Nearly 70, can't keep up with my pals, purchased ebike, now they can't keep up.

Did you have to upgrade the cranks-set at all ??

I've ridden eBikes in Grizedale (Lake District, UK), while towing my Son (then a toddler) with 'kiddie-trailer'...  the power upgrade was awesome - and I was able to pass my friend (an avid mountain-biker) up the steep inclines... Great fun..

But... the extra power through the cogs and chain reported adds a lot of extra wear and tear and they need to be able to handle the extra power - I'd be worried of a 'lower quality' crank-set wore more readily then on a ride while a decent distance from base some teeth would shear... 

I suppose thats something that could be checked for wear and tear regularly.

• Like 1

Regarding bike size...  I'm also 182cm and ride a 29'er....  so think the size of bike you have is about right.

... the inner-tube blowing at 30psi... it could have been many possibilities.

- Old 'rubber' (i.e. an inner tube that had been in storage for a few years.

- Faulty inner-tube with a weak spot.

- poor installation, with a pinch point against the rim etc.

I blew my Son's inner-tube on his mountain bike... that also went at about 30psi... 

But his bike was a couple of years old and had sat there with deflated tyres for about 6 months, so I put it down to degraded rubber (everything degrades so quickly here).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... the extra power through the cogs and chain reported adds a lot of extra wear and tear and they need to be able to handle the extra power - I'd be worried of a 'lower quality' crank-set wore more readily then on a ride while a decent distance from base some teeth would shear... 

I've gone rear hub geared motor, no extra strain on the chain, derailleur or crank, it has its own internal gearing.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

.. the inner-tube blowing at 30psi... it could have been many possibilities.

- Old 'rubber' (i.e. an inner tube that had been in storage for a few years.

- Faulty inner-tube with a weak spot.

- poor installation, with a pinch point against the rim etc.

Everything brand new 2024 model.

Sounds fabulous.

And with 500W no wonder you are flying along, that’s way more power than the (1hour) power ability that top professional cyclists will admit to.

We have a female rider in our team who rides an e-bike, she’s often joins long rides, sitting on the front of the bunch at 40Km/hr, cool as a cucumber while the test of us tuck inline behind 

I certainly would not rule out an e-bike for when I’m older.

I trust you do wear a helmet, certainly at those speeds it is advisable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I trust you do wear a helmet, certainly at those speeds it is advisable

Yep, always, although I only want 20-25 kph as my normal speed, and a little extra muscle up the 1 in 10 hills.

• Agree 1

Did the tube balloon out the side of the rim? If not it points to someone using a tire lever to get the tire over the rim instead of using their thumbs.

A quality Inner tubes will not usually degrade even after a few years inside a tire.

I have seen a few of the lower price tubes have thin spots in them but never seen them burst.

Love Ebikes, they were not around when I was in the business. I was a major importer distributor and retailer of mountain bikes in Singapore, I had a chain of five retail shops on the Island and supplied complete bikes, frames and accessories into Singapore and across SEA.

I have replaced hundreds of MTB tubes and tires during my time helping the mechanics in the workshops  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Did the tube balloon out the side of the rim?

Yes it did, pushed the tire off the rim, ballooned out then bang. The tires are a bit odd, soft, fat and floppy. Took more care with the next tube, bit of air, rotate tire, squeezing all around, then repeat.

As the shop had already ridden the bike before shipping, I assumed the tire and tube were all seated. I didn't allow for the floppy tires which could be effortlessly pulled off with one hand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Trinx 29er M1000pro + 500w rear hub motor, 15ah 48v battery, 34,000bht.

It's actually better than I expected, frame is almost too large (I'm 182cm) for me. 10 gears, hydraulic brakes, big tires.

17185218350493570652082705624965.jpg

That sounds about right, as I'm 175cm, and my Schwinn is 26", and a good fit for me.  All my bikes have been the same, except one fold up, but seat and handlebars adjust to a very comfy seating/pedaling position.  Surprising just as good as the Schwinn.  Have both here in TH, bought here.

DIY Ebike (Schwinn) and also  rear hub, and keep it around 25kph, which is more than fast enough, and will go much faster, having 1000w.  

Your Trinx, nice specs & price.  Hindsight, I should have just bought a premade instead of DIY'ing it, as rest of the bike isn't made for higher speeds; brakes & suspension.

ENJOY

Went out again today, Wat Doi Tairn, 25Km round trip in 1hr, including a 1Km run up a 11% hill at 15Km/hr, my normal speed up that hill being 5Km/hr. Strava says my average power was 250w, which is almost bang on, I normally average 100w, and assist 1 provides 140w from the motor.

I did use a little extra throttle up the 11% hill.

It's amazing my usual cruising speed has risen from 15Km/hr to 25Km/hr with a tiny bit less effort from me.

And I'm no longer gasping for breath and soaked in sweat at the end of the 25km trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Went out again today, Wat Doi Tairn, 25Km round trip in 1hr, including a 1Km run up a 11% hill at 15Km/hr, my normal speed up that hill being 5Km/hr. Strava says my average power was 250w, which is almost bang on, I normally average 100w, and assist 1 provides 140w from the motor.

I did use a little extra throttle up the 11% hill.

It's amazing my usual cruising speed has risen from 15Km/hr to 25Km/hr with a tiny bit less effort from me.

And I'm no longer gasping for breath and soaked in sweat at the end of the 25km trip.

There’s been a couple of incidents in cycle racing in which what is referred to as ‘mechanical doping’ has been confirmed to have occurred and quite a few in which it has been suspected.

’Mechanical doping’ being the use of an electric motor assist.

The most notable example was Femke Van den Driessche who got caught using a motor at the Women’s Under 23 race of the UCI Cyclocross World Championships in January 2016.

More recently a French rider got caught in an amateur event, and tried to escape in a his van with a race official sprawled on the hood.

Interestingly the motor being used by ‘mechanical/motor dopers’ are relatively low power of 50W, however that’s the kind of power boost that would make a significant impact in a climb or a sprint.

As a STRAVA user you are probably aware there are many riders who go hunting KOM’s on e-bikes.

It’s madness, they fool only themselves.

Anyway, enjoy your e-bike, I’m sure to get one eventually, and certainly would consider a cargo bike right now.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As a STRAVA user you are probably aware there are many riders who go hunting KOM’s on e-bikes.

Up the 11% hill, Strava awarded me a 2nd fastest in the world award. Was quite surprised as all Durian riders vegans used to go up that hill.

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Up the 11% hill, Strava awarded me a 2nd fastest in the world award. Was quite surprised as all Durian riders vegans used to go up that hill.

You can set your bike as an e-bike in STRAVA 

Add your bike to the ‘Gear’ register then set the bike type as e-bike.

STRAVA are rolling out AI segment monitors that will remove your record if not identified correctly.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

Batman joined us on his e-bike on the Pubcycle 2023, and left us for dead on the uphill segments.  It was great that he could join us and keep up, but some of the guys felt it was unfair, and I fanged it at > 28 kph beyond his cut-out down the highway out of badness.

Pubcycle 2024 will be in August, so get your registration in, and more importantly, your contributions

Just completed 7 days in a row at 25km each time. Bike is a lot better than expected, the hydraulic brakes need a longer pull than I'm used to, but they work well. Gear change is very smooth.

Trinx bike seat doesn't fit my bum, so I've pulled my Adamo (copy) off the Merida for my ultimate riding comfort.

Big surprise is I can easily cycle at 20kph on the flat (with power assist off), while my previous MTB (Merida Matt's 40) I could only manage 15kph.

Riding with a pal, so I only used electric power up the hills this time, as he only had leg power. 

So today's ride, distance 25.5km, time 1hr 15mins, average speed 20.6kph, electricity used 100whr. Battery recharge time 1hr.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:57 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

You can set your bike as an e-bike in STRAVA 

I can edit the ride to ebike, but there's no option to add my equipment as an ebike, so I have to select it after every ride.

Was going to have a day off today, but I woke up, the weather was great so another 25Km ...... 8 days in a row.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can edit the ride to ebike, but there's no option to add my equipment as an ebike, so I have to select it after every ride.

Was going to have a day off today, but I woke up, the weather was great so another 25Km ...... 8 days in a row.

Consistency is the key to improving fitness, especially as we age.

Do you wear a heart monitor or watch with pulse monitoring?

I’ve been using a Polar monitor for about 15 years now, apart from being useful as a training aid, it’s a very good precaution against over exertion in hot weather.

My pulse is normally with a predictable range but there have been a few occasions in hot weather that it’s gone over what I regard as my maximum pulse.

Also, since you are riding more regularly consider supplementing your electrolytes.

I add half a sachet of Royal-D electrolytes to my first water bottle on each ride and after very long rides (80Km +) I add one sachet to two liters of water that I drink in first hour or so after the ride.

Edited by Chomper Higgot