Chinese woman safely located following a 25-million-baht scam in Bangkok

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Investigations soon revealed there was no kidnapping. Both Lu and her parents had fallen prey to a call scam gang, deceived through a chat application. The police spokesperson confirmed, "We believe the scammers tricked both the victim and her family. There was no real kidnapping involved."

Very strange.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

If she didn't do nothing wrong, why did she believe them or listen to them.

I think you mean didn't do anything wrong. Why did she believe them? It is by no means unusual for gullible people, those with the mind of a child, to believe anything they are told, We quite often read on here of Thais who send money to people after receiving a phone call 'from their bank' or other fake source, asking them to send money to an account, and they meekly oblige. I guess many Asians, not only Thais, are very afraid of officials of all kinds and if they are told to jump, they jump without thinking.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think you mean didn't do anything wrong. Why did she believe them? It is by no means unusual for gullible people, those with the mind of a child, to believe anything they are told, We quite often read on here of Thais who send money to people after receiving a phone call 'from their bank' or other fake source, asking them to send money to an account, and they meekly oblige. I guess many Asians, not only Thais, are very afraid of officials of all kinds and if they are told to jump, they jump without thinking.

and when told to jump, simply ask 'how high'?

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Very strange.

Typical call scam in the US related to federal income taxes. Caller identifies as IRS agent who claims victim owes substantial taxes and must pay immediately or an arrest warrant will be issued with arrest eminent.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 27-year-old Chinese woman, previously feared to be kidnapped for a 25-million-baht ransom, was found safe yesterday in Bangkok. Lu Xinlei was located at the HomePro Bangna shopping mall and taken to Phra Khanong Police Station for a heartwarming reunion with her mother and sister, who had flown in from China.

Lu, working for a property company in Japan, fell victim to a scam gang masquerading as Japanese officials. The scammers falsely accused her of violating an anti-money-laundering law and instructed her to transfer 17 million yen (around US$109,000) for inspection and to stay in either Thailand or Singapore, avoiding contact with her parents.

Arriving in Thailand on May 29, the gang directed Lu to switch SIM cards and change hotels frequently. On May 31, her parents received a chilling call from a man claiming she had been kidnapped, demanding a ransom of 5 million yuan (approximately 25 million baht or US$680,000) for her release. A Chinese-language interpreter helped relay this information to the local police.

Investigations soon revealed there was no kidnapping. Both Lu and her parents had fallen prey to a call scam gang, deceived through a chat application. The police spokesperson confirmed, "We believe the scammers tricked both the victim and her family. There was no real kidnapping involved."

Despite the distressing ordeal, Lu was found unharmed. Authorities assured the public of her safety and declared the investigations into the scammers' identities and locations would continue.

This case underscores the importance of vigilance against such scams, and officials urged everyone to report any suspicious activities without delay. This incident also highlights the need for increased awareness around sophisticated schemes that prey on innocent victims by exploiting their fears and vulnerabilities.

Picture courtesy: MGR online

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-10

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

There's a lot more to this story than what is revealed in this short article, of course. But I have noticed, though, that scammers and other criminals from countries like China and Russia, often prey on their own countrymen. Exploiting their own in-depth knowledge of their victims culture to access as much information as possible about them, down to their personal life and even their psyche. While also exploiting the victims (often) limited knowledge of the world outside their home country, to run, as the article states, 'sophisticated schemes that prey on innocent victims by exploiting their fears and vulnerabilities'

Edited by Excogitator

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

My first thought was the girl was involved in the scam to get money from her parents... Might still turn out to be the case. We'll see.

My thoughts as well.

Especially as she was apparently found wandering around a shopping mall. Not trying to hide in hotel somewhere but just going about her business like normal.

Probably not expecting anyone to recognize her in a foreign country.

Gee, I wonder if this was the plot of a recent movie or soap opera.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/10/2024 at 8:19 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Yeah right! Before I explained everything, my wife tried to tell me I can not say anything to or against the doctor, because they are high and big people. 😂

But know, after over 12 years, she has become very aware of the situations in the country.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 1