Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

4 hours ago, tomkenet said:

Please keep to topic, the recently proposed change :

Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

Do we assume that the Thais will go after our tax exempt earnings in our home countries

(eg. in the UK the first (approx) £12.5K PA is untaxed)

Is the assumption they'll want to tax that £12.5K?

16 minutes ago, BruceWayne said:

Do we assume that the Thais will go after our tax exempt earnings in our home countries

(eg. in the UK the first (approx) £12.5K PA is untaxed)

Is the assumption they'll want to tax that £12.5K?

Yes and no. The UK personal allowance does not carry across but is instead replaced by Tax Exemptions and Deductions (TEDA) within the Thai system. For a person over age 65 years, TEDA can be a very close equivalent.

The persistent bickering and point scoring going on between the same people is becoming very tiresome.

Agree to disagree, walk away, find another topic or whatever it takes, but be warned if it persists a more permanent solution will be implemented.

• Like 2

Despite the fact that we don't know WTH Thailand will do re: taxes, I've already stopped ATM withdrawals, curtailed spending drastically and begun looking at other destinations to live for 6 months and 2 weeks out of the year. I'm not living on a shoestring, but I'm certainly not spending what was common for me every month.

If they tax pensions as income without regard to remittances, I'll only be living here for 175 Days.

And I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Foxx said:

You previously wrote "The only time you get benefits is if you pay into the social security system, just ;like in most countries" which is what I was responding to.

The pension is not paid from the SSF and does not require membership and fees.  To quote the ILO

UHC may be only for Thai nationals, but it is clearly a case of getting benefits without paying into the social security system.

In short, your previous assertion is wrong, and your facts about the state pension in Thailand are also wrong.

There are 3 different health systems. 

I was on Social Security because of the monthly payments I paid when working here. This is for foreigners and Thais. 

I turned 55 recently and took the one time lump sum instead of the pension, which would only have been 4,000 baht a month, which is paid from SSF. 

I opted for the voluntary payment to keep the health insurance when stopping working. This is 432 baht a month for life. 

However, I became a Thai citizen and changed to the Bat Thong, or what many still call the 30 baht health care, which is actually better than SS health care and I pay nothing. Actually, I somehow managed to get 1,500 a month from SSO. 

When I'm 60, I go to the provincial office to claim the old age pension of 600 baht a month, which is not from SSF. 

The main benefit all foreigners here enjoy,  and that's based on taxes: you live in a more or less functioning country, with infrastructure including a legal system (laws and law enforcement) 

There are roads, you don't get robbed if you go out without your gun, there are doctors and hospitals,  there is a usable currency and there are banks, and and and... there even is a weather forecast. 

There are plenty of places in the world where you don't have to file taxes:

Haiti, Somalia, the highlands of Papua, Western Sudan, Antarctica, international waters...

Even Cambodia doesn't force you to pay taxes. But only one member actually moved there. He writes he is happy there. Most of the others prefer to stay in Thailand and complain.

(BTW half of Cambodia's formal GDP is the scam industry,  based on kidnapped and trafficked foreign slaves)

https://www.usip.org/publications/2024/05/transnational-crime-southeast-asia-growing-threat-global-peace-and-security

Edited by Lorry
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Even Cambodia doesn't force you to pay taxes. But only one member actually moved there. He writes he is happy there. Most of the others prefer to stay in Thailand and complain.

Indeed, down here in Cambodia things may be changing, they don't currently have a personal income tax filing method - at the moment.

They've apparently been promising to introduce something but delayed it over the years, currently delayed until the end of this year so nobody knows what will happen next year right now. My money is on another delay but who knows, or even cares