Manila vs Bangkok

42 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Mugged twice in Manila, never even remotely threatened in Bangkok. Also, the food in Manila is dire, and nowhere near as good as Bangkok/Thailand.

Omg ...where in Manila?

This is why last month May 20/21 I travelled and "patrolled" the Manila subway at night 

No problems at all 

But I guess you are taking about many years ago 

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

Omg ...where in Manila?

This is why last month May 20/21 I travelled and "patrolled" the Manila subway at night 

No problems at all 

But I guess you are taking about many years ago 

Almost everyone says Manila is a dump.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

It looks like a copy-and-paste article from somewhere else. I agree with most of it but some of it is a bit over the top, especially the story about the 280lb martial artist who is scared of Filipinos...  but what personal experience do you have in the Philippines? How much time have you spent there? Where did you live? There's no way you'd have that much knowledge of PI unless you spent much time there.

I have spent time there & cannot disagree with this synopsis....

I have a friend, a Marine Corp Master Sergeant that is half flip & half US....Also versed & teaches martial arts + built to match....The Marine Corps did not allow him to go to the PI. - they assessed it as being too dangerous.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I have a friend, a Marine Corp Master Sergeant that is half flip & half US....Also versed & teaches martial arts + built to match....The Marine Corps did not allow him to go to the PI. - they assessed it as being too dangerous.....

And here I was walking the Manila Subway at night !

I got off at a Railway station called Abad Santos , it's in the rougher type area

I was walking to change platforms when I saw 2 guys talking to the security guard ,both dark skin , tattooed rough looking guys muscle guys ,very bad looking faces 

I thought as there talking to the uniformed security guards it would be ok to pass them ,I ignored them as I walked past ,they said "hello Sir"

The first thing I thought of was their looks didn't match their voice😄they spoke very clear unlike street type talk 

They a followed me carrying a backpack onto the subway train.

They  approached me on the train , very friendly and showed their badges as railway transit police plain clothes unit 🤯👮‍♂️👮‍♂️

The way the spoke so intelligent not matching their looks ,clear and firm voices 

they were very friendly and I later saw them about 3 hours later at midnight travelling the subway back and forth 

They said to me so nice "Excuse me Sir there is no NEED for you to PATROL the subway as we are doing it !😄

Edited by georgegeorgia

14 minutes ago, susanlea said:

How was the food? 

It's all American franchises unless you go to the "lower class" areas where there is real Filipino street food 

The most famous is JOLLIBEES 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, susanlea said:

A guy who went to every country says Philipines is no 1.

I spent 6 years in Manila - loved it most of the time as I also am a certified open water scuba diver and the PI has 7000 islands with crystal clear water and lots of sea life and interesting dive spots (i.e. old war ships of every size) and lots of great golf courses (Thailand does too) , but, I also experience life in floods (18 named typhoons a year), earthquakes 8+ on the scale, volcano eruptions (pinatubo - 60 kms from Manila and it dropped up go 600 meters of volvanic dust in between mountains close by if anyone has experience Lahar (when volcanic dust mixes with rain water - you can only imagine what that is like pouring onto the base at Clark and surrounding area plus carrying boulders as big as houses destroying bridges and everything else in its path.  At least the temperatures are about the same but moving around the town today, I think that it may be easier in Bangkok.  Bars are bars, attractive hostesses the same but I didn't spend any time in those.  Cebu when I was there was much smaller, much less traffic, but other than that great.  I was last in Manila in 1994, Cebu 1988, so they could have changed entirely but when it came time  to retire, #1 was no cold weather!  I hate snow, so Thailand edged them out as I also planned to do no diving in Thailand but lots of golf which I did do while I lived in BKK.  Golf membership was great at first but then the owners decided to expand by buiilding a hotel for Korean/Japanese golfers and then I lost interest mostly except for other courses that were not as much fun.  Anyway.  Like I said, I didn't hang around the bars so no help there but one thing that also decided me on Thailand for retirement was the local food.  I love spicy Thai dishes and the local food in the PI didn't fit well with me.  If the Thai govt goes bonkers with the taxes/BRICS and  I am still breathing, the PI might become more attractive to me.  Good luck to all, and I have lived in Burma, VN, Japan and Jakarta and would opt for Thailand still as I like Asia.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

If he weighed a muscular 280lbs as mentioned in the "synopsis", he'd be far too slow to deal with a gang of Filipinos. That's far too heavy to be an effective street fighter. That's the weight of the biggest bodybuilders on stage.

Edited by JensenZ

14 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

If he weighed a muscular 280lbs as mentioned in the "synopsis", he'd be far too slow to deal with a gang of Filipinos. That's far too heavy to be an effective street fighter. That's the weight of the biggest bodybuilders on stage.

Brock Lesnar 265lbs. He wasn't the biggest fighter. A strong guy could pick up a 140lb guy and smash him against concrete. Eddie Hall fought 2 guys at once last week. Smashed them both. He is over 350lbs.

Edited by susanlea

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I would ask that a comparison between Manila🇵🇭 and Bangkok 🇹🇭is completed please !

Or you may complete Cebu vs Bangkok 

I did receive a Personal message saying I should of compared the Philippines foreigner city of Cebu  instead of Manila !

And you may do so ,Cebu City vs Bangkok OR

Manila City vs Bangkok city 

That's up to you as ametuer  data analysts and please there is no need to show your  qualifications we are all data analysts and information gatherers 

This is specific to this scenario and this is not me in this scenario 

•60yo to 70 yo retired farang single man 

Still relevant fit ,walking , financially ok 

Manila City vs Bangkok City 

Or Bangkok vs Cebu City 

Who has better gyms / fitness /recreation 

Financial aspects - cost of living

compared to each city ,rents ,food ,

Public transport is important 

Safety is important 

Medical care is important 

Cafes are important 

Good parks to walk 

Shopping malls 

Cost of food in supermarkets 

Easy access 

Pollution 

Nicer people?

Friendly government departments?

Redtape highest?

Easy footpath walking pedestrian friendly 

we as amateur academics, if we have the Government permission to call ourselves that!!

have the data analysis of web data analyst such as Numbeo

But....as a amateur social engineer I'm also looking beyond financial aspects and looking at other factors in comparison 

Many say Vietnam is cheaper to Retire ,and yes it maybe so ..BUT please look at other factors, healthcare , recreation , coffee ,gyms ,

Yes compare Manila to Bangkok in relation to the above scenario 

Financial,coffee etc 

Actually would have been nice to have an idea on what interests you then answering the questions would have been much easier While I was there, the medical facilities in Manila were international standards, cafes/restaurants are everywhere except if you go to 7000 of the other islands and then you might or might not find a restaurant - Cebu also has restaurants.  Pollution can be faced at different times but since many islands are remote, no pollution ever, I thought the people were great!  They even had a sign and office for "US statehood for the Philippines" not too far from the US Embassy.  I was an honorary member of the NBI (equivalent to US FBI) golf team so I never had any problems doing anything, going anywhere, but also being a member of the US embassy there/consulate in Cebu also afforded me easy times with officials.  I also am  a member of the PI forum and they are all consantly complaining about life there too...sometimes it is easy to forget which forum I am on.

BGC is the place in Manila.  everything is walkable until you need to go to P Burgos, which is only a 10 minute taxi ride if you leave after 8:30pm.  i always stay at the F1 Hotel.  two good restaurants for me are Agave (mexican) and Va Bene Pasta (Italian).  for lunch i enjoyed a salad place, SaladStop!, which has a bunch of different salads to offer or you can customize your own.  there is also a Shake Shack next to SaladStop.   another one is Brotzeit, a german place, nice outdoor seating - had a great pork loin there.   there are a bunch more restaurants in Burgos Circle (which is in BGC, not P Burgos), including another outlet of SaladStop!  the High Street Mall is a good place to walk around, Burgos Circle is at one end.  sometimes you spot some freelancers.

my first visit to MNL was in 2008 and i had real problems with the food selection.  i did find some decent offerings at the Green Belt Mall and that helped me survive.  but i found MNL to be pretty dire at that time.  a friend of mine lived in La Union, a couple hours north of Angeles and he bought a condo in BGC around 2012 or so.  that's when i got introduced to it.  it is the one place i'd consider living if i needed to depart Bangkok.  i like Saigon and Danang but couldn't live in either one.  i like Hong Kong but too expensive.  i go to BGC at least once a year.

my understanding is there is an immigration office in BGC also. 

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Brock Lesnar 265lbs. He wasn't the biggest fighter.

17 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Brock Lesnar 265lbs. He wasn't the biggest fighter.

Yes, that's the UFC limit for title fights. He didn't spend long in MMA with a 5-3 record, and he was fighting one other heavyweight, not a bunch of nimble-footed Filipinos coming at him from all directions.

Just now, JensenZ said:

Yes, that's the UFC limit for title fights. He didn't spend long in MMA with a 5-3 record, and he was fighting one other heavyweight, not a bunch of nimble-footed Filipinos coming at him from all directions.

Did you see Eddie Hall fighting those 2 small guys? Smashed them.

1 minute ago, buick said:

BGC is the place in Manila.  everything is walkable until you need to go to P Burgos, which is only a 10 minute taxi ride if you leave after 8:30pm.  i always stay at the F1 Hotel.  two good restaurants for me are Agave (mexican) and Va Bene Pasta (Italian).  for lunch i enjoyed a salad place, SaladStop!, which has a bunch of different salads to offer or you can customize your own.  there is also a Shake Shack next to SaladStop.   another one is Brotzeit, a german place, nice outdoor seating - had a great pork loin there.   there are a bunch more restaurants in Burgos Circle (which is in BGC, not P Burgos), including another outlet of SaladStop!  the High Street Mall is a good place to walk around, Burgos Circle is at one end.  sometimes you spot some freelancers.

my first visit to MNL was in 2008 and i had real problems with the food selection.  i did find some decent offerings at the Green Belt Mall and that helped me survive.  but i found MNL to be pretty dire at that time.  a friend of mine lived in La Union, a couple hours north of Angeles and he bought a condo in BGC around 2012 or so.  that's when i got introduced to it.  it is the one place i'd consider living if i needed to depart Bangkok.  i like Saigon and Danang but couldn't live in either one.  i like Hong Kong but too expensive.  i go to BGC at least once a year.

my understanding is there is an immigration office in BGC also. 

The big shopping malls have a huge selection of restaurants for every budget. Finding good quality Western-style food is not a problem, but it can be expensive; the same is not cheap in Thailand either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the Philippines, but I stay in Thailand. Why?  Internet, hospitals, roads - basically infrastructure. I have been to the Philippines 53 times - I would move there in a flash if the infrastructure were the same.

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Did you see Eddie Hall fighting those 2 small guys? Smashed them.

Yes, I watched that, but that's fighting with rules. Street fighting is different. Anything goes. Eddie Hall is one of the world's strongest men, which helps. We're talking over 400lbs at his peak.

Edited by JensenZ

Just now, JensenZ said:

Yes, I watched that, but that's fighting with rules. Street fighting is different. Anything goes.

5 on 1 almost nobody can win against the numbers. Best run.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Still 100 in Pattaya is some places, same quality as 300 places

The quality doesn't have much to do with price, but the skills of the massage therapist (PC for masseuse LOL).

There's a reason why they are cheap. They work very hard to convince you to pay for extras, which the girls keep. They can be very persuasive.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

The quality doesn't have much to do with price, but the skills of the massage therapist (PC for masseuse LOL).

There's a reason why they are cheap. They work very hard to convince you to pay for extras, which the girls keep. They can be very persuasive.

The cheapest ones in CM are in temples. No funny business. All out in open.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I like the Philippines, but I stay in Thailand. Why?  Internet, hospitals, roads - basically infrastructure. I have been to the Philippines 53 times - I would move there in a flash if the infrastructure were the same.

You bring up one good point - Internet. If you want a good Internet service, you have to be near a major city and it's going to cost you more than it does in Thailand for a similar speed with unlimited data.

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

The cheapest ones in CM are in temples. No funny business. All out in open.

Never tried one, but whenever I go for a 300 baht oil massage, and tell myself all I'm going to spend is 300 plus tip, I end up paying 1000 or more.🤣

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Problem with the 100 baht places is they tend to be busy and too much talking by ignorant customers

Edited by scubascuba3

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Problem with the 100 baht places is they tend to be busy and too much talking by ignorant customers

The customers in CM are mostly Thais at that price point.