Thai commando takes taxi driver for a ride after fare fraud fiasco

snoop1130

The 300 baht tourist tax was probably scrapped because they found out, that the average tourists are already being scammed out of much more than 300 baht, every time they visit the country.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

The Taxi scenario is country wide, Thai society is riddled with corruption thats why it will always be a third world country! These practices are a negative aspect on Thailand as a whole and will always be their achillies heel!!

The authorities need to get back to changing the basic structure of their society so corruption is gradually eliminated. Take a look at Singapore from 1960 to the year 2000, they went from rags to riches because they had a leader with foresight and he addressed issues from the bottom up but also led by example!

28 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

The Taxi scenario is country wide, Thai society is riddled with corruption thats why it will always be a third world country! These practices are a negative aspect on Thailand as a whole and will always be their achillies heel!!

The authorities need to get back to changing the basic structure of their society so corruption is gradually eliminated. Take a look at Singapore from 1960 to the year 2000, they went from rags to riches because they had a leader with foresight and he addressed issues from the bottom up but also led by example!

It's in Australia too... particularly Sydney not just Thailand 

6 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Yes, it’s quite likely a modification on many taxis if it’s an easy fit which I’d say is quite likely. I doubt he’s the only one using it. 
Well done the policeman. 

As most metered taxis are owned by legitimate co-operatives, not individuals, it's more likely that most meters would not be modified

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I was in Shanghai last week, and all taxi drivers have to have a camera installed in them. That way if a tourist has issues, reports a meter not being turned on, or driver refusing a fare - they have all the evidence there. If they turn the camera off or it is not on, they get in bigger trouble. 

That would be an easy solution.

Many taxis in Bangkok are fitted with in-taxi cameras (and alarm buttons) nowadays and all new taxis are.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rumeaug said:

The meter issue is frequent. Now, i do think the size and type of car you take has some incidence on the final price though (the article says it does not but i doubt so)

Metered taxis on the streets are metered, regardless of whether it's a Corolla or a Fortuner, there are no different meter rates.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The driver eventually confessed to using a modified system to control the meter.

I wonder how many other scumbags are out there doing this to people, especially in tourist places.

The above said, I haven't caught a taxi here in a decade, I always book a private car for a fixed price, to hell with them, let them eat with the stray dogs and cats for all I care.

6 hours ago, ronster said:

Why are the taxis not randomly pulled over for checks to the meter by the transport department or police and make the fine 10,000 bht or more plus points on licence and car impounded for a month if caught using a dodgy meter.

what??? and kill a source of revenue for the regular RTP who most likely pay a visit to the local Taxi yard on a weekly basis...nudge nudge wink wink

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Blueman1 said:

London cabbies have been known to drive around for a while bumping up the fare before dropping first time visitors to their hotels. Do YOU Have ANY Proof of That ?? That is DEFORMATION.....

😂De information....

Last week I caught a cab from the Suk Road tourist area to Suv airport. I happily accepted the driver’s offer of 500 baht, knowing it was around 150 more than a metered trip, and gave him a 100 baht tip in addition. WAY cheaper than a legally metered taxi in Australia, and I received a 1 hour free Thai lesson as a bonus (taxi drivers hoping for a tip are always very complimentary of my rudimentary Thai skills). Bangkok taxis and hotels are one of the world’s great travel bargains.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Last week I caught a cab from the Suk Road tourist area to Suv airport. I happily accepted the driver’s offer of 500 baht, knowing it was around 150 more than a metered trip, and gave him a 100 baht tip in addition. WAY cheaper than a legally metered taxi in Australia, and I received a 1 hour free Thai lesson as a bonus (taxi drivers hoping for a tip are always very complimentary of my rudimentary Thai skills). Bangkok taxis and hotels are one of the world’s great travel bargains.

So that makes it ok???

Because in Australia I would pay more ? 😲

So why are comparing it to taxis in Australia anyway?

If you want to compare prices in Australia a Uber would of been cheaper in Australia than that Bangkok taxi actually !

So as you want to compare prices in Australia you paid around $25 Australian for that Bangkok taxi..for that distance 

You got more $$$ than sense , 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Agree 1

Take Bolt, Grab or anything else - I had it with the local taxi mafia with over-oiled meters, refusal to use the meter etc. 

Would the government take its fingers out of it and allow 10 - 15 taxi companies to cover the market, all this would be obsolete. Just ensure the cabbie has a license (to drive and to know basics about the city) and the car passes inspections on a 6-months basis. 

All the rest will be sorted by the market, i.e. without governmental interference on all levels with licensing companies etc. 

34 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

If you want to compare prices in Australia a Uber would of been cheaper in Australia than that Bangkok taxi actually !

So as you want to compare prices in Australia you paid around $25 Australian for that Bangkok taxi..for that distance 

I’ve never used Uber, beyond my technical ability, but Uber would have been less than $A25 for same distance in Australia?? For that distance, and with that amount of traffic, from my experience I’d estimate that an ordinary taxi in Australia would have been around $100. I’ve paid $60 in Australia for a taxi for a distance I could have easily walked without luggage, and I’d never consider walking to Suv airport from Phrom Pong! I’m in Europe now, and am doing my very best to avoid taxis unless absolutely necessary, whereas in Thailand they’re a practical and cheap form of transport.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronster said:

Why are the taxis not randomly pulled over for checks to the meter by the transport department or police and make the fine 10,000 bht or more plus points on licence and car impounded for a month if caught using a dodgy meter.

Answer: because that takes effort... real police work... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The other day took a taxi in bkk knew the price a fair price for all.He said way too much and i walked.Found one that would use a meter  and was fair and he got a tip.The one who tried to overcharge he drove off,I was happy driver fair all good in the end

Edited by bristolgeoff

Not only for the driver . Police should also fine the enabler. The enabler is usually some doggy mechanic workshop that taxis go to for services. Police should equate the crime like the fence who buy stolen goods. 

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many taxis in Bangkok are fitted with in-taxi cameras (and alarm buttons) nowadays and all new taxis are.

Shanghai taxis also have gps installed so the company has knowledge of your car location at any time. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Bangkok taxi fare is much cheaper than in other countries and competition is stiff with low entry bar. If fare rates are higher and taxi license revoked if caught scamming, you get a more well behaved crowd. 

10 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

So to clarify you paid 50% above the normal fare - and your point is ?

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Take Bolt, Grab or anything else - I had it with the local taxi mafia with over-oiled meters, refusal to use the meter etc. 

Would the government take its fingers out of it and allow 10 - 15 taxi companies to cover the market, all this would be obsolete. Just ensure the cabbie has a license (to drive and to know basics about the city) and the car passes inspections on a 6-months basis. 

All the rest will be sorted by the market, i.e. without governmental interference on all levels with licensing companies etc. 

Grab can be more expensive than the quoted fare by the 'non meter taxi guy'. 😀

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

So to clarify you paid 50% above the normal fare - and your point is ?

My point is that 50% above the normal fare was still crazily cheap by the standards of most other countries. I also always give baht bus drivers in Pattaya 20 baht instead of 10. They work so hard and earn so little. Thailand is a great bargain, travelling in Europe right now, and paying a couple of hundred dollars a night for hotels that would be more like 40 a night in central Bangkok.

On 6/12/2024 at 5:58 PM, snoop1130 said:

A Thai commando police officer

Please come to Sukhumvit and drag all those taxi-no-meter to the police. The ordinary police just don't do their job. 

Imagine if it tourist attempted to do the same thing??? Tourist would be beaten up, thrown out, arrested,a big fine and possibly deported.

Congratulations to the RTP Commando, and excellent result.