Wise.com difficulties. Need new Foregn Exchange agency.

I have been using wise.com for 4 years without difficulty. Recently, I started using a different laptop and the system detected that and claimed to send a conformation EMail for me to verify myself. That EMail has not arrived. I have tried several times to log in over the past week without success.The EMails never arrive nor are they in the Junk mail. I have spoken to their help line, who promissed to send me an EMail to help me reset everything. That has never arrived.

Therefore, I request all members to recommend another, equally reliable and economic agency to use to send my pensions from UK to Thailand as promptly as wise.com. I intend this to be a temporary fix until wise.com can reset me.

Wise identified my laptop as "suspicious" even though it's the same one I always use. They also misidentified the operating system as Windows 10. I did get the email they sent to verify the account. Then I found my bank's connection to Plaid had been cut. I managed to reconnect but the process was  a hassle. The transfer did come through in seconds however.

Some years ago I found  that there had been foreign transactions on my account.

They advised me to cancel my account and to create a new account with a different email address, same things happened again, repeated the new account process and all has been OK since

19 hours ago, Maybole said:

I started using a different laptop and the system detected that and claimed to send a conformation EMail for me to verify myself.

Bit strange, I use different devices all the time and they ask if I want to verify by either, phone call, SMS or email.

I always choose SMS and it is never been a problem.

Are you saying the phone options would be a problem?

I am assuming you don't have the app on your phone, so you could try installing that and see where it takes you. You would probably need VPN on your phone to access the app on the relevant app store.

34 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You would probably need VPN on your phone to access the app on the relevant app store.

For WISE? No. And don't access with a VPN!

I had two problems in recent time with logging on.

The first one was due to the fact that I forgot to switch OFF the US VPN on the mobile.

So it was "suspicious" after years of logging on with Thai IP.

The second one was at my usual unsociable hour of about 5:30 AM.

This was indeed a problem at WISE as they showed on their status site.

https://status.wise.com/

(see June 12 and planned maintenance for tomorrow)

Apart from that I cross my fingers. No unusual problems.

Fee rise is always unwelcome but still moderate.

3 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Then I found my bank's connection to Plaid had been cut.

I don't know what that is but seems unrelated to WISE?

And you don't consider you have a problem with the laptop and/or network connection?

Edited by KhunBENQ

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Bit strange, I use different devices all the time and they ask if I want to verify by either, phone call, SMS or email.

I always choose SMS and it is never been a problem.

Are you saying the phone options would be a problem?

I am assuming you don't have the app on your phone, so you could try installing that and see where it takes you. You would probably need VPN on your phone to access the app on the relevant app store.

That's not how it's done. You need to change country/region settings in order to gain access to application not available to certain countries.

4 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Wise identified my laptop as "suspicious" even though it's the same one I always use. They also misidentified the operating system as Windows 10. I did get the email they sent to verify the account. Then I found my bank's connection to Plaid had been cut. I managed to reconnect but the process was  a hassle. The transfer did come through in seconds however.

I always use the same PC to log into WISE and have had this notice (suspicious) several times, same with google but it was easily solved.

39 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What are you trying to say?

I was only referring to accessing the app store, as Thailand is not a Wise country I would doubt the app shows up in the store,  but I never tried and only made a suggestion.

I know for a fact that you do not need a VPN to use the app.

I use Revolut and have done for a few years now. I am allowed £1000.00 per month before transfer charges apply, which includes ATM withdrawals. Not a lot, but my circumstances mean I don't need more. I usually transfer the money from my UK bank to Revolut, no charge. I then transfer that to the Revolut Thai BHT A/C via the App, no charge, and then transfer the amount to my K bank A/C. The total cost is about 44/49 BHT. I also keep a reasonable amount on the card to pay for various things when out and about. As I am paying in Baht there are no other charges. The card has been refused on a couple of occasions, but then I have the K bank card. Cheep as chips as the saying goes.

40 minutes ago, NowNow said:

That's not how it's done. You need to change country/region settings in order to gain access to application not available to certain countries.

Didn't you notice I said "probably",  only made a suggestion, I installed the app when I was in the UK.

I used the VPN to open the account from here in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What are you trying to say?

That the Android App shows up in the PlayStore without a problem.

No VPN necessary.

And that I advise against using a VPN when using WISE should also be clear?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Didn't you notice I said "probably",  only made a suggestion, I installed the app when I was in the UK.

I used the VPN to open the account from here in Thailand.

Yes, I did notice. That's why I posted the correction. In so no one would waste their time trying to do that.

6 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I use Revolut and have done for a few years now. I am allowed £1000.00 per month before transfer charges apply, which includes ATM withdrawals. Not a lot, but my circumstances mean I don't need more. I usually transfer the money from my UK bank to Revolut, no charge. I then transfer that to the Revolut Thai BHT A/C via the App, no charge, and then transfer the amount to my K bank A/C. The total cost is about 44/49 BHT. I also keep a reasonable amount on the card to pay for various things when out and about. As I am paying in Baht there are no other charges. The card has been refused on a couple of occasions, but then I have the K bank card. Cheep as chips as the saying goes.

If there is no charge, then from whence the 44/49 baht cost? How do you calculate that?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That the Android App shows up in the PlayStore without a problem.

No VPN necessary.

And that I advise against using a VPN when using WISE should also be clear?

If app shows up - no problem.

A few years now since I opened my account but seem to remember it couldn't be done without the VPN. Certainly not required once up and running.

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Yes, I did notice. That's why I posted the correction. In so no one would waste their time trying to do that.

Your response was rather abrupt and would hope you are talking through experience with that particular app.

I have used the vpn in the past to get UK apps that didn't show up on the store. As the old saying goes, there can be more than one way to skin a cat.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Your response was rather abrupt and would hope you are talking through experience with that particular app.

Using WISE since six years (January 2018). Can't tell exactly when I switched to app preferred (after website).

EUR from WISE account (Belgian IBAN) to Bangkok Bank.

Never "instant"/"in seconds" because I select purpose long term stay in Thailand.

Money usually arrives next day as international transfer (FTT).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Wow, we have a new font of all knowledge on the site. What did we ever do without you?

• Confused 1

Just now, sandyf said:

I have used the vpn in the past to get UK apps that didn't show up on the store. As the old saying goes, there can be more than one way to skin a cat.

Only abrupt in your mind. 

If I had written "I say old chap, I've had experience with this blah blah blah..." you may have found offence elsewhere.

How you perceive my post is down to you.

In the event, I was referring to my experience with iPhones. I don't have experience with Android. 

It appears that for Android it appears that the process can involve creating a new Google account and then using a VPN with that. 

I think the reason for creating a new account is that Google only allows you to change the country once per annum.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I had two problems in recent time with logging on.

The first one was due to the fact that I forgot to switch OFF the US VPN on the mobile.

So it was "suspicious" after years of logging on with Thai IP.

The second one was at my usual unsociable hour of about 5:30 AM.

This was indeed a problem at WISE as they showed on their status site.

https://status.wise.com/

(see June 12 and planned maintenance for tomorrow)

Apart from that I cross my fingers. No unusual problems.

Fee rise is always unwelcome but still moderate.

I don't know what that is but seems unrelated to WISE?

And you don't consider you have a problem with the laptop and/or network connection?

Plaid connects Wise to your bank account via the ACH network. I don't know if it was the bank or Wise that disconnected it but there weren't any network problems. I was able to reconnect fairly quickly but it was still disconcerting because I'm paranoid about phishing attempts and fake websites and you have to put in your bank's password and user name. Then when I went to the bank's website I got an error while logging in.  But everything seems to have worked out okay.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NowNow said:

If there is no charge, then from whence the 44/49 baht cost? How do you calculate that?

Is it so difficult for you to work out? The charge is for the transfer from the Thai Revolut to the K Bank. Have you got that now, wasn't too difficult was it?

On 6/14/2024 at 8:54 AM, Maybole said:

I have been using wise.com for 4 years without difficulty. Recently, I started using a different laptop and the system detected that and claimed to send a conformation EMail for me to verify myself. That EMail has not arrived. I have tried several times to log in over the past week without success.The EMails never arrive nor are they in the Junk mail. I have spoken to their help line, who promissed to send me an EMail to help me reset everything. That has never arrived.

Therefore, I request all members to recommend another, equally reliable and economic agency to use to send my pensions from UK to Thailand as promptly as wise.com. I intend this to be a temporary fix until wise.com can reset me.

Why don't you use a phone application ? I receive a notification in Wise application when I log in to my PC

• Agree 1