A Question About LINE

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Your number may be a recycled number that was owned by a tour guide and restaurateur in years gone by.  I would think a potential scam is more likely though.

I've had the number for at least 10 years, so I'll go with the beginning of a scam.

4 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

TiT - everything has a price, so an enterprising individual looking to hook the unsuspecting into some fiendish scam will buy a list of numbers.

With regards to LINE - is your account set to allow others to find it by number?

LOL - REALLY, you think this happens ONLY in Thailand? REALLY? I cant believe it!

Last April I visited AU and bought a Vodaphone SIM. Couple of minutes after activation, a spam call came. Almost daily, SPAM sms's were received.

TiT - everything has a price >>> on this planet TiT - everything has a price !

47 minutes ago, ravip said:

LOL - REALLY, you think this happens ONLY in Thailand? REALLY? I cant believe it!

Last April I visited AU and bought a Vodaphone SIM. Couple of minutes after activation, a spam call came. Almost daily, SPAM sms's were received.

TiT - everything has a price >>> on this planet TiT - everything has a price !

Can you show us where anyone said this only happens in Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

TiT - everything has a price, so an enterprising individual looking to hook the unsuspecting into some fiendish scam will buy a list of numbers.

TiT - what does this imply? A decoration?

Sorry, my bad.

There are some privacy and security settings on LINE.  You should review them.

I remember there used to be a setting that would enable/disable the ability of others to find you using a phone number.  But now, I can't find that setting.  I recommend having that setting disabled.... if you can find it.

27 minutes ago, ravip said:
9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

TiT - what does this imply? A decoration?

Sorry, my bad.

I don't think you understand. TIT means This Is Thailand. It doesn't mean Only In Thailand. The comment referred to Thailand as this is a forum about Thailand.

13 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

There are some privacy and security settings on LINE.  You should review them.

I remember there used to be a setting that would enable/disable the ability of others to find you using a phone number.  But now, I can't find that setting.  I recommend having that setting disabled.... if you can find it.

It's there. But, as I wrote, only a couple of people have my phone number. If they don't have my number they can't find me with it. In theory. But, as others have said, it might be bots trying thousands of numbers as in any advertising or scam attempts.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's there. But, as I wrote, only a couple of people have my phone number. If they don't have my number they can't find me with it. In theory. But, as others have said, it might be bots trying thousands of numbers as in any advertising or scam attempts.

I'm not sure the following scenarios is possible....

The scammers may just enter random phone numbers or phone numbers found in some corporate data breach, then when they identify the user of that number they can see the user's name or profile and tailor their initial message accordingly (ie. English/Thai/other)

You can also disable messages from LINE accounts that are not in your friend list.

Edited by gamb00ler

Go to "HOME", then SETTINGS icon top right, then PRIVACY.

Untick "Allow others to add me by ID"  On-Tick "FILTER MESSAGES"

Also, review options of "EXTERNAL AP ACCESS"

This will probably not stop random BOTS from finding the OP but it should cut down on unwanted contacts.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

There are places online, where you can buy information in form of lists from hacked accounts.

As simple as that.

As I said, only two friends and my wife have my number. I can only assume that AIS sell their customer info.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As I said, only two friends and my wife have my number. I can only assume that AIS sell their customer info.

Yeah, and as I said, there are people hacking places for information an selling lists of stuff online. For example, the information in a Line account, will include your phone number as it´s connected to that. More you have other chat applications which do the same, that also can be hacked.

As another question. Have you ever used your phone number online when register for something, buying something or verifying an account? I think you have at some occasions as most of us do. That means more are aware of your phone number.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Digging deep, I found this which I've disabled. Also receiving invites to groups is now disabled.

Screenshot 2024-06-14 091645.png

That, I took for granted, that you had checked already.

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As far as I know there is no way to trace the phone number of someone contacting you on the LINE app.

Keep believing that if you want. You would be surprised if you knew just how easy it is to hack a phone and get all the information from it.

7 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

No idea who she is, but she wanted to buy some flowers from my flower shop, which I don't have. Pity. Screenshot_20240615_234901_LINE.thumb.jpg.6865fb0bdc783ee790b7c26919057030.jpg

Yep, that's the kind of thing. I'm guessing it's the first step of a potential scam. As you say, a pity 😃