Woman found dead in sauna at popular fitness center, body exposed to heat for 4-5 hours

webfact

image.jpeg

Police officers in Nonthaburi Province conducted an urgent investigation after the body of a 68-year-old woman was found in a sauna at a well-known fitness centre within the Jang Wattana shopping complex. The discovery was made at approximately 6:00 p.m., prompting the immediate involvement of rescue workers and medical personnel from the Institute of Forensic Medicine.

The woman, a regular customer at the fitness centre, was found with severe skin damage indicative of prolonged heat exposure. Staff members, who initially attempted resuscitation, unfortunately confirmed her death on-site. Visible signs of heat damage included redness and peeling of the skin on her arms, chest, and face.

According to fitness centre employees, the woman had arrived for her usual morning workout at around 8:00 a.m. However, after 11:00 a.m., staff assumed she had left since they had not seen her for several hours. It wasn't until the early evening that her body was found in the sauna, leading to a frantic but futile attempt to revive her.

Early medical assessments suggest that the woman had been exposed to the high temperatures of the sauna for an estimated 4-5 hours. This prolonged exposure caused critical thermal injuries, ultimately leading to her demise. Police have since collected evidence and informed her family.

The body has been transported for a more detailed examination at the Institute of Forensic Medicine to establish an exact cause of death. This tragic incident raises significant concerns about safety protocols within fitness centres, particularly around the monitoring of facilities like saunas which, if used improperly, can pose serious health risks.

File photo. Source: Wikimedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Well quite, it’s health and safety gone mad !

Just think if they had a standard policy (employed by many venues in more safety conscious jurisdictions) that a member of staff quickly checked the sauna every 30 minutes, then the woman might have survived. Hardly a major hassle for staff to do that is it ?

You are right, it´s not a hassle, but I don´t know. Do they in other countries? I have been taking saunas in Sweden, England, Germany and Spain. Never had anyone come check.

• Agree 2

I don't think you should go to sauna if you are too old. Heart attack comes to mind.

I am often guilty of cranking up the heat and it caused me to be out of breath a few times. Probably easy to faint.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Well quite, it’s health and safety gone mad !

Just think if they had a standard policy (employed by many venues in more safety conscious jurisdictions) that a member of staff quickly checked the sauna every 30 minutes, then the woman might have survived. Hardly a major hassle for staff to do that is it ?

Not a hassle at all. But in Thailand? Would last a week and then be forgotten. Maybe also so in many countries.

cant say that I have ever been in a sauna where it was checked by staff. Guess England, Austria and Finland just aren’t safety conscious jurisdictions, damn them.

RIP poor lady.

One strategically placed CCTV camera could monitor the sauna for both illness and people giving others unwanted attention. Most gyms already do this in other areas.

Have to wait for someone to care for their customers in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Heart failure in the hot sauna, no one around ... tragic things happen.

You may speculate that a Chinese or North Korean sauna is better supervised ...

Edited by xxeo

44 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Saunas actually reduce the incidence of coronary events and strokes. They can also lower blood pressure, reduce stress, and strengthen the immune system. As long as you don't over do it.

"As long as you don't over do it." Being the operative word.

Maybe she just fell asleep, and overexposed herself (No sarcasm needed thank you), but yes, staff should check periodically to make sure that customers are "safe".

I used to really enjoy the sauna to a skin. Doctor told me that it was definitely not healthy and I asked another medical professional and they said the same thing so basically they’re saying you don’t wanna sit in an oven. It’s not good for your skin TIT.

• Confused 1

So in all that time there’s no policy that the staff check to see if it’s clean if the heats on or off, if there’s towels there, any I’ve ever been to in the past they check to switch it off if no ones using, many reasons to check it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What safety protocols do we need extra in Thailand for using a sauna. Silly talking again. This is an accident that could have happened to a person anywhere in the world. They

Actually, it wouldn’t be too complicated to put some kind of monitor, inside the sauna. Or a bracelet that is connected to the reception or administration office. An alarm goes off on the monitoring equipment, if someone has spent more than hour, in the Sauna or Steam Room. Or just get the staff to check the sauna every couple of hours. Surely someone tidies/cleans the sauna, during the day? 

Edited by Charlest1971
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Police officers in Nonthaburi Province conducted an urgent investigation after the body of a 68-year-old woman was found in a sauna at a well-known fitness centre within the Jang Wattana shopping complex. The discovery was made at approximately 6:00 p.m., prompting the immediate involvement of rescue workers and medical personnel from the Institute of Forensic Medicine.

The woman, a regular customer at the fitness centre, was found with severe skin damage indicative of prolonged heat exposure. Staff members, who initially attempted resuscitation, unfortunately confirmed her death on-site. Visible signs of heat damage included redness and peeling of the skin on her arms, chest, and face.

According to fitness centre employees, the woman had arrived for her usual morning workout at around 8:00 a.m. However, after 11:00 a.m., staff assumed she had left since they had not seen her for several hours. It wasn't until the early evening that her body was found in the sauna, leading to a frantic but futile attempt to revive her.

Early medical assessments suggest that the woman had been exposed to the high temperatures of the sauna for an estimated 4-5 hours. This prolonged exposure caused critical thermal injuries, ultimately leading to her demise. Police have since collected evidence and informed her family.

The body has been transported for a more detailed examination at the Institute of Forensic Medicine to establish an exact cause of death. This tragic incident raises significant concerns about safety protocols within fitness centres, particularly around the monitoring of facilities like saunas which, if used improperly, can pose serious health risks.

File photo. Source: Wikimedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

This tragic incident raises significant concerns about safety protocols within fitness centres, particularly around the monitoring of facilities like saunas which, if used improperly, can pose serious health risks.

What a crock.. they assume a great deal. The woman was 68. She could have had a heart attack while in there and she would still have the burns from long time exposure. Sso this tragic incident shows nothing. I wish they would read thekr stories before that slap the B.S showing stuff like this at the end of a story. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charlest1971 said:

Actually, it wouldn’t be too complicated to put some kind of monitor, inside the sauna. Or a bracelet that is connected to the reception or administration office. An alarm goes off on the monitoring equipment, if someone has spent more than hour, in the Sauna or Steam Room. Or just get the staff to check the sauna every couple of hours. Surely someone tidies/cleans the sauna, during the day? 

Sure, it wouldn´t but I have still not seen it anywhere.

9 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

The woman was 68. She could have had a heart attack while in there and she would still have the burns from long time exposure.

The point is, if they had checked, she could have received the medical attention she needed to survive.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, khunpin said:

Obviously not popular enough to find her earlier ... 🤦🏼‍♂️

Question:  Does this gym have people who work there and check the facilities or are they busy playing on their phones?  I'm guessing the latter. SMMFH.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

I don't think you should go to sauna if you are too old. Heart attack comes to mind.

I am often guilty of cranking up the heat and it caused me to be out of breath a few times. Probably easy to faint.

When I used to use a steam room, the idea for me was to stay in there as long as possible, which meant until I felt dizzy.  Definitely should be someone checking them regularly.  I think the steam room had an emergency cord.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

You are right, it´s not a hassle, but I don´t know. Do they in other countries? I have been taking saunas in Sweden, England, Germany and Spain. Never had anyone come check.

It's common in Canada. I've witnessed the staff at my Rec Centre save someone life who overheated and passed out.

• Like 1