Thai Last Will and Testament Question

LuckyG

Does anyone know, FOR SURE, how to properly "finalize" a DIY Will in Thailand? 

I am told by lawyers that wills are not filed or recorded with Courts in Thailand and I understand that a Will needs only 2 witness signatures, of the Testator's signature to be valid.....

but, for example, If the will is 7 pages and page 7 is for Testator and witness signatures, what could prevent an executor from changing anything in pages 1-6?

What puts the Will "in stone" or keeps it Final, once signed and witnessed? is Notarising the will a proper solution? If so, can this be done after the Witnesses have signed?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, lom said:

The will being inside a sealed envelope, registered and stored at the Tessaban.

Thanks!

So does this mean one registers a sealed envelope or do they review and then it is sealed?

Do you happen to know where the Tessaban for Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai is located?

Provide the district office with the original and keep an exact copy at home. The date should be the same on both.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, LuckyG said:

I am told by lawyers that wills are not filed or recorded with Courts in Thailand and I understand that a Will needs only 2 witness signatures, of the Testator's signature to be valid.....

but, for example, If the will is 7 pages and page 7 is for Testator and witness signatures, what could prevent an executor from changing anything in pages 1-6?

What puts the Will "in stone" or keeps it Final, once signed and witnessed? is Notarising the will a proper solution? If so, can this be done after the Witnesses have signed?  Thanks!

Go to an attorney, because the executor is unlikely to take the will all the way through probate without one. English have an expression, 'penny wise-£foolish.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I would recommend keeping your Will at home along with a list of all your assets that are to be dealt with by the Will upon your death. Let your spouse/partner know where it is.

Keep the Will as simple and straightforward as possible. Just state facts, no embellishments praising the beneficiaries etc. One page is quite normal unless there are many beneficiaries.  If only one beneficiary, no need to list all assets - just a simple statement leaving everything to ...................... If more than one page, the bottom of each page is signed.

When Thai beneficiaries involved, make sure their Thai ID number is shown

Exactly.

This was the advice I received from a close Thai friend (who teaches law at Thammasat University) of my ex gf.

The only difference being, my will stipulates a back-up, or secondary, administrator if my primary administrator predeceases me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

In the situation of a multiple page will, each page should be signed by the testator. The final page has the signatures of witnesses who have seen the testator sign each page.

Any amendments are open to challenge unless initialed by the testator.

The will can be stored anywhere you please but needs to be easy to find when required.

From above:

"

• Platinum Member
  • Advanced Member

In the situation of a multiple page will, each page should be signed by the testator. ... 

Signed and dated.

Is the will only for bequeathing whatever to a Thai/ wife. ?

Anyway if it's in Thailand it will still have to go to the Local City family court for probate, that can take up to 3 months or more.  To the very best of my Knowledge. 

• Sad 1

My Will has my signature and the witness signatures on every page.  You can keep possession of your Will but make sure your Executor knows where it is.  My lawyer also retains a copy.  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 5:36 AM, LuckyG said:

It's well described in the book "Thai Law for Foreigners". You can sign it together with two witnesses at the local Amphor-district office and they can keep it on file for you. However, a last will do not need to be officially filed, just someone can find it, when you are gone.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:50 AM, Delight said:

The only person that counts -in any country- is the administer.

In UK this title is the Executor.

This person you must absolutely  trust.

Also you can have as many 'originals' as you like.

They must all be created at the same time-and be identical.

Typically you will sign or initial each page 

Select your  administer carefully.

When written with the assistance of a lawyer, the signing is done and witnessed on every page.  Pictures are also made at this time and become part of the Will.  The lawyer also keeps one original.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 10:36 AM, LuckyG said:

It's only final until a newer will is made which invalidates the previous will, hence the need for witness to confirm the date and that you are of sound mind 

On 6/7/2024 at 5:47 PM, Purdey said:

Provide the district office with the original and keep an exact copy at home. The date should be the same on both.

That is exactly what I did. Wrote it out in English and had it translated into Thai then off to the Ampuer; done. The people at the Ampuer will type it up onto their data base. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input from all.  Yesterday, I took my will, with witness signatures and copies of signed ID cards to the Amphur office in Chiang Mai. They politely informed me that both Witnesses need to be present, to have a will registered with the Amphur's office...Uhhh!

Would a will be considered invalid if not registered?  and Would this mean all money kept in Thai bank accounts could be kept by the bank if i die? The only reason I care about a Thai will is so the bank cannot keep my money, if i stop a truck.  I would much rather go through this headache of preparing a will that instructs the money goes to a friend verses letting the bank keep it.