Thailand’s Premier Eyes Pattaya for Upcoming Formula One Race

webfact

On 6/23/2024 at 6:29 PM, Peterw42 said:

What makes it unsuitable ? Monaco and other street circuits are successful.

Because in this country traffic laws are a joke, it would take several policemen and a tire-destroyer at every possible entry on the route to keep other vehicles out. 

It's monkey-see monkey-do.  Kuala Lumpur has F1.  Hong Kong built a tennis stadium and nearly every week there is a "big tennis tournament,"  maybe that's a better idea for LOS.

Anyone who follows F1 will be aware of the list of "rich" countries attempting to join the circus - Thailand is a joke! As someone mentioned earlier, Vietnam almost got there with a very viable street circuit but it all went belly-up at the last minute due to politics and corruption.

Also, anyone who has visited Buriram will understand that they simply cannot host this kind of event - I tried back in February to arrange a trip to the bike Moto GP in October but there is VERY little accomodation around Buriram and it was all booked up. I did manage World Superbikes in 2019, but I was very lucky and one of the very few farangs there.

Edited by London Lowf

15 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Also, anyone who has visited Buriram will understand that they simply cannot host this kind of event - I tried back in February to arrange a trip to the bike Moto GP in October but there is VERY little accomodation around Buriram and it was all booked up. I did manage World Superbikes in 2019, but I was very lucky and one of the very few farangs there.

Yeah need to book well in advance.

Am lucky I have friends that own a small guest house... they keep a room open for me.

7 hours ago, CHdiver said:

With the bad state the roads in Pattaya are, I would advice to host a WRC event (World Rally Championship). But even then, I am not sure if the cars would survive the condition the roads are in. 

The other question is 

Does Thailand have the expertise and qualified manpower to build the road properly?

On 6/24/2024 at 4:29 AM, Peterw42 said:

What makes it unsuitable ? Monaco and other street circuits are successful.

Monaco is the most boring race with zero passing. Only thing they pass is air...

Never will a new track with same design get permission. Rightfully so.

It stupid to call it "Crown Jewel of F1".

Same with Long Beach Indy GP, totally boring follow-the-leader crash fest junk.

They started F1 races in mid '70s. I was there from '79 to '83. Racing was very good, even great, thanks to nimble, light and powerful cars. Today's cars are fat pigs... too wide, too heavy, too depended of aero effects.

They also don't sound good, like old na V8s, V10s, V12, flat 12s.

When Ferrari is testing near factory workers don't know if it a F1 car or UPS truck making deliveries... they both sound same. Sound is important!

There are good street races, like in Australia.

Canada F1 GP is also mostly on public streets and racing is good. Thanks to French heritage they also have the best track food! I was there once.

Now TV is best and after checking Miami and Las Vegas ticket prices - north of $ 500/3 day basic entry - I don't see ever going. Well, if Thailand or Vietnam happens, I'll go.

Thailand's problem is mostly political. Nobody seems to be in charge in anything.

Edited by GypsyT

21 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The other question is 

Does Thailand have the expertise and qualified manpower to build the road properly?

The Navy did a fair job with the Railway Line Bypass Rd when it was initially built... since then a number if contractors and drain projects have turned it into a teethj wrecker. 

On 6/30/2024 at 7:55 PM, kingstonkid said:

The other question is 

Of course it does. Thailand built a freaking Moto GP track which is just as difficult as an F1 track. 

53 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Of course it does. Thailand built a freaking Moto GP track which is just as difficult as an F1 track. 

That freaking MotoGP track holds FIM Grade A and FIA Grade 1 certification, it was built for both MotoGP and F1 !

• Agree 1