KRUNGTHAI BANK - use of NEXT mobile banking from outside Thailand

When Khrung Thai bank had internet access to personal accounts accessi was easy from almost anywhere in the world.

Now, it appears, they and most other Thai banks have switched to 'mobile banking' via a application which, for KTB, is named NEXT.

I need to enable access a personal KTB account from the UK and assume that I will need to do this when in Thailand. I shall be arriving next week for a month so will be able to visit my user Branch.

Just how customers with imperfect vision are supposed to manage an account from a tiny phone screen is beyond me but I guess I am stuck with it.

I should be grateful if someone would lay out the steps required to 'set up' the Next access using an Android device. I understand that a basic requirement is to have a SIMM registered in my name. Presumably that would require Contract post-paid account with the provider. That would provide a Thailand telephone number. Once obtained,  registered with the bank, and NEXT set-up how would one access the account from outside Thailand assuming OTP is required? Since it is Telephone connected 5G/4G and not Internet it's all a mystery to me.

As long as your Thai mobile number is valid you will receive the OTP when outside of Thailand free of charge. You use WiFi  or phone data to run the Next app. Still works fine for me outside of Thailand after nearly 2 years abroad. A pair of magnified reading glasses should help read the screen of a phone. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I understand that a basic requirement is to have a SIMM registered in my name.

Doesn't matter, it should be a Thai sim and registered/updated against your Krungthai account.

As @Nemises said you can receive otp free of charge

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Presumably that would require Contract post-paid account with the provider.

No.  Prepaid is fine.  Your phone number is registered with your passport and the bank can match that if they so desire.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

would one access the account from outside Thailand assuming OTP is required?

If your bank is going to send OTP's then just turn on the Thai SIM in your phone.  My bank doesn't, and authorisation requests come through the app itself, no phone connection needed.

So the steps are simple, get a phone, get the app, try to set it up yourself (you will need to be in Thailand when you do it) and if you can't pop into the bank and they will do it for you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Upnotover said:

So the steps are simple, get a phone, get the app, try to set it up yourself (you will need to be in Thailand when you do it) and if you can't pop into the bank and they will do it for you.

And remember to turn off your VPN - should one be already on your phone. 

Thank you all for your comments.

Just to be clear, I would need to use the Thai SIMM set to Roaming to recieve the OTP?

The steps would be:

1.     Open the NEXT app on phone and log in.

2.     Expect OTP via Thai SIMM and enter into the app.

3.     Access the account.

So, in fact, transactions are Internet based not via phone signal?

On 6/23/2024 at 5:22 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Now, it appears, they and most other Thai banks have switched to 'mobile banking' via a application which, for KTB, is named NEXT.

Only KTB and SCB have ditched their internet banking services as far as I know. You may therefore wish to consider opening an account with 1 of the remaining banks which still offer an internet banking service during your upcoming trip to Thailand.