Can I switch back from Extension based on Retirement to Marriage ?

I was for many years on a extension of stay based on Marriage, and then I switched to extension based on Retirement. (Both extensions done with Money in the BANK)

Now if possible I want to switch back to the Marriage Extension. Is that possible at Immigration or should I leave Thailand (without a Re-Entry Permit) get a Single NON-O (basis of Marriage) and start again?

TiA

Edited by MJCM
Spelling

Thx Guys, appreciated.

@DrJack54

I will leave the 800k in the account until I get my year stamp which will be after the Under Consideration Period.

Thx for the tip.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

A few years ago I made friends with a Immigration Officer and he advised me of 2 reasons to stay on a RETIREMENT extension and NEVER  get a marriage extension.

1) LESS PAPERWORK

2) If bad luck with marriage, she receives a divorce, your marriage extension goes invalid, a retirement extension stays valid with a divorce.

You forgot the 30 day Under Consideration period

I tend to agree but in my case

Your

#1. - I have all the required Docs scanned in my PC and it's just a matter of changing the date and press print.

#2.- Don't plan to get a divorce 😉 (but you have a valid point in that)

The only reason why I switched from Marriage to Retirement was that I loath the 30 day Under Consideration Period. The reason why I am going back is that we are planning from 2025 (or 2026) to spend 6+ months in Europe and the rest (max 180 days) in Thailand and thus the 500k THB (I keep approx 900K THB in the Account for Immigration) less money in the account will come in handy in the startup of us in Europe.

If Savannakhet still was easy in getting a Multiple NON-O (but apparently their appointment system is POT luck as you only can book an appointment 2 weeks in advance) then I would go for that

The appointment can be scheduled up to 14 days in advance.

https://thaivisasvk.com/vabo/

Edited by MJCM
Spelling

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

If Savannakhet still was easy in getting a Multiple NON-O (but apparently their appoint system is POT luck as you only can book an appointment 2 weeks in advance) then I would go for that

You could consider a single entry non O eVisa obtained in home country + 60 day extension to visit wife = 5 months. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You could consider a single entry non O eVisa obtained in home country + 60 day extension to visit wife = 5 months. 

Good idea, but I wonder if they will issue them as I am not a "registered" citizen there any more.

Thx again for the tip 👍

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Good idea, but I wonder if they will issue them as I am not a "registered" citizen there any more

Not sure what a registered citizen is.

You have a passport for a certain country you can obtain a visa for Thailand 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

I was for many years on a extension of stay based on Marriage, and then I switched to extension based on Retirement. (Both extensions done with Money in the BANK)

Now if possible I want to switch back to the Marriage Extension. Is that possible at Immigration or should I leave Thailand (without a Re-Entry Permit) get a Single NON-O (basis of Marriage) and start again?

TiA

I switched from my O-A retirement to an O for marriage, one year ago in Chiang Mai just previous to our taking a trip to the USA for the month of April 2023.

7 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I switched from my O-A retirement to an O for marriage

How....think you mean you switched extension based on retirement to based on marriage.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, edwardflory said:

A few years ago I made friends with a Immigration Officer and he advised me of 2 reasons to stay on a RETIREMENT extension and NEVER  get a marriage extension.

1) LESS PAPERWORK

2) If bad luck with marriage, she receives a divorce, your marriage extension goes invalid, a retirement extension stays valid with a divorce.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And meet financial requirements far higher hurdle than marriage extension alternative.

Immigration officers prefer "based on retirement" as it's less work for them

The IO stated that because it's less work for them.  If you're married there is no reason to tie up unnecessary funds in the bank as long as you're married.
If your marriage folds, then you reassess.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

The only reason why I switched from Marriage to Retirement was that I loath the 30 day Under Consideration Period.

I loath keeping more money in a Thai bank then needs to be kept in a Thai bank.  The Under Consideration?  Pftt.  Go back after 30 days and get your visa stamp.  About the only time it "may" be an issue is the first time you apply for the extension. 

13 minutes ago, connda said:

About the only time it "may" be an issue is the first time you apply for the extension. 

A friend has had to visit the IO 2 times during his under consideration period because of extra documents they requested

One time when he was on Holiday in Koh Samui, thus he had to abandon his Holiday.

3 hours ago, edwardflory said:

1) LESS PAPERWORK

Every year they tell me the same story retirement less paperwork, well it is, for them as well, that's why they 'Advise' you. I simply tell them "well it's YOU that make all the extra paperwork not me" And as I am self funded for medical I also ask, if they will pay if I get very sick. this year they pulled my missus over to one side Highlighted the 800 K and told her not me, to get the retirement, they really really do Hate the extra work they need to do.

They are so low they are using scare tactics "IF you get a divorce"  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

The only reason why I switched from Marriage to Retirement was that I loath the 30 day Under Consideration Period.

Well I don't know what I O you use but, I thought some I O still had a 30 day under Consideration period even for retirement. 

3 hours ago, edwardflory said:

1) LESS PAPERWORK

An IO tried that on me when I applied for a marriage extension also. I fired back that on a marriage extension I could also get a job in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Good idea, but I wonder if they will issue them as I am not a "registered" citizen there any more.

Thx again for the tip 👍

For the confused person out there

This comes from the Embassy Website

Proof of residency may be required

Proof consists for example out of : Utility Bill in your Name etc, and all of these I can't show as I don't have a house there anymore. The only thing is I have a passport from that country and that is it. Ps: Last time I was there was 10+ years ago

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well I don't know what I O you use but, I thought some I O still had a 30 day under Consideration period even for retirement. 

Our IO

- Marriage under Consideration minimum of 30 days (longest I had to wait was 45 days)

- Retirement same day (last extension took around 40 mins)

• Thanks 1

well, marriage visa, you can actually use your 400k

if you have them off course

retirement, more cost than supporting a family and kids, weird...

and you cannot go under 400k ever ...   not even for hospital emergencies

thai logic

Got a Non O Retirement in 2004.....but changed to a marriage extension in 2016. A high ranking officer at Chiangmai Imm told me then  that if I  decided to go back  to Retirement,for whatever reason  that would be final  No future change to Marriage would be allowed.