Indian tourist's holiday horror: Robbed, assaulted in Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Is it me or does it seem like a disproportionate number of crimes that happen in Thailand, seem to happen in Pattaya? And the same seems to apply to crimes committed against tourists.

It's terrible to be subjected to something like this, but the crime rates against foreigners committed in Thailand are still very, very low. However each and every crime seems to attract a lot of attention

Agreed. In over 50 years I've never even felt threatened in Thailand, let alone attacked. However I have been mugged twice in metro Manila, and once in South London.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Excogitator said:

If it's not Phuket, then it's Pattaya. People with ill intentions seem to gravitate towards the two...

Any particular reason why?

Let's just say I don't think many of the tourists that are attacked go there for the beaches.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"Robbed............Assaulted................Pattaya"

All too familiar (almost daily on AseanNow) a story for this "family friendly" resort.

The only thing missing is "ladyboy" or "transgender person".

Don´t worry. The day is not over yet 😉 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Bookings by Indian tourists surged by 60% between 2022 and last year, according to Airbnb data. Searches for accommodations in Thailand by Indian tourists increased by over 200% during major holidays, such as the Holi Festival and Easter this year.

60% is a huge number.  Timing correlates to legalizing weed.  I wonder what it'll do when they re-criminalize weed.  Could be bad news for TAT.

Another crime last night

I wanted to create a new topic, but the forum selection not working.

Last night I was robbed of wallet and phone on a songthaw in soi Buakhow.  Four ladies joined me at the terminus near Pattaya Tai, all wearing surgical masks. Two sat opposite, two either side.  I got off opposite Witherspoons by the market, and after a few minutes realised my phone and wallet were missing.  From patch pockets under the main pockets on my shorts.  One of the opposite ladies was attractive, both were young, so no doubt distracted me.  The nearest one on my side spoke just once, asking where I was going.  She had a deep voice so may have been a ladyboy.  The lesson is to keep away from people wearing masks, especially in groups.  And don't carry valuables in patch pockets.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JimboJ said:

Another crime last night

Last night I was robbed of wallet and phone on a songthaw in soi Buakhow.  Four ladies joined me at the terminus near Pattaya Tai, all wearing surgical masks. Two sat opposite, two either side.  I got off opposite Witherspoons by the market, and after a few minutes realised my phone and wallet were missing.  From patch pockets under the main pockets on my shorts.  One of the opposite ladies was attractive, both were young, so no doubt distracted me.  The nearest one on my side spoke just once, asking where I was going.  She had a deep voice so may have been a ladyboy.  The lesson is to keep away from people wearing masks, especially in groups.  And don't carry valuables in patch pockets.

It sounds like they were very skillful.

I can feel my cellphone in my pocket when it slightly vibrates when it receives a notification. Someone's hand in my pocket removing a cellphone would be very noticeable.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

White Rose Hotel

Interesting,they usually don't identify the business where the crimes/suicides take place.

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Any  phone can be locked now $50 not worth the hassle.A loas visa costs $40 at the border. I thought it may nave being another gold chain theft.dissappointed

You aren't as disappointed as the robbers when they tried to divvy-up their loot!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Is it me or does it seem like a disproportionate number of crimes that happen in Thailand, seem to happen in Pattaya? And the same seems to apply to crimes committed against tourists.

It's terrible to be subjected to something like this, but the crime rates against foreigners committed in Thailand are still very, very low. However each and every crime seems to attract a lot of attention

Pattaya does have the highest crime index for all Thailand cities, but overall the country is classed as low crime. Where it excels is in corruption and bribery. 

• Agree 1

I have empathy for the Indians sometimes.. I was waiting to enter one of my favorite "Clubs" on Walking Street a few months ago. There were three Indians waiting in front of me. The security/doorman told the three Indians that this was a private membership club and they couldn't enter. They left and he opened to door for me without mentioning "membership". 

• Sad 1

This is my post. The two above were the same, but when I clicked on the SEND button, nothing happened. So, I sent them again and then again. This has happened to me before, but only on this site. I don't know what is wrong and if it is a problem with my browser, my network, or AseanNow. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

And, now, my post...

This is, of course, inexcusable, and I hope the perpetrators are caught and convicted.

However, this also just reinforces the questions: "Why would anyone want to go to Pattaya in the first place?" And, "If you do go to  Pattaya, why would you be out on the streets in the "early morning hours"? Aren't there places in your own home country that you wouldn't go to and certainly not walk down the streets alone at 2 a.m.? There are plenty of those types of places in my home country (USA). 

Edited by WDSmart

38 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

I have empathy for the Indians sometimes.. I was waiting to enter one of my favorite "Clubs" on Walking Street a few months ago. There were three Indians waiting in front of me. The security/doorman told the three Indians that this was a private membership club and they couldn't enter. They left and he opened to door for me without mentioning "membership". 

I wouldn't have entered then - and I'm not Indian. I'm a Caucasian. 

17 hours ago, Excogitator said:

If it's not Phuket, then it's Pattaya. People with ill intentions seem to gravitate towards the two...

Any particular reason why?

Uhhh, tourists with money?

14 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

This is my post. The two above were the same, but when I clicked on the SEND button, nothing happened. So, I sent them again and then again. This has happened to me before, but only on this site. I don't know what is wrong and if it is a problem with my browser, my network, or AseanNow. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

And, now, my post...

This is, of course, inexcusable, and I hope the perpetrators are caught and convicted.

However, this also just reinforces the questions: "Why would anyone want to go to Pattaya in the first place?" And, "If you do go to  Pattaya, why would you be out on the streets in the "early morning hours"? Aren't there places in your own home country that you wouldn't go to and certainly not walk down the streets alone at 2 a.m.? There are plenty of those types of places in my home country (USA). 

"Why would anyone want to go to Pattaya in the first place?"

Cuz Pattaya is a fun place.

13 hours ago, JimboJ said:

Another crime last night

Not trying to troll you, serious question.

Were you drunk or high?

Seems like that is often a factor.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

"Why would anyone want to go to Pattaya in the first place?"

Cuz Pattaya is a fun place.

I see a lot of forums describing the chaos and dangers of Pattaya, but none of them say it is a "fun place." 

1 minute ago, WDSmart said:

I see a lot of forums describing the chaos and dangers of Pattaya, but none of them say it is a "fun place." 

So are you saying you have never been to Pattaya?

5 minutes ago, cdemundo said:
7 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

So are you saying you have never been to Pattaya?

Yes, I've lived in Thailand for over 20 years, and I've never been to  Pattaya and have never wanted to go there. It's reputation is not something that appeals to me.

1 hour ago, Expat Tom said:

Did they have on so much cologne as to be flammable?

Could have been a safety issue.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Expat Tom said:

If they were to enter and spend money liberally, it might well be you being turned away. 

Crime is increasing most everywhere in one form or another. The population rises, more people are poor, more crime happens. The only thing that can be done is stricter enforcement and punishment for crimes, especially the violent ones. Most crime usually happens in large cities, especially ,like this one, tourist areas, because they know tourists carry cash. In the country, it's usually locals against locals, domestic violence at the top, with thefts happening all the time. This is a poor country, and theft will increase the harder times become.

I live near Cambodia, out in the country almost 30 kilos from the nearest cities, and the only thing that happens here is men beating their wives, girlfriends or kids, or people stealing things from other's farms and houses.

Protecting yourself any way you can helps. Carrying something that's legal, that can be used as a deterrent can help, unless of course you're confronted by someone with a gun.Then it's just best to give them anything they ask for, meaning money, phones etc, as your life is more precious than things which can be replaced. A good idea is not to bring your primary phone with you while walking around in seedy areas at night, instead buying a basic phone you can use for emergencies. No gold anything, nor any more cash than you'll need for that evening. Not making yourself out to be a victim helps. Not flashing cash, knowing there are eyes on you all the time, and staying in groups. Predators are cowards, preferring to travel in groups or carrying the usual knives, machetes or guns.

There are those here that have stated they've lived here for 30 years and never have had any trouble, and walking around late at night. They are very lucky, especially if they live in and around big cities, and the next time could be their last. Absent fathers abound here, and with that comes lack of respect for others and their property, as those things are taught first at home. Boys get around others of like mind and think they can do whatever they want, especially seeing the lack of enforcement and punishment has been so low.  I fear nothing or no one, but would not walk around any city at night by myself unless I was armed, neither here, in NYC or London. Times are getting tougher, and crime will increase, just because of that fact.

Edited by fredwiggy

3 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

So tourists in places like Bangkok and Samui don't have money?

Different question. You asked:

"If it's not Phuket, then it's Pattaya. People with ill intentions seem to gravitate towards the two...

Any particular reason why?"

To even formulate your question about Bangkok and Samui would require a lot of thinking and fact finding.

Apparently you are implying first and foremost that Bangkok and Samui don't have their share of bad actors.

I don't know if that is true.

Anyway, I think my answer to your question stands.