How dangerous is vehicle pollution around Bangkok ?

Today crossing the road in Silom, that dreaded black smoke emitting red bus pulled up right next to me. As i begin to cross the road i was hit by the black smoke. Straight down my nostrils it went. I mean really in 2024 these busses are still allowed on the roads? But the horror wasn't to end, as i get over half the road to intersection, another red bus comes roaring past in the other direction. Once again another blast of black smoke hits my face. 

Here's a stock photo of those busses - i'm sure you've seen them around.

spacer.png

Our condo as in a very busy area. I leave my condo and it's constant fumes. Not helped by the heat which seems to make the situation worst. With traffic sometimes at a standstill (with the dreaded 4 minute red light traffic lights) you are really getting hit by the exhaust fumes. 

I know we all go on about PM 2.5, and the burning of the crops. These measurements are usually taken on towers. I am talking about ground level fumes that hit you in the face. 

The belch from the exhaust is made worst, because some of these vehicles don't adhere to western levels of emissions. You have some 80's vehicles that are still emitting dangerous exhaust fumes.

I write this today, because i arrived back in Scotland to see family yesterday. For the first time in nearly a year i could take a deep breath. Whilst around my condo in Bangkok i am usually holding my breath or taking low level breaths. But here i could take a deep inhale and exhale. Clearly here with congestion charges, strong rules on vehicle emissions it's just a whole different feel.

This brings me to another point. Condo's here are build on main roads ! That is clearly the most attractive to buy here. Where as in the west if you built a luxury condo on the M1 Motorway people wouldn't touch it. But here you build a condo on the main road it's seen as an attractive feature. My previous condo had a view of not just one highway, but two ! The agent was telling me how great this was, as in 20 seconds i could be on expressway. I looked at her with sheer confusion, thinking of the horrific pollution. 

I have began to wear masks now and again. It's got to the point now i feel my sinus really struggling at night. With some sort of pain i get in my face. 

I am curious though, is there any research how dangerous this level of pollution is in Bangkok ?

Just some ramblings so forgive. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

7 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Whilst around my condo in Bangkok i am usually holding my breath or taking low level breaths.

hold your breath. are we talking hours on end or ? and whats a low level breath. do you get closer to the pavement with your mouth ? or do you only open your mouth a teeny tiny bit and take a micro breath. :)

that last one probably helps a lot. 

get an aircon with a pm 2.5 filter for your room in the condo. wear a n95 mask while out on your bike or a taxi bike. if you drive a car they make a small usb plug in filter you can get. you will notice a huge difference. this pollution is life taking serious. thailand and south east asia is going to explode with cancer over the next 15 years.

every breath you take at street level in bkk is pretty toxic. mix in smog season with that and you are truly breathing poison. 

Diesel exhaust is link to heart & lung disease.  Not suspect ... linked.

image.png.e480781d14d48959a707d487f9c04446.png

(source)

So yes, very dangerous, and if exposed constantly, N95 mask at least.  I thought the thread was rhetorical, but you did ask with last-ish statement.

I'm amazed myself the fuel is still legal, and simply shows how powerful the fossil fuel industry is, in dictating govt policy.

Edited by KhunLA

On 6/16/2024 at 8:06 AM, Tropicalevo said:

To answer the heading - Very dangerous. :sick:

That is why many Thais (and folk in other Asian countries) have been wearing masks since before Covid.

Foolishly , you might add. As the masks they wear have no protection against fumes. The majority of them wear masks as they are ashamed of how unattractive they are- as measured by social media standards which is what Asians are concerned about.

• Confused 1