Airplane Makes Emergency Landing At U Tapao Airport After Landing Gear Problem

webfact

Strange story.  

Fly Dubai don't appear to fly from Dubai to Philipines 

The capacity of this VIP version of the jet according to the owners website is 19 but the article states there were more than 100 on board.

It seems as though either the picture of the jet involved is wrong or the article contains some misinformation.  If the flight was operated by Fly Dubai then they do have services from UTP so I guess it would make sense to land there.   Story seems to have some holes in it though

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sampson said:

Strange story.  

Fly Dubai don't appear to fly from Dubai to Philippines 

The capacity of this VIP version of the jet according to the owners website is 19 but the article states there were more than 100 on board.

It seems as though either the picture of the jet involved is wrong or the article contains some misinformation. If the flight was operated by Fly Dubai then they do have services from UTP so I guess it would make sense to land there. Story seems to have some holes in it though

The details in the OP comes from Thai PBS news site.

That story was based on live reports from scenes, which got the details a bit mixed up, confusion and maybe exaggerated a bit.

As there was no crash and the plane took off again, I doubt there will be an update, as the news has moved on.

https://www.thaipbs.or.th/news/content/341032

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Yeah, I'd love to read the full safety report.  From the link:

However the airplane landed safely at 1.05 a.m. after the landing gear deployed fully just slightly skidding off the runway.

The airplane was at this Thai airport for around an hour for maintenance work and refuelling before taking off again for its destination.

I wonder why the landing gear warning would go off hundreds (thousands?) of miles before they needed to deploy the gear, and why they'd re-launch an aircraft an hour after it "skidded off the runway" as if nothing happened.  After topping it up...

Looks more like they either ran low on fuel, or they needed to clandestinely drop someone off in Thailand.  But I am a wingnut conspiracy buff.

Yingluck through the back door ?

• Like 2

Mmmmm, very interesting and thanks to the various airworthy sleuths.

We shall have to keep our eyes open for interesting people popping up suddenly in Thailand 'out of the blue' (literally) in the next few days and weeks. There's probably any number of possibilities.

But I wouldn't want to indulge in conspiracy theories or scaremongering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder why the landing gear warning would go off hundreds (thousands?) of miles before they needed to deploy the gear, and why they'd re-launch an aircraft an hour after it "skidded off the runway" as if nothing happened.  After topping it up...

I wonder if they had a hydraulic fluid warning of some kind... as  apposed to an actual landing gear warning?

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Pilots don't try and 'second guess' a problem, they follow the procedures. They DO NOT ignore warning indicators, ever.

Once boarded a QANTAS 747 flight from Hawaii to Sydney. Nothing happened for awhile but then captain announced they had a warning light on the Auto Pilot and he and the crew were not prepared to fly all that way on manual at night (flight due to take off around midnight). They were in contact with QANTAS maintenance and were looking at several options. The captain kept us updated as to what was happening. In the end advice was given that it was not an issue and we took off.

The downside was the airport had closed at midnight and we were not able to go back into the terminal and due to not actually taken off there were some laws not allowing serving of alcohol and other things.  We ended off taking off at 3am. We were late for our connecting flights to Brisbane. As per usual people were complaining.

Interesting that aircraft 9H-LIV cannot be tracked by registration on the flight tracking sites I checked. Dubai to MNL appears to be within the range of an A319-115 ACJ.

UTP to MNL is shown as around 1436 miles. DXB to UTP is around 3000 miles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Interesting that aircraft 9H-LIV cannot be tracked by registration on the flight tracking sites I checked. Dubai to MNL appears to be within the range of an A319-115 ACJ.

Most VIP companies block flight tracking in public apps.

When the aircraft is in the air, its transporter is on and the flight path, airspeed, etc. can be seen. But you can not search the app. As the flights have no flight code.

This was from last night.

2 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

IMG_3257.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

3 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

ATC did not confirm souls on board, fuel state, etc? Or do they just press the red button and the whole fleet of Pattaya's and surrounding areas ambulances respond?

The airport will have a emergency response plan, which will detail what response and actions are needed for any incident type.

Once the information from pilot is passed to ATC (Air traffic control), the airport duty manager, will put into action the suitable plan.

Turn out of emergency response in the U-Tapeo area, would have been done by messages to radio control centres and then radio messages to all relevant agencies, required to respond. Ambulances from as far as Pattaya responded to this incident.

The airport had also recently carried out an emergency response drill on May 30, 2024, when the Naval Aviation Division, Fleet Operations Command organised a emergency response, training exercise, to test the pre-determined plans for an aircraft accident at U-Tapao Airport.

ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation), guidelines, require this type of exercise takes place twice a year. This incident involved a Thai Navy, Dornier Do-228-212, turboprop aircraft with multiple casualties, crashed on the airport apron.

All airport and external agencies expected to respond in a real incident were involved, and there was pre exercise, refresher training, at the airport, between 24 - 30 May, to develop knowledge, cooperation, emergency planning/procedures, communications and incident command/management systems.

IMG_3285.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Some info on the aircraft

Screenshot_20240615-133239_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Farma

13 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Most VIP companies block flight tracking in public apps.

When the aircraft is in the air, its transporter is on and the flight path, airspeed, etc. can be seen. But you can not search the app. As the flights have no flight code.

This was from last night.

It'll be interesting to see where and when the plane pops up again. 

The wingnut in me suspects a clandestine "delivery" to Thailand, but the most likely scenario (IMO) is that they (FlyDubai) chartered the plane to fly some staff to where they were needed, and maybe to position the plane itself, as well.  That based on your link showing a typical crew of 2+2, with the news now saying 9 crew and not mentioning any passengers.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

It'll be interesting to see where and when the plane pops up again. 

The wingnut in me suspects a clandestine "delivery" to Thailand, but the most likely scenario (IMO) is that they (FlyDubai) chartered the plane to fly some staff to where they were needed, and maybe to position the plane itself, as well.  That based on your link showing a typical crew of 2+2, with the news now saying 9 crew and not mentioning any passengers.

I can’t see why it declared a full emergency, when it could of requested an emergency divert for one sick passenger, and hence just a small emergency response, if it wanted a ‘clandestine’ landing.

You guys think too much. 

Probably a leak on the hydraulic system and they landed whilst there was still enough pressure to operate the gear. After fixing the leak and refilling the system they were on their way. 

IMG_2095.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

actual report before it went through layers of chinese whispers was that the plane was due to refuel at Utapao anyway, and there was no emergency, only that the pilot reported the front gear was reluctant to turn at the end of the runway, hence the plane was sitting on the runway for a while and tow vehicle was requested but the issue was corrected, no emergency was ever declared 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Homburg said:

There are so many inconsistencies in this news report that one might wonder whether in fact the truth is that when Thai reporters don't know the facts they just make up a story to fit the pictures.

Yes, the only reporters there were local news staff, and most of the story seems based on social media reports posted by responders, who were caught up in the chaos, excitement and rumours at the RVP.

There have been zero official public  statements from either the airport or airline involved.

42 minutes ago, Homburg said:

There are so many inconsistencies in this news report that one might wonder whether in fact the truth is that when Thai reporters don't know the facts they just make up a story to fit the pictures.

Yeah.. Yingduck has landed..

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

I can’t see why it declared a full emergency, when it could of requested an emergency divert for one sick passenger, and hence just a small emergency response, if it wanted a ‘clandestine’ landing.

Just spitballing here, but avid readers of Wingnut Weekly Gazette may suspect that a single sick passenger would have seen the plane directed to Swampy where they have emergency health care onsite 24/7 and many nearby hospitals, but the authorities may be less friendly toward the Shins.

I still think it was most likely a routine chartered flight to move airline staff and a plane around.  But I wouldn't bet the farm against Ms Yingluck showing up at a Bangkok event in the very near future. 

Besides, routine airline stuff is no fun to talk about...

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

actual report before it went through layers of chinese whispers was that the plane was due to refuel at Utapao anyway, and there was no emergency, only that the pilot reported the front gear was reluctant to turn at the end of the runway, hence the plane was sitting on the runway for a while and tow vehicle was requested but the issue was corrected, no emergency was ever declared 

- 

That makes the most sense. One hour stop - time for a full fuel load, disembark a few peeps and then I would bet on a direct return to Dubai. Fly Dubai don't have  any Airbuses but I suppose it could be an arranged charter.,

It all sounds fishy - even the slightly off the runway bit. An hour is not enough for damage and equioment checks.

If it was a hoax then calling in all those emergency vehicles on a Friday night is unforgivable.

Edited by nauseus

46 minutes ago, digbeth said:

That would explain why ground services were available at that time of night, out of normal hours.

I can find no evidence the pilot issued a swalk code or declared an emergency, but the airport did declare a full emergency when the aircraft was over the gulf of Thailand. All ambulances were in place at the RVP before the aircraft fly over them, and the Police had closed the main road under the flight path, before the plane landed.

The initial emergency briefing, at the RVP, reported the plane had front landing gear problems, and this was when it was still on approach, but all emergency crews were only told to standby, with no-one proceeding airside.

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

Thanks @GeorgeAlbert for sharing your obviously in-depth knowledge of the arcane inner workings of the Airline and flight industry.  Your posts made for interesting and informative reading.  

Thanks, but I was lucky last night, as I knew a few people who were at the RVP.

And this incident was more interesting than the Germany v Scotland game.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1