Second Day Off Weed

14 minutes ago, bobbin said:

I've stumbled across a Canadian woman on YouTube with the handle "cannabanista"..

She brings that female "style" element.. lots of pretty stash boxes etc..

The one I watched yesterday was about "tolerance" breaks. She's a fan, saying for her it's a good approach.

In my opinion the OP  seems to be working hard to justify his break. Probably due to some of the pushback from some early responders.

I wouldn't bother with a tolerance break but I do control when I smoke. Mid-afternoon at the earliest, just before a nap. Then later in the evening to enjoy the buzz before sleep.. 😌

Makes sense and probably am trying to justify without knowing that is what I'm doing. I'll give it some thought. 

As for the woman you mentioned, she is enjoying the ritual as much as the high IMO. Not my personality type (fine wine type).  I respect this ritual but just isn't in me. Simpleton when it comes to drugs.

4 hours ago, stoner said:

probably down to your own personality and habits then. i have no problem getting motivated and i smoke daily. 

but good for you and congrats on quitting. treat it like smoking cigs. comes in 3's

3 hours

3 days

3 weeks

My empathy for you , especially spending all money over the years 

You must of spent thousands of dollar,still its your life ,who am I to judge someones life that uses substances to be stoned away from life ... absolutely none and you Sir are one of a kind ....thankyou for your service 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Not sure why you posted this, given that it takes time to assess the withdrawal effects of quitting, whether it be alcohol, cigarettes, pain killers, narcotics or weed. Just to say that in my experience weed is by far and away the least harmful of addictive sustances so don't be upset if you revert to partaking it.

15 hours ago, atpeace said:

Sure I'll be back using but it feels so good at the moment.  Anybody feel this way when taking a break? 

It got to be too routine and wasn't really providing any pleasure so I stopped.  It became nearly impossible to spend quality time in the evenings with my sober partner because I was in a veg state after 8pm.  Also doing more and my to do list is actually shrinking.  Filed my 2022 taxes!  Probably 2023 this week and might add a new exercise room to the home. I wonder why booze has no impact on my motivation while weed really slows me down.

It's good to live without any addiction. You'll make your life easier and more happier without booze and weed or any other drugs (tobacco/vaping). 🙏

• Confused 1

I used to be a very heavy smoker back in my younger days. Can't remember not having a smoke every day in my 20's and 30's (now mid 50's). Even used to leave half a J in the ashtray at night so I could finish that when I got home from work, whilst skinning another one.

Gave up then until Covid came along and I was stuck in the UK for around 18 months. At one point, we were only allowed out of the house for an hour a day for exercise (as I was on the very high risk category I did play by the rules for the most part). I started up again then. One small J per day whilst out walking which would alleviate the tedium.

Now, when I am back in the UK, I limit myself to 1 day per month. Go to a mate's house, slab of beer or cider, a good smoke and a day watching the footy and betting on the horses.

Funny enough, whilst in Thailand I don't smoke weed, save for 3 tokes on a J a couple of weeks back after about 10 beers. Very bad idea. Almost suffered a 'whitey' but just about dragged myself back from the abyss. 

I definitely feel better for my new limitations and certainly feel better healthwise and mentally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

2022 and 2023...niceBest not to be rushing in to anything.🤣

I know - pretty pathetic but I know I don't owe(big losses in 2020). Still a good idea to file because filing takes much longer because you usually have to send paper vs electronically filing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Not sure why you posted this, given that it takes time to assess the withdrawal effects of quitting, whether it be alcohol, cigarettes, pain killers, narcotics or weed. Just to say that in my experience weed is by far and away the least harmful of addictive sustances so don't be upset if you revert to partaking it.

Already stated I assumed I would.  I'm not a heavy user and just needed a pause.   When would have been a good time to post. It was not a dramatic post and simply a casual post.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ignore it said:

Yep it's pretty easy to stop.

Straightening out gets to be like getting high.

Best thing about it is that awesome immediate massive buzz on the first few tokes when break time is over.

and it takes a while to get back to where it is not so great. Basically why I decided to pause/quit.

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I get baked and ride my bike. Generally 50-70km, but I make sure to do 100km 3or 4 times a month 

That I could do if I had my bikes repaired.  Terrible accident(one of many) in 2016 and promised myself no more.  Talked to some cyclists yesterday and might take my bikes into a shop.    I do everything much slower when high so that might actually be a good thing. I was thinking indoor on Zwift would be fun also.  Hard objects seem to always seem to get in my path while at high speeds.  

2 hours ago, stoner said:

Ok.

20 years ago someone on  this forum use the "OK" response on me for the first time.  In the right context it is the perfect response.  The other party is clueless how to respond.  I was being a fool and it caused me to reflect.  GG isn't the type that reflects so it will accomplish nothing but maybe...

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, atpeace said:

Thanks for the input.

My situation is mor extreme than most.  I live in a beautiful part of the country with a great partner but it on the edge of nowhere Thailand.  It has been an interesting experience the last 4 years but easy to slip into an unhealthy mental state if I don't stay active physically and mentally.  I only used at night but I was motivationally challenged well into the next day.  My 5:30am runs are now at 11am in the heat which is stupid. A pleasant experience evolved into a punishment 🙂 

Sounds like your issue with the puff may be more down to where you live rather than the puff itself. If you live at the arse end of nowhere, perhaps boredom was playing a part.

On 6/24/2024 at 9:02 PM, atpeace said:

Sure I'll be back using but it feels so good at the moment.  Anybody feel this way when taking a break? 

It got to be too routine and wasn't really providing any pleasure so I stopped.  It became nearly impossible to spend quality time in the evenings with my sober partner because I was in a veg state after 8pm.  Also doing more and my to do list is actually shrinking.  Filed my 2022 taxes!  Probably 2023 this week and might add a new exercise room to the home. I wonder why booze has no impact on my motivation while weed really slows me down.

I'm a daily user and I recently took a break for a few weeks when I went to a country where it is dangerously illegal. No problem. For me it's part of a lifestyle and I use it when it's convenient. And it's not "the thing", but one of the things I enjoy. No problem, can do without it too. But it does enhance a lot of things in my life so why not. It also doesn't make me incapable of doing other things productively that I want to do like what you are referring to. I also don't use it all day. Only in the evenings. But if I felt like you then I would drop It. 

Also, the fact that you knocked a couple of things off your to-do list in the last couple of days has nothing to do with going off weed for a day. That momentum to get stuff done (like your taxes) started the day before you stopped smoking weed for 2 days. So you just carried that momentum a day forward to get some things done that day and now you're saying it's because you didn't smoke weed that day. No. You're fooling yourself if you believe that. If you said you went off it for 2 to 3 months and started a whole bunch of new and productive things then it would make more sense to attribute it to going off of weed.

Anyway, if you're tired of it then just stop it. No need to make excuses to yourself and then try and find some crowd-sourced positive reinforcement and moral support to justify your decision. Do it if you want and drop it if you don't. And if you really want to stop it, but feel you can't, then you will need to make more of an effort and possibly seek help. 

Also, booze is far more destructive. Better quit that too. Seriously. Alcohol causes cognitive damage over time. It's documented. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Keeps said:

I used to be a very heavy smoker back in my younger days. Can't remember not having a smoke every day in my 20's and 30's (now mid 50's). Even used to leave half a J in the ashtray at night so I could finish that when I got home from work, whilst skinning another one.

Gave up then until Covid came along and I was stuck in the UK for around 18 months. At one point, we were only allowed out of the house for an hour a day for exercise (as I was on the very high risk category I did play by the rules for the most part). I started up again then. One small J per day whilst out walking which would alleviate the tedium.

Now, when I am back in the UK, I limit myself to 1 day per month. Go to a mate's house, slab of beer or cider, a good smoke and a day watching the footy and betting on the horses.

Funny enough, whilst in Thailand I don't smoke weed, save for 3 tokes on a J a couple of weeks back after about 10 beers. Very bad idea. Almost suffered a 'whitey' but just about dragged myself back from the abyss. 

I definitely feel better for my new limitations and certainly feel better healthwise and mentally. 

Fark me. If I drank like that I would feel like total sheet all day. And you're saying getting off the weed fixed you? Wow, imagine how you would feel if you stopped being an alcoholic. Try stopping the booze. You'll probably feel like a million quid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

I guess I deserve a medal I am off weed for 76 years now :coffee1::coffee1::sorry:

That is great and assume you have lived a satisfying life so far.  Do you drink alcohol?  If so, is that better? I don't judge drug users whether it be alcohol or whatever. People make their own decisions and who am I to judge.  

IMO, Alcohol doesn't impact my motivation nor my awareness of my surroundings as much as weed does throughout the day.  If you drink all day, I guess that would also cause awareness issues but never been a daytime drinker.  Weed is healthier and provides a smoother high.  Rarely (I have never seen)do you see violent stoned people later at night.  Weed's mental issues creep up on you while alcohol isn't discreet.

I feel as if i offend weed smokers here when I mention "my" issues with it.  Has many benefits and some enjoy not being alert as they have stated above.  Some others are alert while high and just like the feeling.  I myself felt as if I was losing touch with the little things I do all day that are  really important to me.  This wasn't always the case but the last few months I really wasn't experiencing as much of the beauty around me each day. Might not be caused by something else but taking a break might help.  I'm fortunate to be where I am at in life and don't want to risk falling into the rut where I become judgmental and less satisfied.  Turbulence is a part of life but getting stuck in a valley for years on end like many here on Asean Now is not a life I want.

Long answer - 555. Hope you are enjoying your 76th.

9 hours ago, Keeps said:

Sounds like your issue with the puff may be more down to where you live rather than the puff itself. If you live at the arse end of nowhere, perhaps boredom was playing a part.

It is different but I think i enjoy life even more here than in cities. As stated previously, it isn't a really a being bored issue.   I feel more out of touch and motivated of late.  In the end, I have many options and can adjust if location is the issue.  We have other homes in cities.

I think I lack communication skills! Sorry, I was just making a casual post and was initially confused how people thought I was trashing weed users.  Not the case at all.  I'm taking a break to see if I start experiencing more of the things I find inconsequential the last few months.  Might be weed or just the cycle of life. 

9 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

I'm a daily user and I recently took a break for a few weeks when I went to a country where it is dangerously illegal. No problem. For me it's part of a lifestyle and I use it when it's convenient. And it's not "the thing", but one of the things I enjoy. No problem, can do without it too. But it does enhance a lot of things in my life so why not. It also doesn't make me incapable of doing other things productively that I want to do like what you are referring to. I also don't use it all day. Only in the evenings. But if I felt like you then I would drop It. 

Also, the fact that you knocked a couple of things off your to-do list in the last couple of days has nothing to do with going off weed for a day. That momentum to get stuff done (like your taxes) started the day before you stopped smoking weed for 2 days. So you just carried that momentum a day forward to get some things done that day and now you're saying it's because you didn't smoke weed that day. No. You're fooling yourself if you believe that. If you said you went off it for 2 to 3 months and started a whole bunch of new and productive things then it would make more sense to attribute it to going off of weed.

Anyway, if you're tired of it then just stop it. No need to make excuses to yourself and then try and find some crowd-sourced positive reinforcement and moral support to justify your decision. Do it if you want and drop it if you don't. And if you really want to stop it, but feel you can't, then you will need to make more of an effort and possibly seek help. 

Also, booze is far more destructive. Better quit that too. Seriously. Alcohol causes cognitive damage over time. It's documented. 

Sorry, but that was a strange post.  You know little about me and made some grand assumptions.  Hey - whatever floats your boat and I myself, in weird moments, do the same.

The first paragraph is good 🙂 but it seems like you became a  "know it all" in the preceding paragraphs.   

BTW, I'm not making excuses as you stated and just casually making an observation about my last few days.  Nothing deep or scientific and, to be honest,  you sound quite judgmental.  Probably wasn't your intention but reread your post.  I'm fine with weed and also OK with alcohol users.  I definately  don't feel the need to tell people what they should and shouldn't do.  Nor do I have a firm grasp why  habits change as you seem to know without a doubt.

Cool that you can be so productive but I am not. How did you go from that first paragraph that was pleasant to typing the rest? We aren't the same and that is OK?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, novacova said:

And so does thc which can also accelerate dementia. 

Yep, but hopefully better data will come out over the next decade.  Be ironic if THC ends up being just as bad.  My bet is that it isn't but who knows at this point.  Can't remember writing what you replied to.  Maybe my clarity hasn't improved the last few days 🙂 

My parents have lived an incredible life(85 yo) and they are alcoholics and so are most their friends.  Not day time drinkers( except during events) but they can put it down at night ( over the last 5 years the quantity has dropped but they get just as tipsy). It is odd how many attach drug use to a destructive unpleasant life as if it is a sure thing.  Irresponsible drug use is not good and if you can't at least draw a vague line that is rarely crossed over, it usually  ends poorly.

Edited by atpeace
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Keeps said:

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

It is different but I think i enjoy life even more here than in cities. As stated previously, it isn't a really a being bored issue.   I feel more out of touch and motivated of late.  In the end, I have many options and can adjust if location is the issue.  We have other homes in cities.

I think I lack communication skills! Sorry, I was just making a casual post and was initially confused how people thought I was trashing weed users.  Not the case at all.  I'm taking a break to see if I start experiencing more of the things I find inconsequential the last few months.  Might be weed or just the cycle of life. 

I didn't think for one moment that you were trashing weed users from your posts. Likewise, my post wasn't intended to aggravate in any way. More of a personal reflection of a situation I had myself a while back.

Good luck with your efforts to stay off the puff. As I previously posted, I do not partake whilst in Thailand (bar one small faux pas) and limit myself to once a month when back in my homeland. I certainly feel better for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

Fark me. If I drank like that I would feel like total sheet all day. And you're saying getting off the weed fixed you? Wow, imagine how you would feel if you stopped being an alcoholic. Try stopping the booze. You'll probably feel like a million quid. 

I drink twice per week when in Thailand and once per month when in my homeland. When I do go out I like a drink. 10 small bottles of beer spread over 6+ hours watching the football and cricket hardly makes me an alcoholic.

You seem to like judging others. Maybe an introspective look may be beneficial.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I didn't think for one moment that you were trashing weed users from your posts. Likewise, my post wasn't intended to aggravate in any way. More of a personal reflection of a situation I had myself a while back.

Good luck with your efforts to stay off the puff. As I previously posted, I do not partake whilst in Thailand (bar one small faux pas) and limit myself to once a month when back in my homeland. I certainly feel better for it.

I get you now and your earlier post.  I was "trying" to clarify my situation. My locality is challenging but I like being alone most of the time.  I like myself too much I think 🙂 I do wish for the first time in my life that I had more friends which is a challenge. 

Life isn't perfect and I do my best to live a satisfying existence in a beautiful place with the perfect partner.    I would lie if I claimed I haven't thought about moving back into a city but that comes with other complications ( what to do with all our pets!).  Chasing a destination I don't think is the best path in most situations. 

I could improve on my social life by trying harder to reach out and also learn more Thai.  Hard to do when considering I'm arguably in the best situation I have been in a LONG time.  I could also learn to be more humble which would allow me to get back into the good graces of certain groups I compete in.  Think I have given the impression that I'm better than the members of these groups.  That is a social skill that I need to work on.  My weed usage is just a tiny part of a big picture.

• Like 1