Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

19 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

It isn't a "report" it's a Bangkok Post "Explainer" article that basically breaks down the proposal in simple terms.  

The only thing "new" that I saw was that the CRS information that everyone around here seems so certain is the "game changer" only provides - according to the article - investment related information.  It does not encompass all financial related matters pertaining to individuals.  For example, it apparently doesn't provide information on individual wages or salary.  

There is included to comments to the BP on this ariticle so the comments are just like those here, so the government is well aware of the feelings of the expats and the possible exit of many.

50 minutes ago, Presnock said:

There is included to comments to the BP on this ariticle so the comments are just like those here, so the government is well aware of the feelings of the expats and the possible exit of many.

There are two interesting recent precedents of countries tightening the IT rules for foreign retirees: Portugal and Malaysia, both resorted to a mix of delay and gradual implementation as they understood that Brutality wasn't the answer. But TIT the LOB.

21 minutes ago, Vulture82 said:

I am leaving today, infact I booked 1 month ago just for this mess... been a long lurker of this thread, clarity zero. Forget about buying a condo/house or even leasing land as most countries where they tax you based on residency, use exactly that as the proof your "interests" are in fact, in that country (hence they consider you resident there). Also... even if they now backpedal, the damage is done, do you trust Thai govt to never change idea about residency t&c... I think this is a country to come and be here for the smallest amount of time before they start to pluck you out of your money... This country is for tourists, not residents.

Prepare for a huge reprice of land/real estates as soon as, in 2025, people will get notified to pay 2024 taxes, around March... gg and gl.

Unfortunattely, I really agree with you and is so sad... really sad... I'm feeling the same, while I had Thailand in my heart like no other country. Any suggestions where to move? I'm about to move to Malaysia or Phills, currently in contact with both, very easy processes to be honest, just open an account, desposit, done... Or buy a small house... Any suggestions please???

Edited by Tonyfarang

25 minutes ago, Vulture82 said:

I am leaving today, infact I booked 1 month ago just for this mess... been a long lurker of this thread, clarity zero. Forget about buying a condo/house or even leasing land as most countries where they tax you based on residency, use exactly that as the proof your "interests" are in fact, in that country (hence they consider you resident there). Also... even if they now backpedal, the damage is done, do you trust Thai govt to never change idea about residency t&c... I think this is a country to come and be here for the smallest amount of time before they start to pluck you out of your money... This country is for tourists, not residents.

Prepare for a huge reprice of land/real estates as soon as, in 2025, people will get notified to pay 2024 taxes, around March... gg and gl.

Your statement regarding how countries define residency is totally incorrect.  For tax purposes, residency is defined as residing in the country for more than 180 days in a calendar year. This has been stated countless times in this forum and simply Googling “residency for tax purposes” would  give you the correct information.  Further, what if I have a house in England, but live full time in Thailand?  According to you, England would consider me to be a resident?  Your prediction regarding property prices in 2025 is worth as much as your false definition of “resident”

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Presnock said:

Well that is incorrect - my taxes for my US Pension based on the 1099R I get that is used for the 1040 goes from 1 Jan to 31 Dec each year.  As for tax resident that might be different as Thailand is any 180 days in country.  Thel US, I am a citizen so I am always a tax resident for the US.  The DTA is a treaty and can just be dropped immediately as countries are required to provide 6 months I believe notice that they will cancel the treaty - or maybe re-write it and also, the other taxation program from everything we hear has just begun the talking stage so those even talking about it might not be in the next government here that could change anytime.  Good luck though on tax situation.

How is it incorrect? You are agreeing with me. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Yea but from what I have heard the required Thai heath insurance was mostly trash..And the 2 farang I knew who tried to use it got a big fat DENIED....So sure the Thai insurance companies were quite pleased with the whole heath insurance Scam....

The insurance you pay $100 a year for is trash. The policies outline specifically what is and is not covered. If you have cancer and want to buy insurance for $100 a year, forget it. 

I have Thai Social Security medical and pay 432 baht a month, it's okay. Are you working? 

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

I think the Thai government must be really desperate for cash to fund their corrupt schemes!
The revenue department even turned up at our door asking why my wife wasn't paying tax and summoned her to their offices to explain.

They were going from door to door as well.

So why wasn't she paying tax, if I might ask?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I was told of this approach by the accounting firm that did my Thai taxes back when I first started working in Thailand over thirty years ago. The RD would select a housing estate and make inquiries at some or all of the residences.

The RD working on a whim and a prayer, then and now.  Some things never change…

1 hour ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Your statement regarding how countries define residency is totally incorrect.  For tax purposes, residency is defined as residing in the country for more than 180 days in a calendar year. This has been stated countless times in this forum and simply Googling “residency for tax purposes” would  give you the correct information.  Further, what if I have a house in England, but live full time in Thailand?  According to you, England would consider me to be a resident?  Your prediction regarding property prices in 2025 is worth as much as your false definition of “resident”

His statement regarding how countries define residency is not too bad.

In Thailand, it's defined as being in Thailand more than 179 (not 180) days in a calendar year.

Many other countries use 183 days.

Many countries use ways similar to what he said,  just ask @statabout Germany,  he has mentioned it many times. 

8 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Srettha is a Real Estate Tycoon he must know this is going to be bad for his bizzz !!

How so?  The ueber-rich will avoid this tax like they do all the others rules made for the little people.  Middle income types will stay if they have established families, or they will leave, with plenty of Chinese willing to purchase their properties. 

He might even be buying up all the cheaper condos to sell to former tax resident ex-pats as  175-day time-shares.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

It's not only countries, I ran into the same issue with the state of Massachusetts (USA) when working remotely as a digital nomad with a home address in Massachusetts.

10 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

How so?  The ueber-rich will avoid this tax like they do all the others rules made for the little people.  Middle income types will stay if they have established families, or they will leave, with plenty of Chinese willing to purchase their properties. 

He might even be buying up all the cheaper condos to sell to former tax resident ex-pats as  175-day time-shares.

Oh yea I think you sussed out Srhetta's plan !

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

His statement regarding how countries define residency is not too bad.

In Thailand, it's defined as being in Thailand more than 179 (not 180) days in a calendar year.

Please read his post.  He defined residency as simply owning property.  I defined residency as being based upon days spent in a country

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

It's not only countries, I ran into the same issue with the state of Massachusetts (USA) when working remotely as a digital nomad with a home address in Massachusetts.

I grew up in a small town in western Mass.  i have read a few of your posts regarding living in Thailand and can commiserate with you.  I am much older than you, so do not want the hassle of doing another (would be #6) international move.  Also, we plan to only spend 6 months a year in Thailand.  As I am sure you are aware, fishing, hiking, camping are either not to be had or not worth bothering to try.  Please do not think that I am meddling in your personal life, but I do not see how you can remain in Thailand and be happy

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Where are those Chinese? I'm looking for them also as due to this situation I've decide to leave too. I can't find to easily sale my condos even 20% less than what I bought them or what they were "booming" last year. As for the few agents I use, no Chinese in the horizon..

Mostly Russians which are still not aware yet of these news I assume 🙂and who awares says "We're moving back to Bali" 🙂🙂🙂

Edited by Tonyfarang

9 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Possible exit?, It's in full blow, mate. Exodus is the best word for what is happening right now.

I haven't seen anything yet that is an exodus but believe expats of many nations are doing that exit now or maybe in the near future as things settle a bit.  Good luck on your travels.