recalled how they everntually regretted not leaving earlier.  If one wishes to continue working go for it...I loved my job but some of my co-workers were of the younger generations and I am not a particular fan of those groups.  Wonder how the changing society of many western countries affects the younger generations in such a negative way - one may disagree with my opinion but if so please advise me why people are no longer happy and want to violently disagree with us older folks.  Peace to all, be happy, be healthy, SMILE

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting ..topic ..I suppose as mentioned its individual choice ...and what job you did or proffesion ..I am still working off n on in entertainment business on ships ..I feel lucky ..at 72 I still get few gigs..I hv to say I also spent ten years at butlins from redcoat to mc ..holiday complex ..and I never got near 1500 ..even though red jacket was a p..u s..y magnet 🧲...

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I had the good furtune to be offered an early retirement at age 46 due to a Navy base closure which I jumped on. What this afforded me was to think about what adventures I'd like to try. I worked a contract for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines which I'd probably still be doing except you had to work 7 days a week. We all need a weekly day off. After that, I decided after over a decade of being a scuba Divemaster that I'd get my Instructor certification. Thailand reportedly had one of the three best courses, so I came to try that. Nice for a few years but working so hard for NO money (not even tips) didn't set well.

OK, I want to stay in Thailand, what am I qualified to do? Teaching English was a logical choice. And I'm STILL doing that now, though I fell into a sweet gig - part time, and I am my own master at this school. Works well for them, works well for me, and I plan on staying at this school as long as my body will allow it.

Bottom line - I've had periods of complete retirement and found myself bored to tears. I really believe having a reason to look forward to weekends instead of EVERY day being a Saturday is the way to go.

WELL, I was always told by those that did retire that the saying is "the first thing one must think about upon waking is "whether today will be a Saturday or a Sunday""  I realize if one practices certain religions, the  actual day of the week might change.  To me, I always refer to the dictionary if I am uncertain about the meaning of a word - retire/retirement is defined as quit work/no work! and I believe in that!

• Thumbs Up 1

I was forced to retire at 55 due to physical disability. I tried for five more years to find something I could reliably do but no luck.Finally applied for SSI and was almost immediately approved. The five years with no salary did hurt.

i do have good days when I can do fun stuff in the kitchen, but not reliably enough to make a business of it. Besides Mrs Kwai gets irritable if I mess up her kitchen.😜

• Like 2

As retirement gets close for office workers like me you see life without the office bureaucracy and can be tempting to retire. Working from home 3 days a week thanks to post covid work rules made life easier though. Some work mates have left and gone to less brain intensive work to extend their work life. I am on leave and can continue through to retirement. Think I won't go back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

As retirement gets close for office workers like me you see life without the office bureaucracy and can be tempting to retire. Working from home 3 days a week thanks to post covid work rules made life easier though. Some work mates have left and gone to less brain intensive work to extend their work life. I am on leave and can continue through to retirement. Think I won't go back. 

My last 10 yrs was usually a 2 day work week (back to back), leaving 5 days off.   Only reason I lasted as long as I did there.   No way could I do 9-5/5 days a week, for my last 10 yrs of employment.  Bennies helped also for keeping me there.  That was 33 yrs ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Try retiring in an expensive country. The cleaner tried 6 weeks in a cheap city and was bored so it is not for everyone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Try retiring in an expensive country. The cleaner tried 6 weeks in a cheap city and was bored so it is not for everyone.

That was a lot more about the cleaner, than the city, expensive or not, as didn't complain about cost.

If retiring in a more expensive country, then have more funds.   If I planned on retiring in the USA, I would not have liquidated my RE, or stopped trading in the market.

Which would have provided steady income, and much bigger oops fund, in just a few year, as in 3 maybe, if not less.

If not such a LPOS, and having so much fun the last 10 years of 'employment', could have retired much earlier, just didn't see the need or desire to.

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That was a lot more about the cleaner, than the city, expensive or not, as didn't complain about cost.

If retiring in a more expensive country, then have more funds.   If I planned on retiring in the USA, I would not have liquidated my RE, or stopped trading in the market.

Which would have provided steady income, and much bigger oops fund, in just a few year, as in 3 maybe, if not less.

If not such a LPOS, and having so much fun the last 10 years of 'employment', could have retired much earlier, just didn't see the need or desire to.

I can see what he is getting at though he didn't make enough effort to do more. 20 years of gym, beach walks and cheap massages could be 19 years too long. 

• Agree 1

Worked with my best mate (price-work brickwork) for 25 years.It was fun all the way with decent cash plus lots of ale.

He retired at 50 to go live in Portugal and i came here a few years later.

I reckon i could have worked on but a lot of the fun went when my mate fxxked off.

Retired at 50 been here 15 years.

I slept with hundreds of beautiful women, drank gallons of wine, and visited all over Asia many times.

Regret retiring?  what are you on? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I slept with hundreds of beautiful women, drank gallons of wine, and visited all over Asia many times.

You are proud of sleeping with houndreds of thai/asian women? You must be one kind of a rock star, aint you ? 

Living the dream

Edited by Hummin

Just now, Hummin said:

You are proud of sleeping with houndreds of thai/asian women? You must be one kind of a rock star, aint you ? 

Living the dream

Yea love it - thanks bro

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gargamon said:

What I said was:

I dunno where you get 'being around 1500 women' from. You need to “bone“ up on your English obviously. Maybe read up what the word “with“ means. 

Go have a coffee (or tea) in some cafe. You'll be “around“  a few women. You won't be “with“ any of them.

They are only jealous - rock until you drop! 

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Whats that saying and please in all your fine wisdom please correct me 

And who said it ?

WINE WOMEN & SONG 

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

All my work-life I've been working hard, and actually had no intention of stop working just because I reached the age of 70, the old time retirement age in my Scandinavian home country.

When a friend finally convinced me to take 10 days off from work at age 52 and joining him on a trip to a small tropical island in Gulf of Thailand – he actually had bought a ticket for me and called saying I owed him money for a ticket to Bangkok, as we had talked about a trip to Thailand for several years, but it never materialized – I began to rethink the purpose of working, when staying of this island's Bounty-style beach...:whistling:

Two and a half years later I bought a small plot of land on the very same beach, as my friend had introduced me to, realizing that it was not worth to work hard – even I by working many more years could make little extra savings for later, after paying more than 50 percent income tax – instead I began planning on early retirement and to enjoy life, while I was still fit for joyful living, rather than having plenty of fund later at old age, but not being able to use them due to age and physically worn-out conditions. When is enough, enough?

At age 56 I was able to stop working for money, got rid of my small business and sold my property in my home country. That was probably the best decision I ever made, and now 18 years after I don't regret it; I'm sitting under same palm trees on the same beach as in 2001 and are still capable of fully enjoying my life....:thumbsup: 

It wasn't a good decision 

Now you have NO property to go back to ???

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Whats that saying and please in all your fine wisdom please correct me 

And who said it ?

WINE WOMEN & SONG 

Johann knew a thing or two  🙂