Singapore Airlines Compensates Passengers After Turbulence Tragedy

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This rapid change in gravitational force contributed to the severity of the injuries. The Transport Safety Investigation Bureau, alongside experts from the US National Transportation Safety Board, FAA, and Boeing, is investigating the cause.

According to the Montreal Convention, airlines are obligated to compensate for damage related to passenger injury or death. The maximum liability for each passenger, in this case, could surpass the convention’s limit of US$170,000, depending on the investigation's findings.

I wonder if they're asking for a liability release before the investigations are completed.  $10K and a refund is chump change.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Its all bandwidth banter to me, I wear my seatbelt at all times in a plane (except whilst hitting the head).

Wearing your seatbelt is supposed to prevent you from hitting your head (on the ceiling) 555.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder if they're asking for a liability release before the investigations are completed.  $10K and a refund is chump change.

Standard policy whenever compensation is offered.  Release of Liability and NDA(Non Disclosure Agreement).  Any lawyer will say do not accept any first offer.  It is not matter of greed but protecting oneself from future medical expenses.  One might be fine now but in some cases the effects of injury that is not diagnosed in the present could be expensive in the future.  

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If passengers bring on hand carry that exceeds the weight limit and that injures someone else, IMO they should be prosecuted.

IMO that is on the airline for not policing weight limits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Still too much for the chumps who were seated w/out belts.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, 5davidhen1 said:

Wearing your seatbelt is supposed to prevent you from hitting your head (on the ceiling) 555.

Well yes, that's why most of them were OK. 555 555

1 hour ago, Yagoda said:

Its all bandwidth banter to me, I wear my seatbelt at all times in a plane (except whilst hitting the head).

The head or your head. Heads are on ships and boats, planes have lavatories.

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

So you suggest seats have a beeper to alert the cabin crew every time someone releases their belt. What next, maybe  air bags fitted to the back of seats, as cars and planes are so similar.

I don't know that the idea is that far out.  There have been several times that I thought I was strapped in, but the buckle didn't catch.  Having a little flashing light overhead warning me would have been helpful.  Also in cases where the seatbelt sign goes on...  People just aren't thinking, and a little warning light above their seat would remind them.

It would also reduce workload for the flight attendants who have to check everyone's crotch area before landing to make sure we're all strapped in.  They've gotta love that part...

Expensive?  I'm sure it is.  But worth evaluating.

Just now, NoDisplayName said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

This rapid change in gravitational force contributed to the severity of the injuries.

Hub of alternate physical realities.

That was my first thought when I read that.  But changes in G forces did cause stuff to go flying around the cabin, even if gravity itself remained constant. 

It's a frame of reference thing...

2 hours ago, stoner said:

as for staff they should have insurance provided by the airline to cover the risk and injury they might incur at work.  

Staff know the risks and accept them by working. It's the same as soldiers or police. That doesn't apply to passengers. If wearing a seat belt in a car can be mandatory, it can be for air travel.

It doesn't require staff to be police though- it can just be a rule that if injured by turbulence because of not wearing a seat belt, no compensation will be paid.

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The airlines are realistic and know making seat belts mandatory is not practical.

So are you also saying the cabin crew, should be strapped in all the time also? Or you think their safety is not to be considered or a cabin crew member thrown in the sir will not injury anyone else? If crews are to be strapped in at all times, then no food or drinks!

These types of events are rare, as on an average day there are over 98000 commercial flights. You have not considered deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or first and business class flights with access to onboard bars.

Pilots base their judgement, if turbulence is expected, on instrumentation and weather radar, pre flight weather reports and forecast and additional information on unexpected turbulence, often passed between pilots and ATC (Air Traffic Control).

IATA (The International Air Transport Association) have developed a new data exchange platform called ‘Turbulence Aware’ which is designed to provide airlines with better information for flights. 

https://www.iata.org/en/services/statistics/safety-data/turbulence-platform/

So no I have not missed the point, I have considered the details and not just a simplistic solution, which the airlines themself have dismissed.

You are gaslighting....    everyone knows keeping your seatbelt fastened while seated and at all times its practical to do do so, i.e. when not doing to the toilet etc...   is sensible. 

If people want to ignore recommendations and use the bar in business class etc...  thats their risk. 

Should they be 'compensated' for having a drink in business class when the risk of entering 'clear air turbulence' is something we are all aware of ? (most of us).

DVT can be mitigated with flight socks, inflight leg exercises and pre-flight medication (i.e. Heparin - for those in high risk groups)...

Pilots cannot 'base use any of their judgement' for CAT - its something that is unforeseeable and unexpected, it doesnt come up on a radar...

It seems you are blaming the airline for the passengers not fastening their seatbelt - this is 'almost' in alignment for blaming the taxi company for your injuries in an accident when you are not wearing your seatbelt and another car hit the taxi you are travelling in.

31 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't know that the idea is that far out.  There have been several times that I thought I was strapped in, but the buckle didn't catch.  Having a little flashing light overhead warning me would have been helpful.  Also in cases where the seatbelt sign goes on...  People just aren't thinking, and a little warning light above their seat would remind them.

It would also reduce workload for the flight attendants who have to check everyone's crotch area before landing to make sure we're all strapped in.  They've gotta love that part...

Expensive?  I'm sure it is.  But worth evaluating.

If people can't fasten a buckle it's not the airline's problem, and neither is people "not thinking".

Seems the nanny state has been sapping people's initiative for too long, and it's always someone else's responsibility.

Your light thing isn't going to work as there is always some Joe Moron that will work out a way to make the light work without being buckled in.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This rapid change in gravitational force contributed to the severity of the injuries. The Transport Safety Investigation Bureau, alongside experts from the US National Transportation Safety Board, FAA, and Boeing, is investigating the cause.

Must be a first in aviation history, it was a "rapid change in gravitational force". Guys, the Bermuda triangle has gone Walkabout.