Is This the Britain the D-Day Generation Fought to Save?

24 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The Britain they fought for, and which I grew up in during the 1940s and 1950s, has gone, sadly. Change is inevitable, of course. A shame it has not been for the better, to put it mildly.

Well as long as you have a good job and a roof over your head living standards have risen. Before 1948 there was no NHS, people either paid or relied on charities. The national character in the cities has deteriorated of course, violence, drug taking, alcoholism, poor mental health are signs of stress and a lack of purpose. One can kill a nation with hopelessness, in the distant past when I lived there I knew that feeling very well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, soalbundy said:
1 hour ago, VBF said:

You're right, but IMO the Human Rights Laws do go too far in the name of freedom. An example, and there are many others, is the ECHR interfering in UK's right to deport illegal immigrants. That should be a decision for individual sovereign states, NOT an unelected body in Brussels.

I understand that it's the UN charter to which the UK is a signatory which stipulates humanitarian help to refugees, the ECHR is merely upholding international law.

I may have got that wrong (?) but my opinion on who governs remains the same. The UN charter does of course contain many good clauses - this is not one of them (again, IMO)

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Court decisions blocking the costly Rwanda scam are all handed down by UK courts with reference to UK law.

But is that not, in turn, being influenced by the ECHR because of UK's time in the EU?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Those are new laws to stop regular disruptive demonstrators , those who frequently turn protestors into disruption , there are new laws to stop them disrupting protests .

The new laws actually help people to protest peacefully and keep the disruptive people away from disrupting the peaceful protests

New laws to clamp down on disruptive protesters come into force

New public order powers to prevent individuals causing repeated serious disruption come into force today, as the government continues with its plan to protect the public from criminality at protests.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-laws-to-clamp-down-on-disruptive-protesters-come-into-force

No mention of face covering in that new law ! Shame Shame.

methinks

• Agree 1

I dont get what is D day, we had many D days.

D day from French, Spain, Germany (way before ww2), Austria, Italians or integrated in it religion. Just to name some.

We never think about those. And all changes dont realy do any good, still not. It always change to bad again.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Would be a bit confusing for all .

Having laws saying you must wear face masks when out (covid) and another law stating you must not wear face masks when outside 🙂

I was referring to the scarfs covering the face to purposely conceal identities 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1