Filipina Woman Overstays in Thailand for Over 4 Years

webfact

14 hours ago, RobU said:

Embassies don't pay to repatriate citizens, especially those who have broken local laws, that is a fact of international law. She will remain in custody until she can pay her own fare back to the Philippines

It has happened already many times that the embassy assists Filipino overstayers, it's not exactly the embassy "paying." 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, ryandb said:

Maybe.. The fine caps out at 20k doesn't it then obviously need the money for a flight home so probably 30k needed, I wouldn't be shocked to know they have savings around this amount if shes working in a language school or freelancer without addiction issues.

When you go to court the fine is usually reduced to 2000 baht,if you have no money that is ten days in jail.

The flight should not be so much.She probably has some friends here who can help her get home.

A few days and she can be home.

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

When you go to court the fine is usually reduced to 2000 baht,if you have no money that is ten days in jail.

The flight should not be so much.She probably has some friends here who can help her get home.

A few days and she can be home.

I would think she will be ok or even on her way home already, its the Burmese and Cambodians that usually get stuck from what I've heard

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, ronster said:

How did she finance her 4 year stay ? 

From Siam Rath:

From the investigation, it was learned that MS.MARRY did not work as a source but used to be hired to take care of the elderly from time to time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

It has happened already many times that the embassy assists Filipino overstayers, it's not exactly the embassy "paying." 

You mean that the Embassy facilitates transfer of funds which is completely different to your original statement 

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

What about the 90-days repports?  Thailand is and will be a haven for criminals.

I think you'll find overstayers avoiding authority wouldn't complete such reports.

Which proves the point that they are useless for the function Immigration purports them to have.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Was in a church should have asked for sanctuary and caused a bit of turmoil for the immigration for a change 

"In recent years the role of churches as sanctuaries and asylums for people fleeing law enforcement has entered the spotlight. People facing deportation for immigration law violations have sometimes turned to churches in hopes that a church’s sanctuary status will protect them from immigration enforcement. Churches that provide sanctuary to fugitives should take a moment to understand the limits upon a church’s ability to prevent law enforcement from arresting someone on church grounds, as well as the potential legal liability to the church, its employees, and its volunteers.

A church is not a valid sanctuary against arrest"

www.churchlawcenter.com

I was once seeking a particularly odious character who was hiding in a house of worship.

I was refused entry by the Imam. I was prepared to proceed, but people way above my pay grade demurred. 

Edited by Old Croc

2 hours ago, Sig said:

Yes, I do think they (the majority) are going to say, "Oh, that's a shame", and return to their home country. I like to believe that the majority of people are not criminals.
I suppose you could say that making laws exacerbates problems, much like those who argue that speeding laws exacerbate traffic issues. However, I don't find that argument logical or convincing. A country can't simply, willy-nilly hand out work visas to everyone who requests one. I know you didn't say such and may not intend that, but it could be seen as a logical progression from your position. Certainly, there will always be individuals who engage in criminal activities and contribute to the 'Black Economy.' This is precisely why we have laws — to provide recourse against such lawless individuals who demonstrate a disregard for the societal norms reinforced by a legal framework.
Agreed, there are unscrupulous employers who criminally exploit these individuals for their own selfish gain, thus further necessitating laws to address such antisocial behavior. It may indeed be in the best interest of society not to allow such individuals to operate businesses.

Thank you for your post - you make some valid points, which I agree with.

The point I was trying to make is that there are lots of people who apply for visas, get rejected, and then decide to "go underground" and take their chances. (Which is borne out by the number of illegals in Thailand or the USA or the UK)  Certainly there are those who will go by the letter of the law and return to their countries and maybe try again at a future date, but I feel that most of these will not try again - especially with the air fares being so expensive these days, and they have travelled a long way to get there  - not from Myanmar or Laos to Thailand, but for instance the USA, which has been mentioned in the thread.

I think (and I emphasise that word, because it is merely an opinion) that if you put yourself in the position of say a young woman who has travelled a great distance to get into the USA or UK, that she will not have travelled there "off her own bat", but no doubt has a few friends (accomplices?) that are already there that will be willing to show her how to live life "under the umbrella". 

Similarly, (and I agree with your point here) there are unscrupulous employers that will give these girls/women jobs because they can, and no doubt the wages will be well below what they should be paying for the services.

Slightly off topic, but with the same principle in mind, I am originally from the UK, and we have a similar problem with illegals, and official figures show an alarming trend:- 

"Provisional operational data shows that between 1 January and 21 April 2024 there were: 6,265 small boat arrivals compared to 5,049 in the same period last year, an increase of 24%"

And that is just by boats - there are thousands more who get smuggled into the country in the back of wagons etc.

The problem here is that if they are just sent back to France, they will just try again tomorrow, and eventually, a great number will succeed, and I doubt very much if these thousands are intent on getting work permits, and if refused, go back to where they came from - on this we disagree. The latest plan by the UK Government is to relocate/ship them off to somewhere in Africa, but they don't want to go, because "they don't feel safe there." 

My own suggestion for a solution would be to stick a big sign in the middle of the ENGLISH Channel which reads "SORRY - FULL UP!", ( but of course I am being flippant!) Maybe a change in Government may bring new ideas to rectify the situation but somehow I doubt that "The Nanny State" will change overnight!

22 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Targeting a Catholic Church because “foreigners” gather there sounds very much like targeting Philippine nationals.

Its rank racial profiling but I guess that’s pretty much standard here.

Ok let's see the RTP head down to a Mosque and try that and see what happens...

They won't because their scared they might find something worse than an overstayer!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/17/2024 at 12:39 PM, Hakuna Matata said:

OMG, those suspicious Filipinas are violating the immigration law of Thailand once again? :partytime2:

Once again?

Other nationalities never.

3 hours ago, RobU said:

You mean that the Embassy facilitates transfer of funds which is completely different to your original statement 

"The immigration would help her go home." I think your comprehension needs some polishing. I know what's going on in that community and the embassy for a very long time. You won't understand how things work, so I would leave you with your worked up mind. 

1 hour ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

"The immigration would help her go home." I think your comprehension needs some polishing. I know what's going on in that community and the embassy for a very long time. You won't understand how things work, so I would leave you with your worked up mind. 

Wrong immigration does not pay her fare home

20 hours ago, sambum said:

Thank you for your post - you make some valid points, which I agree with.

The point I was trying to make is that there are lots of people who apply for visas, get rejected, and then decide to "go underground" and take their chances. (Which is borne out by the number of illegals in Thailand or the USA or the UK)  Certainly there are those who will go by the letter of the law and return to their countries and maybe try again at a future date, but I feel that most of these will not try again - especially with the air fares being so expensive these days, and they have travelled a long way to get there  - not from Myanmar or Laos to Thailand, but for instance the USA, which has been mentioned in the thread.

I think (and I emphasise that word, because it is merely an opinion) that if you put yourself in the position of say a young woman who has travelled a great distance to get into the USA or UK, that she will not have travelled there "off her own bat", but no doubt has a few friends (accomplices?) that are already there that will be willing to show her how to live life "under the umbrella". 

Similarly, (and I agree with your point here) there are unscrupulous employers that will give these girls/women jobs because they can, and no doubt the wages will be well below what they should be paying for the services.

Slightly off topic, but with the same principle in mind, I am originally from the UK, and we have a similar problem with illegals, and official figures show an alarming trend:- 

"Provisional operational data shows that between 1 January and 21 April 2024 there were: 6,265 small boat arrivals compared to 5,049 in the same period last year, an increase of 24%"

And that is just by boats - there are thousands more who get smuggled into the country in the back of wagons etc.

The problem here is that if they are just sent back to France, they will just try again tomorrow, and eventually, a great number will succeed, and I doubt very much if these thousands are intent on getting work permits, and if refused, go back to where they came from - on this we disagree. The latest plan by the UK Government is to relocate/ship them off to somewhere in Africa, but they don't want to go, because "they don't feel safe there." 

My own suggestion for a solution would be to stick a big sign in the middle of the ENGLISH Channel which reads "SORRY - FULL UP!", ( but of course I am being flippant!) Maybe a change in Government may bring new ideas to rectify the situation but somehow I doubt that "The Nanny State" will change overnight!

Thanks for your ideas. I agree with the sign in the channel!
On the bit about people staying upon work visa refusal. I had more in mind the typical Thai illegal who came either for tourism, work, or studies, and then decided to stay on even after their original visa had expired, but wouldn't be able to get a work visa approved. I didn't have in mind the type you mentioned who were intentionally coming over to work illegally. We are not in disagreement there. I'm certain you're right that these criminals who are purposefully entering illegally, seeking work, would not go back home after being refused a visa. They've already proved themselves to be criminals who couldn't care less about the laws of the country they are attempting to take advantage of and wouldn't be stopped by something like that.
I feel compassion for these people who are hoping to better their and their families' lives, but I can't excuse them for breaking these laws. I think many of them could actually become productive citizens, but sadly they are headed down the wrong path.

• Agree 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

I'd love to know what "acting suspiciously" means in Thailand

Clue number 1, not handing over Brown paper bag, please feel free to add more 

On 6/18/2024 at 11:37 AM, Cracker2000 said:

Ok let's see the RTP head down to a Mosque and try that and see what happens...

They won't because their scared they might find something worse than an overstayer!

Until cannabis is re-criminalized,  they need to cover all bases to make arrests. Got to make a case to keep that job.