Monetization of YouTube

Does anyone know how much money can be made by monetizing a YouTube channel? 

I've had one for 15+ years, just for fun, but after running the app called YouTube Studio, it knew who I was, went to my channel, told me I had 34,500 subscribers and 30,000 views just this last month!

My channel has old 60's/70's music videos, but they're obviously still popular. 

Anyone done or doing monetizing? 

33 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Does anyone know how much money can be made by monetizing a YouTube channel? 

I've had one for 15+ years, just for fun, but after running the app called YouTube Studio, it knew who I was, went to my channel, told me I had 34,500 subscribers and 30,000 views just this last month!

My channel has old 60's/70's music videos, but they're obviously still popular. 

Anyone done or doing monetizing? 

Nothing as you don't own the copyright the money from adsense will go to them.

• Agree 2

You can't earn money on copyright material. I also owned a music channel, after several copyright strikes it got blocked and I lost access to the account. 

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, balo said:

You can't earn money on copyright material. I also owned a music channel, after several copyright strikes it got blocked and I lost access to the account. 

Same here on another platform.  My shop closed down due to copyright infringement. Music copyright is a really hot potato in America and The Universal  Music Group employ staff to track down people ignoring copyright.

Try a Youtube channel with original content. Might work but you do have to prostitute yourself to have a chance of success. Plenty doing it here already.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

You need more than 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours in a year. Then you can apply for monetization which is manually assesed. The copyright material means it falls at the first hurdle.

Right, and I  am sure you realize anyone can buy all that.  Anyone can start a channel and pay for Subs, views, likes or anything.  Start a channel and a few days later you are good to go.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Right, and I  am sure you realize anyone can buy all that.  Anyone can start a channel and pay for Subs, views, likes or anything.  Start a channel and a few days later you are good to go.

The algos are pretty smart now they even pick up a fragment of music in say a 20 minute walking talking head which means the uploader has to edit and reupload. All You Tube is bothered about is advertsing and reputation. They are looking for original content thats passes their tests with a human lookover before they approve. Old copyright music would simply not pass that test.

9 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The algos are pretty smart now they even pick up a fragment of music in say a 20 minute walking talking head which means the uploader has to edit and reupload. All You Tube is bothered about is advertsing and reputation. They are looking for original content thats passes their tests with a human lookover before they approve. Old copyright music would simply not pass that test.

OK, but I am not really talking about content at all.  I am talking about monetizing.  A person can open a channel, walk around for 10 minutes and show a stream in Bangkok, then buy 1000 subs and buy views.  You Tube actually knows about this and excourages it,  as it then and make money to advertise on the channel.

There are many many fake channels out there.  1000's of subs when in reality they have very few.

https://www.qqtube.com/buy-youtube-subscribers

• Like 2

18 hours ago, balo said:

Yes, I've had a copyright strike on a couple. Not blocked yet 🤞

9 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

You need more than 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours in a year. Then you can apply for monetization which is manually assesed. The copyright material means it falls at the first hurdle.

Nearly all 90+ of my videos are listed as copyright. A few (<10) are blocked. 

Looks like it's a non-starter.

Thanks for all your info. 

Edited by JetsetBkk
Add thanks.

Can anyone give any $ information for what you can earn with original material?  Suppose you make 200 videos, all with original material.  How do you monetise this?  Do you need to simply have viewers, or do you need subscribers to your channel or... or?

I ask because as I get older and older, I was thinking of placing my primary grade science videos onto YouTube.  I create all the content myself and each video for each science topic is about 60 minutes long. It covers the complete school science curriculum from grade 1 to grade 5, typically about 35 videos per grade.

Judging from the demand for my paid online science lessons, I can imagine that many young students would jump at the chance of viewing this content for free.

Your thoughts.... and advice!

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Can anyone give any $ information for what you can earn with original material?  Suppose you make 200 videos, all with original material.  How do you monetise this?  Do you need to simply have viewers, or do you need subscribers to your channel or... or?

I ask because as I get older and older, I was thinking of placing my primary grade science videos onto YouTube.  I create all the content myself and each video for each science topic is about 60 minutes long. It covers the complete school science curriculum from grade 1 to grade 5, typically about 35 videos per grade.

Judging from the demand for my paid online science lessons, I can imagine that many young students would jump at the chance of viewing this content for free.

The problem with estimating revenue is that it is not just a question of views.

The ad revenue depends a lot of the types of ads your videos attract.

For example, during the crypto craze (as FTX was approaching disaster), channels with trading content were getting disproportionate ad revenue because crypto scammers were willing to pay a lot more for ads presented to people who considered themselves traders. Many of these content creators reported on how their revenue dropped precipitously after FTX went belly up.

So, the revenue you can generate will depend a great deal on the advertisers and how they value your audience.

You can't be serious doing it all alone. 

There are at least 4 different subjects involved

• script & content writing
  • actual performance
  • video recording & editing (including Lights and Magic)
  • and the toughest - SEO

Mystical times of Lone Youtube rangers are gone before Obama came to White House, you're not going to waste time and money for that Windmills fights.

"Monetization and estimating revenue" - #ROFL

4 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

It's 90 days for each strike and if the count goes over 2 at any time the account is banned from YouTube.

The one with a "copyright+1" strike next to it was notified to me on 14th March this year. So that should've expired 5 days ago!

That was for a recent video (uploaded Dec '22) that had the same soundtrack as the one I uploaded in May 2008, and which was removed after a complaint by the copywriter owner. 

I just read all the details about strikes and, as you said, if you get 3, then your channel is closed. 

I must check if I still have the original videos on my PC and, if not, download them all. 

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

isn't it around 2k usd for approx 1mn views. so that should give you a good idea. 

12 hours ago, stoner said:

isn't it around 2k usd for approx 1mn views. so that should give you a good idea. 

Thanks - the main problem I have is that the biggest demand for my science lessons etc comes from mainland China.  Perhaps I should investigate Youku instead....

• Agree 1