Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:

So, Thailand will refer to the income in your bank account for their taxes claim?
Your income, but also every amount that is put in your bank account as a gift, donation, etc.?
Crazy

Nope, just numbers with a 1099 (US, or foreign eqivalent) delineating income. Other cash flow will not be considered income. Thailand may get final income numbers, when you do you 1040 tax return -- and include income from self-assessment. But right now, it doesn't appear FATCA reporting of US income involves reporting a 1040 tax return. Reporting worldwide income to Thailand should be similar to doing your US 1040, with exceptions for income excluded via DTA. Income not subject to 1099s or W2s could be ignored, if you'd like to cheat.

36 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Nope, just numbers with a 1099 (US, or foreign eqivalent) delineating income. Other cash flow will not be considered income. Thailand may get final income numbers, when you do you 1040 tax return -- and include income from self-assessment. But right now, it doesn't appear FATCA reporting of US income involves reporting a 1040 tax return. Reporting worldwide income to Thailand should be similar to doing your US 1040, with exceptions for income excluded via DTA. Income not subject to 1099s or W2s could be ignored, if you'd like to cheat.

The numbers you quote are TAX-Form numbers.
I was referring to my bank account.
My bank account shows the monthly deposit of my pension (= monthly income with tax already deducted), but also other deposits like refunds from my health care provider / refunds of the taxman / etc.
These are not income as it is a refund on money that was already paid by me.
If the Thai IRS will use my bank account to calculate the taxes rather than my tax declaration, it will include several deposits that are not an income.

On 6/19/2024 at 4:06 PM, Presnock said:

DTA treaties deleted

If the Thai government were ever minded to unilaterally ditch DTA's, then they had better IMHO brace themselves for swift retaliatory action from our home country governments, in the form of travel bans and the freezing of Thai assets held in our home countries, much like those which were imposed on Putin and various Russian oligarghs in the wake of his Ukrainian "special military operation". Once Thai hiso's with sizeable frozen assets in our home countries start squealing like stuck pigs, we can but hope that this might finally knock some sense into the government on this whole matter.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

They may not "unilaterally ditch DTAs".

They may introduce so much red tape (if you want to apply a DTA) that you may prefer to pay tax.

Just the obvious requirements that some tax offices may require: get your foreign tax return translated into Thai by a certified translator,  get it stamped by the Thai embassy,  your country's embassy here and the MFA. I'd rather pay 5000 baht tax. 

BTW obviously, the TRD wil use the Thai version of the DTA. We have seen,  in the video from the French embassy, that this may not be how foreigners understand the foreign version. Have fun!

Yes, that's more likely

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

If the Thai government were ever minded to unilaterally ditch DTA's, then they had better IMHO brace themselves for swift retaliatory action from our home country governments, in the form of travel bans and the freezing of Thai assets held in our home countries, much like those which were imposed on Putin and various Russian oligarghs in the wake of his Ukrainian "special military operation". Once Thai hiso's with sizeable frozen assets in our home countries start squealing like stuck pigs, we can but hope that this might finally knock some sense into the government on this whole matter.

Seem to recall that the UK DTA has a 6 month notice period in it so if Thailand were to decide to withdraw then as long as it gave the 6 months notice before doing so there would be absolutely no fall out from it, UK just wouldn't care* as on balance there's nothing in that agreement for them. 

*If you want to know how much the UK cares about it's pensioners living in Thailand, read up on "Frozen Pensions"

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:18 AM, Mike Teavee said:

Great so I leave the 800k in the bank all year round, am not in a motorcycle gang (don't even ride one), even have Health Insurance & you want me to be kicked out of Thailand (where I've lived for the past 5 years, had a Non-IMM O for 7) just because I'm only 58? 

Gee Thanks

I think that if they do change the visa retirements to age 60, they will most likely grandfather those current retirement  visa holders that are under age 60 and the new age would apply to any new applicants.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/19/2024 at 2:39 PM, Confuscious said:

This is getting crazy.
Better leaving Thailand and don't stay here longer that 179 days.
That's what they want, or not?

Totally, hence the new visa for twice 180 days over a period of 5 years. I think is all well planned, and IMHO been WIP over the past 5 years.

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Surely you jest! Since when and where was Thailand ever known for planning anything correctly over long periods? Planning is just not something they do, getting lucky is what they do, from time to time.

Ok, wait and "see".

59 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

AMEN! I just wish my wife would make the choice to leave, I decided forcing her to do so would not be a good choice, it has to be her choice. But I personally hate our life here, I just want to go back home where I can drive, walk, cross a road in peace and safety. To where the air and water are clean, people follow rules and laws, and life is not so fast paced, get back to hiking, camping, and fishing back in the rural USA. My daughter would also gain from not growing up in this cesspool of selfish people, mass-corruption, pollution and lawlessness.

I know how you feel, and if we moved back home with our families the risk they would hate living there is significant. Imagine the cost failure. Anyhow, without an income of less than 10000 Euros a month it would be impossible to establish a family in any of the EU countries. I don't even mention Australia which is even more expensive now.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Surely you jest! Since when and where was Thailand ever known for planning anything correctly over long periods? Planning is just not something they do, getting lucky is what they do, from time to time.

They use the same explanation for not having done  "preventive maintenance" a concept missing in most cases here.

• Agree 1

Within a few weeks, if the conservatives have their way, many of you will be calling your airline for a one-way ticket. 

That includes some of you who think you are secure. 

I've said it before on this thread. This tax issue is a sideline. Go back and read what happened when health insurance was imposed on O-A visa holders. 

Many were uninsurable due to age. I knew a retired lawyer who ended up paying around 170,000 baht in premiums. 

I'll say it again - do not make any financial commitment to Thailand just now. The review results are imminent and as a wealthy, Thai fluent expat of 30 years standing told me yesterday, things are looking bad. 

I don't want to name him, but a well known expat vlogger who was invited into immigration before the last imbroglio ( black listing for overstay ) has gone quiet. 

Immigration asked him to announce the new policy explaining the does and don'ts last time. His silence just now is a concern. 

Edit to explain. The last time he made the announcement this forum blocked his thread until they verified who he was. A couple of days later they released the info he had provided. 

Be rest assured, among the hundreds of worthless vloggers, there's a small coterie who are watched and trusted by immigration. He is one of them. 

Edited by theblether
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I was one of those here on an O-A extension at that time and I was very negatively affected as I was one of the "fools" who believed that all I needed to do was fill out the form to prove I had health insurance from my home country which met or exceeded the requirements and covered me here in Thailand... so I wasted a lot of time, energy and money trying to accomplish this impossible task (to no avail).

Hence, I had to exit Thailand and re-enter on a visa exempt and start the process all over to get a new 90 day Non Imm -O visa and 12 month extension.  

Just another bad memory for me jumping through unnecessary hoops while trying to live a peaceful easy retirement life here in Thailand.

I have lots of horror stories for example, dealing with an impossible rogue IO in the province I used to live (she was the reason I moved to Udon at that time), TM30 nightmares, Covid misery and I could go on and on but I won't.

It just gets old and I think there is definitely a motive behind all the madness we must navigate while living in Thailand.

I'm sorry to hear that and I witnessed a few dire stories including extraordinary attempts by IO to extort bribes from vulnerable people. 

I tend to limit what I post on the forum as some of the real life stories are jaw-dropping. 

Some forum members will remember the imbroglio re the vlogger to which I refer. It was a poor episode in the life of this forum. 

However, many more members will know to what extent your "connected police brother-in-law" runs for the hills when the conservatives appear. 

Clearly that happened during the coup when there was a mass ass-collapse when the military turned up. 

Lesser known to we Westerners are the times conservatives clip the wings of the uppity. I've seen major hotels ordered shut as the owners crossed the wrong people. 

But, hey - according to many farangs they don't know what they are doing. Don't be kidded. As you know from bitter experience, when they make a move they are brutally effective. In fact, you could say at times, cruelly effective. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, theblether said:

Within a few weeks, if the conservatives have their way, many of you will be calling your airline for a one-way ticket. 

That includes some of you who think you are secure. 

Some may do what you say, but many will just file and pay their taxes. I want to spend more time with my loved ones anyway, so I will just spend 5 mths in the US, 5 mths in Thailand and spend the rest of the time traveling with my wife outside of Thailand. It's not a problem for me. I know others who live here, but work outside of Thailand, and are here for less than 180 days, so it's not a problem for them either. I feel badly for those who don't have those options, it really sucks.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1