35 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

do you like it ?      How long have you lived in it ?         Did you pour a concrete pad for it ? Please feel free to elaborate.

I rented it for a short time. It's possible to live in though it seems to me it's not forever. Very light construction. Hot in High season, hot in low season. Aircon in all rooms is a must. If I would be in my late 70s I would go for it. Maybe. But a 2nd hand house is available for the same price. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 8:12 AM, KannikaP said:

This is how I remember them. Called Prefabs.

Prefab.webp

You  beat me to it.

Short for "Prefabricated" A lot of these were built in England just after WW2 to help overcome a housing shortage. There were some at the end of the road I lived in as a very young child in the late 50s / early 60s. I never went inside one, but they were apparently very comfortable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

I rented it for a short time. It's possible to live in though it seems to me it's not forever. Very light construction. Hot in High season, hot in low season. Aircon in all rooms is a must. If I would be in my late 70s I would go for it. Maybe. But a 2nd hand house is available for the same price. 

roof not vented?

1 hour ago, VBF said:

You  beat me to it.

Short for "Prefabricated" A lot of these were built in England just after WW2 to help overcome a housing shortage. There were some at the end of the road I lived in as a very young child in the late 50s / early 60s. I never went inside one, but they were apparently very comfortable.

The UK could do with a few of them being erected right now to house, what shall I say, boat people.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Gotta say, I love the concept for Thailand. 

When you call them "knockdowns", does that mean they can be knocked down and moved off your wife's land when the divorce comes through and she still owns the land (but the house on it can be in a foreigners name...)?

Seems there should be a healthy market for a movable home, especially with the vagaries in Thai land laws that even catch Thai people out when they build a house on land that's set aside for agriculture.

And not to be spiteful (much), but I love the idea of the ex coming home to an empty lot where she schemed that she'd move her side guy in and live happily ever after.  I'd pay extra for the CCTV footage of the look on her face.  (Not that I have a Thai wife, nor any prospects)

Hope the discussion continues with more options and personal experiences...  The examples posted so far look pretty good option.  $<25K USD seems like a deal.  Any idea what the all-in cost would be including slab, PEA, water, septic, delivery, labor, etc?  (Leave out the land, which is way too variable)

Edit:  And one last question (for now).  Is there a market or even any brokers who sell knockdowns to be moved?  Seems like there would be some available from people whose needs changed and they want or need to sell.

30,000 for delivery which is part of the price Septic included

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

roof not vented?

Depends on the company. If you want to have Rockwool or any other kind of insulation it's getting expensive.

It's all more or less a cement slab house. If you want to hang a picture or try to drill a hole you have free view to the outer world. Some companies build it with double walls but this makes only sense if you fill between Rockwool. And doing this you'll pay even more than "classic" houses 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:13 AM, charleskerins said:

Anyone have any experience with them?

i think I seen lovely wooden houses made in Nissan and they transport em where you want..... cheaper than that....  search and ye shall find..

1 minute ago, Seeall said:

i think I seen lovely wooden houses made in Nissan and they transport em where you want..... cheaper than that....  search and ye shall find..

Yes they are nice but very small

I like the concept in general, and I'm sure from a housing perspective they're probably even better than a lot of other options out there, however I can't help but wonder about my number 1 personal concern: safety and security. Basically anyone with a rock can break into these - just smash one of the huge windows. Way too easy to break into when you're away, way to easy to attack you if someone wanted to. Or am I worng to assume that?

I'd have the same concerns with a regular house, however with a house you can at least put bars on the windows to deter those who seek easy targets. With a lot of these half the walls are windows so it isn't feasible to put bars on them.

3 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I'd have the same concerns with a regular house, however with a house you can at least put bars on the windows to deter those who seek easy targets. With a lot of these half the walls are windows so it isn't feasible to put bars on them.

I wonder if all that glass area on the samples and drawings can be substituted with solid walls?  Even more than the security aspect, I don't like the idea of all that glass in the Thai sun, for cooling purposes.  And not being able to walk around in my skivvies without the neighbors laughing at my tiny package.  Window tint can only hide so much, especially at night with the lights on inside.

I suspect all that glass is to make them look moderner and zoomier for the brochures.  But I have been wrong before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder if all that glass area on the samples and drawings can be substituted with solid walls?  Even more than the security aspect, I don't like the idea of all that glass in the Thai sun, for cooling purposes.  And not being able to walk around in my skivvies without the neighbors laughing at my tiny package.  Window tint can only hide so much, especially at night with the lights on inside.

I suspect all that glass is to make them look moderner and zoomier for the brochures.  But I have been wrong before.

The sites I have looked at show them being fully customizable. And a sandwich wall panel is likely cheaper than glass as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1