Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

READ the WHOLE thing.
TOO many people got to "requiring platforms with an income of 1 billion baht" and decided that didn't apply to them so they STOPPED reading.
LOOK at the last 2 paragraphs:

So what they are saying is they are planning on taxing YOU on ANY income you have made ANYWHERE in the world - even if you DON'T send ANY of it to Thailand.

So YOU are going to be treated just like any other Thai citizen - except you can't buy land, vote, get a passport (ect ect). 

Essentially "taxation without representation" which I suspect is not a consideration in Thai law.

Though I wonder how they will verify that you have made any money anywhere in the world if you don't tell them about it ? I seriously doubt too many gov'ts in the world are going to divulge that information about their own citizens.

The US and most other countries in the world already share this information under automatic information sharing agreements. 

One of the reasons you are asked which countries you are a citizen of and a tax resident of when you open bank accounts is to make that automatic sharing easier. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, buriram39 said:

What exchange rates will they use? The whole thing is ludicrous.

Given this is fairly common practice for individuals in most countries and for businesses across borders daily there are rules around the conversion rates. Typically you can use actual rates if you’ve got details of every transaction by date OR an average rate monthly/annually. 

The whole thing simply aligns Thai tax more closely with the tax regimes of the countries most of us come from 🙂 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:
13 hours ago, medina21 said:

This article sows more confusion. Are we now going to be taxed on overseas income, irrespective of whether that income is remitted to Thailand?

If you didn't pay tax anywhere for it - yes.

And what about if you are not eligible to pay tax in your home country due to a low income level? The UK keeps raising the minimum level required before you need to pay tax, for example.

I for one will no longer transfer any money into Thailand and pay most of my bills with a foreign credit card, as I do if I book a hotel or flight.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sandrew33 said:

Those tax free thresholds are usually much lower if you have advised your UK/Aussie etc tax authorities that you are no longer tax resident there and are in fact tax resident in Thailand. 

Regardless, the income would be taxable in Thailand if you are resident here with a credit allowed for any tax paid in the UK. 

Doesn't really apply to me. My income level in the UK means I pay no tax regardless of where I live, but you are saying the Thai government rules about my UK income take precedence over UK law. That's interesting.

31 minutes ago, buriram39 said:

What exchange rates will they use? The whole thing is ludicrous.

The BOT or bank rates. It on the tax website.

From Mazars

. A tax return and tax payment must be completed and made in Thai baht. The foreign currency must be converted into Thai baht by applying the average rate based on the selling and buying rate calculated by the Bank of Thailand at the time that the income was earned or the expenses were incurred.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Kulaya mentioned plans to expand the tax base by requiring platforms with an income of 1 billion baht or more to report their sources of income.

What does this even mean? "Platforms" with an income of 1 billion baht?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

Those tax free thresholds are usually much lower if you have advised your UK/Aussie etc tax authorities that you are no longer tax resident there and are in fact tax resident in Thailand. 

Regardless, the income would be taxable in Thailand if you are resident here with a credit allowed for any tax paid in the UK. 

Thats the choice one makes.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Doesn't really apply to me. My income level in the UK means I pay no tax regardless of where I live, but you are saying the Thai government rules about my UK income take precedence over UK law. That's interesting.

Thailand follow their laws if you are living/resident in Thailand. You can make use of the DTA to manage the type of income and offset taxes already paid in the UK.

Edited by freeworld
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

What does this even mean? "Platforms" with an income of 1 billion baht?

Probably means companies and online platforms earning income of 1 billion baht. Probably just a term tax and accountants used when speaking as the reporter has written it.