German Tourist's Fatal Fall at Pattaya Hotel Shocks Visitors

webfact

20 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

My English is fine (A level) .

” I did none of how your baseless accusations attempt to paint me” (sic) suggests you're the one struggling with grammar and syntax. To say nothing of your lack of qualification in the comment " suicide is selfish" which clearly suggests you make no exception. 

Don't express opinions on a public forum if you're not prepared to have them challenged. Breathtaking arrogance. 

PS. The English lesson is free , the embarrassment at being hoist with your own petard is something you'll just have to live with,I'm afraid..

While it may not be what you are used to in colloquial English, it is not incorrect. Sure, it could be stated more clearly, but I was under the, perhaps mistaken, assumption that you understood the context well enough to grasp the point.

There was nothing that so "clearly suggests" I make no exceptions, other than your reading between the lines. A lack of qualification does not equate to some sort of fact that no qualifications exist in the writer's mind. It would be arrogant in the reader's part to come to such a conclusion.

And yet another accusation with no basis? This is tedious.... I don't mind my opinions being challenged, whatsoever. You were not doing so. You STILL don't seem to grasp that point. You were making derisive accusations, blatantly made from whole cloth, not challenging an opinion.

Imagine that! A free English lesson? lol If being ridiculously picky, there are no less than 5 grammatical errors in your final sentence alone, let alone the rest of your "A level" English awesomeness!  I'll pass on any further lessons, thanks anyway.

We disagree, apparently, on the idea of suicide being selfish. We also seem to disagree on how generalizations are to be made and understood or not.
Fine.
Have a nice day.

18 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I didn't assume anything from your comment. You wrote "I believe that suicide, whether assisted or not, is one of the most selfish acts a human being can do.", which is what my comment was referring to.

Have a lovely day.

That being the case, I'm sorry that I misunderstood what it appeared to me you were implying. In light of that, there was nothing that you wrote in your comment that I disagreed with at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Sig said:

That being the case, I'm sorry that I misunderstood what it appeared to me you were implying. In light of that, there was nothing that you wrote in your comment that I disagreed with at all.

We're all good)

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 9:25 AM, Pattaya57 said:

So 4 in 5 days (RIP)...that's Thai, Russian, American and German...what nationality is next?

Wish people would reach out to their friends (or Lifeline) before deciding this (assuming these 4 didn't)

Or just move to Hua Hin

Edited by JimTripper

On 6/6/2024 at 7:39 AM, wozzlegummich said:

It is never the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.

Yes. Even high speed motor accidents too has this effect, which I heard a long time ago when an expert made a presentation.

There’s an old joke that “it’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.” In terms of actual physics, that’s the truth: as something falls, it accelerates according to gravity’s pull. The more time spent accelerating, the more potential energy generated in the fall. At the moment of impact, all of the force generated in the fall is exerted by the falling object into the ground, and then that force is reciprocated into the falling object at the point of contact. That reciprocated force is what inflicts serious injury or fatality on a human body.

Understanding the physics of the collision helps us understand why height is a key factor, but it helps us understand two other key factors: the rate of acceleration and the hardness of the ground.

Article

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 10:19 PM, SportRider said:

IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS HOW MANY DEATHS ARE CAUSED SIMPLY BY LOW RAILINGS ON HOTEL BALCONIES.

In developed nations, regulations require railings at a height sufficient to prevent easily toppling over by accident.

Sadly, that is NOT the case here.  This should be part of the Embassy country warnings.

The Hilton's balconies as with most others are still very low, this is an architectural choice, most likely as to not diminish the view from inside,

Pattaya Hilton.jpg

Edited by cobra

1 hour ago, cobra said:

The Hilton's balconies as with most others are still very low, this is an architectural choice, most likely as to not diminish the view from inside,

Pattaya Hilton.jpg

But it wouldn't matter if they were higher in this case.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes and the next building along from where the incident with the German occurred.

I must admit I looked up regularly today when walking to/from Central Mall (with Hilton Hotel and View Talay 6 next door)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:40 PM, In Full Agreement said:

Please don't ever come anywhere near Pattaya.

Yes, join the throng of those who disparage the place without ever visiting!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Sig said:

While it may not be what you are used to in colloquial English, it is not incorrect. Sure, it could be stated more clearly, but I was under the, perhaps mistaken, assumption that you understood the context well enough to grasp the point.

There was nothing that so "clearly suggests" I make no exceptions, other than your reading between the lines. A lack of qualification does not equate to some sort of fact that no qualifications exist in the writer's mind. It would be arrogant in the reader's part to come to such a conclusion.

And yet another accusation with no basis? This is tedious.... I don't mind my opinions being challenged, whatsoever. You were not doing so. You STILL don't seem to grasp that point. You were making derisive accusations, blatantly made from whole cloth, not challenging an opinion.

Imagine that! A free English lesson? lol If being ridiculously picky, there are no less than 5 grammatical errors in your final sentence alone, let alone the rest of your "A level" English awesomeness!  I'll pass on any further lessons, thanks anyway.

We disagree, apparently, on the idea of suicide being selfish. We also seem to disagree on how generalizations are to be made and understood or not.
Fine.
Have a nice day.

It is simply poor English,however you want to dress it up and nothing to do with colloquialism. You’re just deflecting. Furthermore,if you make an absolute statement ,which you repeat, "suicide is selfish " without qualification  you can’t then invoke exceptions when that statement is challenged. Nor berate others for not assuming that in reality you did have exceptions ,but left them unsaid. 
It appears that English lesson you sorely need should be supplemented by one in logic and clarity too.

On 6/6/2024 at 10:22 AM, champers said:

Carls has been closed for over a year. The company decided to exit Thailand. The tent is outside floor 1.

yes, 24/03/22... A sad day for burger lovers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/6/2024 at 10:10 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Also restaurants. 

I think it's Carl's burgers, a while ago I was sat on the balcony eating my burger. 

Carls closed years ago , you still in Covid rules lol, Lockdown is OVER 

On 6/6/2024 at 2:27 AM, Deez said:

The one meter high patio rails are deadly for anyone over 170cm.  How many more "tragic" falls needed before they raise the height on all of them

I am 6 foot 2 inches (187.96 cm), barefoot, up to 6 foot 3.5 inches tall depending on footwear, and I have acrophobia.    I have rarely had any issue with a balcony railing in Thailand and I feel/felt safe from falling when on the balconies.  The only exception I can remember was the railing of a room balcony at a hotel in Chiang Mai.   It was a wooden balcony and when I checked it, it wobbled in and out so much, I thought it could fall off with a strong wind.   

The accessible balconies I have been on in Thailand are all waist high, which is about where 1 meter or higher.   I have been on balconies in the U.S. of A.. that had lower railings, one measured at 30 inches/76.2 cm, which may be below building code requirements.  

The railings of the two balconies at my condo in Bangkok are at the level of my ribs which may be about 4 feet/121.92 cm.   

I have seen much shorter railings in Thailand on the area that the air conditioner is placed, but there were no door access to those areas and the windows either did not open or were restricted to opening to about 6 inches.  

On 6/8/2024 at 5:21 PM, Chongalulu said:

It is simply poor English,however you want to dress it up and nothing to do with colloquialism. You’re just deflecting. Furthermore,if you make an absolute statement ,which you repeat, "suicide is selfish " without qualification  you can’t then invoke exceptions when that statement is challenged. Nor berate others for not assuming that in reality you did have exceptions ,but left them unsaid. 
It appears that English lesson you sorely need should be supplemented by one in logic and clarity too.

Tiresome, indeed.
FYI, I mentioned "colloquial English" and nothing regarding "colloquialism". You appear not to know the difference. No problem. I suppose that perhaps many people don't. But for one who has a self-professed "A level" English...? It makes it easier to understand why you don't seem to be able to grasp what I explain.
You seem to have a foreign understanding of what it means to "berate" someone, as well. You were the one who came at me with unfounded, derogatory accusations. My comments were focused on explaining in order to come to an understanding. But you refuse. No problem. You can stick to your ideological Hobby Horse as much as you like, and continue refusing any attempt at genuine dialog, but rather just run amok accusing nonsense of those you think you understand. It's your freedom. Use it as you like. It doesn't seem to be particularly useful or productive, but that's up to you. Maybe someday that chip on your shoulder will wear down and get a bit smoother.
I'm done.

On 6/6/2024 at 7:52 AM, webfact said:

The incident marks the fourth such tragedy this month. The first occurred on June 1, involving a 23-year-old Thai man. The second, on June 3, was a 38-year-old Russian tourist. The third, on June 4, involved a 43-year-old American tourist.

Are there no commonalities among them?  At what point are these going to be noticed to be a pattern?  555 

On 6/10/2024 at 1:33 PM, Sig said:

Tiresome, indeed.
FYI, I mentioned "colloquial English" and nothing regarding "colloquialism". You appear not to know the difference. No problem. I suppose that perhaps many people don't. But for one who has a self-professed "A level" English...? It makes it easier to understand why you don't seem to be able to grasp what I explain.
You seem to have a foreign understanding of what it means to "berate" someone, as well. You were the one who came at me with unfounded, derogatory accusations. My comments were focused on explaining in order to come to an understanding. But you refuse. No problem. You can stick to your ideological Hobby Horse as much as you like, and continue refusing any attempt at genuine dialog, but rather just run amok accusing nonsense of those you think you understand. It's your freedom. Use it as you like. It doesn't seem to be particularly useful or productive, but that's up to you. Maybe someday that chip on your shoulder will wear down and get a bit smoother.
I'm done.

Done you certainly are . Done for with that incoherent waffle.

• Sad 1