American Tourist Involved in Car Crash Injures Man in Pattaya

snoop1130

car-collision-yield-to-right.jpg

On the evening of June 16, 2024, a car accident occurred in Pattaya, Thailand where a local man's car collided with an American tourist's vehicle, resulting in minor injuries for the Thai man.

The unfortunate incident took place on Soi Phra Tamnak 6, Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung district, in Chonburi province involving two sedan cars. The Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Rescue Foundation promptly responded, arriving on the scene alongside The Pattaya News team.

Emergency services found a black Honda Jazz flipped onto its side, with visible damage and engine oil spilt on the road. This car was driven by Mr. Theerathorn Ha-ngen, a 30-year-old Thai local. The other car, a bronze Honda sedan, was driven by 43-year-old Mr. Mohammed Amir Dhedhi, an American visiting the country. Despite the accident, Mr. Dhedhi remained uninjured and active in cooperating with local authorities.

According to Mr. Ha-ngen, the accident was caused when Mr. Dhedhi's car, which was parked by the roadside, unexpectedly pulled out and collided with his car's back end. This resulted in his car flipping and the resulting injuries which included minor scrapes and discomfort in his chest and abdomen.

Presently, the Pattaya police are examining CCTV footage to establish the origins of the accident, assign responsibility, and decide if there's a need for legal proceedings.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Mr. Ha-ngen, the accident was caused when Mr. Dhedhi's car, which was parked by the roadside, unexpectedly pulled out and collided with his car's back end. This resulted in his car flipping and the resulting injuries which included minor scrapes and discomfort in his chest and abdomen.

.... OK... and according to Mr. Dhedhi ???    we're only getting the Thai fella's story, not the Americans ?

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Mr. Ha-ngen, the accident was caused when Mr. Dhedhi's car, which was parked by the roadside, unexpectedly pulled out and collided with his car's back end.

Moose-limp pit maneuver? 😂

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Mr. Ha-ngen, the accident was caused when Mr. Dhedhi's car, which was parked by the roadside, unexpectedly pulled out and collided with his car's back end.

Either a bad translation or wrong statement.

I was scratching my head to understand what this could mean.

Fortunately there is video from Pattaya News on youtube.

(search for "Thai man suffers minor injuries after car accident with an American tourist in Pattaya")

Very simple and trivial, check the mirrors!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Had to search for forum rules (tedious) before putting a link. It's not a forbidden source 😃
Sure the driver of the black sedan could have noted that something is coming on?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

.... OK... and according to Mr. Dhedhi ???    we're only getting the Thai fella's story, not the Americans ?

Yeah, but we know that already. They don´t need to hear, as he is automatically at fault for having the wrong nationality. 😉 

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Had to search for forum rules (tedious) before putting a link. It's not a forbidden source 😃
Sure the driver of the black sedan could have noted that something is coming on?

Yeah, that video is showing the Thai driver just not looking and driving far to close to the car pulling out very very slow, leaving much room and time for adjusting instead of just continue straight. The Thai driver was probably more interested in something else instead of the road. On the other hand, I actually also get annoyed at all that are trying to pull out in front of me and people that are turning crossing the street as they always have to pull little bit and little bit more until they finally can close a lane and come over that way instead of just stand still and wait until the road is clear.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you saying he is lying? 
Pretty straightforward to me. 
Dhedhis fault, reckless.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, that video is showing the Thai driver just not looking and driving far to close to the car pulling out very very slow, leaving much room and time for adjusting instead of just continue straight. The Thai driver was probably more interested in something else instead of the road.

Blaming the Thai?????

gee. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Blaming the Thai?????

gee. 

When you take part of my comment out of context, it looks like you want it to look to be able to change what I really posted.

Now go back and read it all, and you will understand that I saw it same negative on both sides. Or you might not, but most people would.

18 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Dhedhis fault, reckless.

No nothing in what Richard posted was about lying. He just asked for a statement from both sides.

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No...   Read again, try harder.

Dhedhis fault, reckless.

Are you suggesting the Thai Gentleman is not lying ?

.. See what I did there ? (Rhetorical - given your recent posting history I don't expect you have).

Dhedhis fault, reckless.

After watching the video - I'm in agreement...  (thx to KhunBENQ for sourcing the vid - a lot of potential debate without that)...

I'd initially thought speed may be involved to flip a car, but not so, seems the 'flip' was more to do with 'wheel climb' rather than flipping from the impact... 

So... Thai fella clearly not speeding, but he was rather close to the left side, far closer than I'd be comfortable driving - I been in plenty of vehicles which are passing too close (left side) to other vehicles and I cringe each time imagining someone swinging the door open....  

The American pulled out without using his mirrors - 100% the Americans fault, no matter how close the Thai was when passing him.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, that video is showing the Thai driver just not looking and driving far to close to the car pulling out very very slow, leaving much room and time for adjusting instead of just continue straight. The Thai driver was probably more interested in something else instead of the road.

Blaming the Thai

Why are you blaming the Thai, he looked innocent - See what I did there ??... 

Taking 'only' part of the comment to suit an agenda.... 

BTW: I agree with you MalcomB - the Thai is not at fault here BTW - but I wanted to highlight how your misquote destroys context, as did mine.

I remember my very first driving lesson (50+ years ago). Pulling away from the parked position and joining the traffic: Mirror, signal, shoulder check, maneuver.

But, in all honesty, I'll admit to a making few mistakes in those 50+ years. Thankfully, just close misses and nothing worse a couple of angry honks!

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

File photo for reference only

I am always confused about those pictures for reference only. What's the point?

It's obviously not a picture of the actual event. Luckily someone added a video later.

It seems to me that the above picture is just to confuse everybody. I think most of us will be able to imagine two crashed cars without a random picture. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think many of us would be at a language disadvantage in such an incident, never mind the xenophobia. 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd initially thought speed may be involved to flip a car

You're not incorrect. The amount of momentum required to flip the heavy black car comes from speed, not wheel rotation. Momentum is mass times speed.

Regardless, both parties are irresponsible for careless driving.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

You're not incorrect. The amount of momentum required to flip the heavy black car comes from speed, not wheel rotation. Momentum is mass times speed.

Regardless, both parties are irresponsible for careless driving.

The Honda Jazz didn't appear to be speeding or travelling recklessly quick - however, it was clearly too close to the left hand-side of the road. 

Given the position of the wheels on the Jazz it looks like a combination of impact and the 'wheel walking' up the side of the silver car which cause the Jazz to flip so easily. 

My Wife managed the same thing in an A-Class Merc at less than 10kmh... she'd just slowly turned into a very narrow soi and had to swerve to avoid a motorcycle, clipping another vehicle and 'tipping her car on its side'... we could see the 'tyre marks' on the side of the car she'd clipped. 

I'm curious about the American's travel history.  It took me several months of riding in taxis to get the confidence to drive in Thailand, and another month of actual driving on the wrong side of the road to feel safe.  Not to mention the huge difference in driving styles between LOS and the nanny state. 

Back home, simply having to take evasive action to avoid a traffic violator would be significant.  I could go months when I didn't have to swerve or brake.  In LOS, defensive driving is just the way it is. All the time.

IMO, neither one is better.  But very different, for sure.  Requiring some adjustments to local habits. (And looking at the wrong rearview mirror)

15 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Dhedhis fault, reckless.

I had a Thai woman aggressively pull out to do an u-turn in front of me and then hit me from the far left lane when I passed. 

She lied and said the incident was my fault. 

Luckily, video evidence from both vehicles supported my version of events and her insurance paid out.

Thai will regular open the door regardless of passing traffic or just pull out. which are reasons to always give seemingly "parked" cars a wide berth when possible. 

This instance is however clearly the American guy's fault for making an unsafe manoeuvre.

On 6/17/2024 at 4:38 PM, snoop1130 said:

was driven by 43-year-old Mr. Mohammed Amir Dhedhi, an American visiting the country.

Defiantly his fault, it also appears he pulled out without signaling.