Dog Attacks Whilst Biking.

Richb2004v2

Abandoned dogs are a problem ?? Agreed

Packs of dogs are a danger ?? Agreed

I like dogs too, but if you need to defend yourself, a water pistol filled with bleach works great. Was taught this trick by my Father while a small boy with a paper route. 40 pound dog versus 40 pound kid packing 10 pounds of newsprint.

Want to use it - No

Cruel ?? CYA

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about dogs.

They are a non-nomadic pack animal, in remote locations they are on the verge of becoming feral..... a lone stranger entering their territory will always be treated the same way, lots of gesturing accompanied with loud barking, they are sussing you out as an unknown quantity, throwing rocks or sticks may alleviate the situation temporarily but if you take that action once, you will have to do it every time.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true... I like dogs and don't go out of my way to hurt them, but I am not willing to accept having them snapping at my feet when I ride my bike.

There are three dogs on my soi that when I first moved here used to bark and run at me every time I went up the soi. My solution was to fit a small bag on my bike handlebars, with good sized rocks in it so that every time I went down the soi I could grab one in my hand. I then rode slowly and chucked it at any dog that had a go at me (I also kept rocks in my motorbike basket and did the same with them).

Actually, I have only hit two of the dogs with good hard throws (once each), but all three dogs now run off the road with their tails between the legs as soon as I turn onto the soi. The funny thing is that they do it whether I am on my motorbike or bicycle, and it really is as soon as I enter the soi, perhaps 50m away from them! It's quite comical to see them trying desperately to squeeze between their gate bars with their tales between their legs... JOB DONE

I didn't really hurt them, but the hunted definitely became the hunter... I now keep my handlebar bag topped up with rocks and fear no dogs on my rides out. cool.gif

Staring them down: well, it works when you are convinced of your superiority. If you are feeble-minded, the dogs will probably sense it and attack.

Another piece of advice if you have no stones: just pretend to pick some up. That has always worked with me.

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

Dogs don't speak Thai, they like all animals use telepathy, which means which ever language you use if the dog is tuned to you, he will get it.

:ermm::blink: Come again.

They are a non-nomadic pack animal, in remote locations they are on the verge of becoming feral..... a lone stranger entering their territory will always be treated the same way, lots of gesturing accompanied with loud barking, they are sussing you out as an unknown quantity, throwing rocks or sticks may alleviate the situation temporarily but if you take that action once, you will have to do it every time.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true... I like dogs and don't go out of my way to hurt them, but I am not willing to accept having them snapping at my feet when I ride my bike.

There are three dogs on my soi that when I first moved here used to bark and run at me every time I went up the soi. My solution was to fit a small bag on my bike handlebars, with good sized rocks in it so that every time I went down the soi I could grab one in my hand. I then rode slowly and chucked it at any dog that had a go at me (I also kept rocks in my motorbike basket and did the same with them).

Actually, I have only hit two of the dogs with good hard throws (once each), but all three dogs now run off the road with their tails between the legs as soon as I turn onto the soi. The funny thing is that they do it whether I am on my motorbike or bicycle, and it really is as soon as I enter the soi, perhaps 50m away from them! It's quite comical to see them trying desperately to squeeze between their gate bars with their tales between their legs... JOB DONE

I didn't really hurt them, but the hunted definitely became the hunter... I now keep my handlebar bag topped up with rocks and fear no dogs on my rides out. cool.gif

we've found it. a dog-buster!!!!!:D

it's extremely rare to find a trained dog here in thailand. Most owners would let their dogs run around unleased. Usually those that are leashed are because the owners fear the dog running away. In fairness, i have come across responsible owners with trained dogs too but that is truly a needle in a haystack.

Soi dogs are no different from strays. They are just there cos they decided to make that particular soi their territory. Some have "owner" but usually the owners don't give a hoot.

What you have experienced on your ride are territorial dogs. Their barking are indication that you are entering their territory and a warning. In this scenerio if you insists on passing, it's best to get off your bike and place it between you and the dogs while pushing it past the dogs. It's not admitting defeat but just like showing courtesy cos you're in their territory.

Most important thing when confronted with an aggressive dog is never stare and if the dog's heckles are raised, be prepared for a fight.

I went out on my mountain bike the other day, with the intention of reaching a hill/ small mountain that I can see in the distance from my house. I had no idea how to reach it so just peddled in the general direction. As I got very near the hill I rounded a corner on a very small tarmaced track to be confronted by a group of about six dogs 50 feet in the distance. All the dogs were the same breed and looked fairly formidable. I stopped my bike and had a bit of a stare down assessment. The dogs were barking and looked like they were contemplating a rush. My first thoughts were to give the rest of my outing a miss, but I really wanted to at least try to reach the hill, so decided to proceed. I couldn’t find any stones so hurled a couple of sticks in the direction of the dogs. This seemed to do the trick and cleared them off the track. I put another stick in my right throwing hand and set off. As I got level with where they had disappeared a couple of them rushed out. In the shock I hit my brake; unfortunately it was my front brake. I went over the handlebars and hit the road. This must have given the rest of the dogs a confidence boost as they all ran out barking. There was actually about a dozen or more in total. Luckily I managed to get back on the bike quickly and made good with a throw of the stick. In the temporary reprieve I peddled like hel_l away and up the hel_l.

I was really annoyed that someone could have so many obviously unfriendly dogs running free and able to effectively block the road. I don’t know what the actual chances of the dogs attacking me might be but they got quite close. The house was in a fairly isolated location near the woods and with quite a big garden, but I don’t see that as enough reason.

Riding my bike recently I have encountered this problem several times, but not with so many dogs in one small road.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

To these nasty dogs? Nope , I definitely ain't.

Can say that i hit many of 'em kinda self defense. I don't hate dogs. I meself is a Veg. I find it hard to discover that dog's meat is in a menu served in VN(boiled or BBQ). have seen that menu by meself. Guess each one 'o us has own technique(s) to deal with dogs, aggressive, non-aggressive. Most of dogs try to make 'emself look fearsome then they are. Gotta experience it....though

I hate dogs. I hate Thai dogs more. I think people who have 5 or 10 dogs and let them wander around molesting people (even mildly, like barking or chasing) should be locked up for ruining the environment in which the rest of us have to live .

I would try to kill any dog that menaced me, but I'm really not sure how successful I would be, being a bit squeamish and never carrying anything more lethal than a cell phone and a pack of chewing gum....

Dogs with rabies won't play dog whisperer games and so your valiant stares and all the rest will just increase your chances of a painful bite and a ghastly disease.

Did I say I hate dogs?

Well, I ate dog in Vietnam. Quite good actually and felt I was getting my own back for all those toddlers who've lost their faces or lives from dog attacks, while the owners express incredulity: "he wouldn't hurt a fly!"

Good for you. Dogs are pretty harmless, unlike people, and you are far more likely to get a disease from a person than a dog.

Dogs are also loyal companions that love you regardless of your faults - which is why I generally want nothing to do with people that don't like animals.

Animals (especially dogs) are GENUINE, unlike people. What's not to like?

Yeah I love dogs too, I love most the way they run into the road causing accidents, the way they shit everywhere, I love the articles in the papers when they have attacked as a pack and killed someone but most of all I LOVE the irresponsible owners of dogs stanidng up for their ridiculous comments on how F*kking wonderful dogs are. Dogs wandering around freely are nothing but a menace there is no defence all should be exterminated period. If you own a dog it should be kept in a yard unable to get out unless on a lead .

How about putting a sack full of dog biscuits on your bike instead of rocks? I love dogs, but nothing is more horrible than a child being mauled by one. Yes, I do agree on your last point: if you own a dog take responsibility for it and keep it securely on your property.

Rich, I had the exact same thing last week - I was out with my son, and about ten of these gits attacked me, luckily my son got past them, I too hit the front brake (discs) and ended up on my arse.

I was trying desperately to kick their heads in but it does seem a bit difficult with flip flops on.

A few locals came out and tried to restrain the dogs and calm me down as I was "kicking off"

I thought about driving back around the same route with some "doctored" Luk Cheen, but it might not be the cleverest thing to do. (But it would at least bring a bit of satisfaction)

The other thing I was looking at was some of that 1/2" plastic blue pipe - maybe a 3 foot length with a piece of wood stuck in the end and a 6" nail stuck into that, then you could stab the <deleted> quite easily as you ride by - like a harpoon without the barbs!

You would need to find some sort of clip to fit it to your bike for ease of carry and ease of deployment - A catapult is quite effective, but not easy to use whilst pedalling - I hate these bastard dogs - I would if I could get away with it simply blast them with my 12 gauge!

My sympathies!

I was thinking about a BB gun, which would be easy to carry. I don't know if a BB gun fires very far or how powerful. I mean I don't want to injure them or anything. The problem with that is that someone might thing I had a real gun, or that I was trying to shoot the dogs. In other countries it might be a good idea, but here I might end up getting shot.

The BB guns here are not strong enough - and the laws are a bit vague - I would not risk it being a foreigner here - like I say, a 3 foot piece of plastic pipe, jam a piece of wood in the end and then stick a 6" nail in it - harpoon the bastards!

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

You may find this surprising, dogs don't speak Thai, neither do they speak English.

If the dog in question has not been raised and trained by you the only word that it will usually recognise is its name, most times you won't know that.

Any short sharp word uttered with an inference of command will work in most situations.

For the bike rider...... when the dog came at you, did you just carry on peddling, or did you flail at it with one leg? (I'm guessing the latter)

If you just carry on going out of it's territory most dogs are just noise makers, offering one a tasty limb is usually a sure fire way of getting bitten. (please take note of the use of the words most and usually, the alternative word in all other situations being unlucky)

That is good advice, 9 times out of 10 they just bark - and flaying at them with one leg from a moving bike must seem like a Great Game to a dog - however - there is always the 10% that want to really have a go! (I had some advice to squirt them with a can of Chaindrite - apparently it burns their eyes in quite a good way.

I was walking my dog in the Moo Baan park the other day and a lady opened her gate and her two dogs attacked my little Dauchsound . My dog was on a leash I was able to get her up in my arms before the second bite which almost got me . I ran my dog home and got my wife becasue my Thai is not very good. The lady said it was my fault, her dog was only trying to sniff mine . Bull crap the husband understood when I said it wont happen again . I have a four foot bamboo stick I carry now and have not seen the dogs outside there gated yard .... Other dogs if they get close I just tap the stick on the ground and they run . Pissed me off... dogs ok she took 6 stitches . I dont worry too much about soi dogs most of the ones that are loose have been broke from biting or are buried in someones yard .. But not always the case I assume .

Staring them down: well, it works when you are convinced of your superiority. If you are feeble-minded, the dogs will probably sense it and attack.

Another piece of advice if you have no stones: just pretend to pick some up. That has always worked with me.

Dogs don't speak Thai, they like all animals use telepathy, which means which ever language you use if the dog is tuned to you, he will get it.

:ermm::blink: Come again.

For further explanation about how animals use telepathy, please refer to the work of the English biologist Ruppert Sheldrake http://www.sheldrake.org/homepage.html

we've found it. a dog-buster!!!!!:D

Who you gonna call? laugh.gif

from BKK post

Mana Thetrit, 51, who died on Saturday after his golden retriever dog attacked him.

yeah we should kill all the dogs, dogs are bad.

and also all the sharks because they kill humans too, and all the other animals on the planet.

erm ....wait ! We are already doing it !jap.gif

I hate dogs. I hate Thai dogs more. I think people who have 5 or 10 dogs and let them wander around molesting people (even mildly, like barking or chasing) should be locked up for ruining the environment in which the rest of us have to live .

I would try to kill any dog that menaced me, but I'm really not sure how successful I would be, being a bit squeamish and never carrying anything more lethal than a cell phone and a pack of chewing gum....

Dogs with rabies won't play dog whisperer games and so your valiant stares and all the rest will just increase your chances of a painful bite and a ghastly disease.

Did I say I hate dogs?

Well, I ate dog in Vietnam. Quite good actually and felt I was getting my own back for all those toddlers who've lost their faces or lives from dog attacks, while the owners express incredulity: "he wouldn't hurt a fly!"

Good for you. Dogs are pretty harmless, unlike people, and you are far more likely to get a disease from a person than a dog.

Dogs are also loyal companions that love you regardless of your faults - which is why I generally want nothing to do with people that don't like animals.

Animals (especially dogs) are GENUINE, unlike people. What's not to like?

Yeah I love dogs too, I love most the way they run into the road causing accidents, the way they shit everywhere, I love the articles in the papers when they have attacked as a pack and killed someone but most of all I LOVE the irresponsible owners of dogs stanidng up for their ridiculous comments on how F*kking wonderful dogs are. Dogs wandering around freely are nothing but a menace there is no defence all should be exterminated period. If you own a dog it should be kept in a yard unable to get out unless on a lead .

I agree that dogs running out into the road are a problem, but they die pretty quickly - only the 'road savvy' survive.

How many people in Thailand have been killed by a 'soi dog' pack? I look forward to learning your evidence.

As I keep repeating (ad-nauseum), if YOU stop, the dog(s) stop too. It is v rare for them to be interested in anything other than the chase.

As I also said before, I was bitten by a (Golden Retriever type) dog owned by a Thai, whilst standing in front of my dogs on leads. I understand why it happened, one of my dogs was barking madly so the Thai's dog attacked ME to get past me and at my dog....

Standing my ground and more suprised than anything else - the dog backed away until the Thai owner found himself a stick to chase his dog away.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now realise I should have moved forward with my dogs instead of standing still...

In all likelihood the replies are right; in that it is all bluff and the Klingon death stare might work. However, when you're on your own in the middle of nowhere and there are getting on for a dozen dogs its best not to take the chance. I would hate to end up on my back with several dogs biting down thinking '###### it! Those Thai Visa bods said the stare down was enough!!' :o

We only get packs in the near park and they never seem to be a threat I have only had trouble with single shit machine soi dogs on my bicycle, on my scooter they don't seem to notice, it's got to be be the feet moving around and around that attracts them, anyway I don't waste time staring at them, dogs remember by association once they have tasted the association of my 7 iron I carry on my bicycle, they don't bother me anymore.

I know this is an old topic, but I am going to add my 27 Baht's worth.

I run between 5 and 10 kilometers per day, 4 - 6 days per week, all on open semi rural roads. The biggest hazard, by far, is dogs. Not getting bitten by one, if they start getting aggressive with you, you just snarl, or make a sudden move in their direction and they usually retreat.

They are dangerous when they run out on the road and a passing car swerves to avoid the animal, forgetting about the jogger, or bike rider on the shoulder of the road. I have almost been under this exact scenario, and after the first time, anytime I see a dog rushing onto the road, the first thing i do is check for traffic.

I run between 5 and 10 kilometers per day, 4 - 6 days per week, all on open semi rural roads. The biggest hazard, by far, is dogs. Not getting bitten by one, if they start getting aggressive with you, you just snarl, or make a sudden move in their direction and they usually retreat.

They are dangerous when they run out on the road and a passing car swerves to avoid the animal, forgetting about the jogger, or bike rider on the shoulder of the road. I have almost been under this exact scenario, and after the first time, anytime I see a dog rushing onto the road, the first thing i do is check for traffic.

Very good point, Soundman. Stray dogs are FAR more dangerous by getting hit by motorbikes and the rider getting hurt in the accident. I ran over a dog about 3 months ago on my big bike and it was only by luck that I didn't go down. Unfortunately, I broke the dog's back and I had to kill it to put it out of its misery. That was NOT a pleasant experience, but had to be done as quickly as possible.

Very good point, Soundman. Stray dogs are FAR more dangerous by getting hit by motorbikes and the rider getting hurt in the accident. I ran over a dog about 3 months ago on my big bike and it was only by luck that I didn't go down. Unfortunately, I broke the dog's back and I had to kill it to put it out of its misery. That was NOT a pleasant experience, but had to be done as quickly as possible.

It happens occasionally, but soi dogs are normally killed by cars.

I travel pretty fast on my motorbike as I love the speed and feeling of freedom - but am always keeping an eye ahead for dogs, idiots about to turn etc. etc.

At the end of the day I know that if something happens in front of me, I'M the one that is going to be hurt.....If only all motorists were paying the same attention.

So far, so good.

I travel pretty fast on my motorbike as I love the speed and feeling of freedom - but am always keeping an eye ahead for dogs, idiots about to turn etc. etc.

At the end of the day I know that if something happens in front of me, I'M the one that is going to be hurt.....If only all motorists were paying the same attention.

So far, so good.

Good for you, and advanced riding technique can be found on the net so read and learn more, know what there is to to know on a motorbike/scooter/moped whatever.:)

So far, so good.

Good for you, and advanced riding technique can be found on the net so read and learn more, know what there is to to know on a motorbike/scooter/moped whatever.:)

40 years ago in the UK you would not believe what l had to do to pass the heavy goods vehicle test. :)

40 years ago in the UK you would not believe what l had to do to pass the heavy goods vehicle test. :)

When I was 24yr old I was working for a UK waste disposal company and got a HGV license for driving 38 ton bulkers without taking a test, bit like Thailand Ahh !! :lol: :lol:

Edited by Kwasaki