I prefer to do it myself - thanks

30 minutes ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

. However, unless I keep a vigilant eye on my glass, one of the other staff members inevitably sneaks up and tops it off

ManUp 

Drink it straight from the bottle. 

BTW, I like your user name 😂

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

My annoyance comes from the servers not caring which drink to pour. For example, on Monday my friend had a Singha reserve and I has a Singha, they pour his beer into mine. Or last week I changed from a Leo to a Singha and they top my half full Leo glass up with Singha. It's like beer is just beer to some of them. It's all the same but with a different packaging.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

It's a minor gripe, but when I go out for a beer, I like to relax and savor it at my own pace. I always tell the server that I'll pour my own beer, thank you very much. However, unless I keep a vigilant eye on my glass, one of the other staff members inevitably sneaks up and tops it off.

As I mentioned, it's a minor annoyance when I'm alone or with a small group. But it becomes problematic at large gatherings, where it’s nearly impossible to keep track of how many bottles are piling up at the end of the table. Does anyone else feel this way?

Man up and buy the 3 litre towers    :burp:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

Drink draught

Yes indeed. Here in Siem Reap, Cambodia, draught beers are widely available - none of the "drinking from a bottle" lark!  They are inexpensive costing around 50 US cents (17 Thai baht) for a 330ml glass at many bars, especially during "happy hours". I always drink draught Cambodian beers except when I visit Thailand where I have to resort to large bottles of Chang at the cost of 80 baht per large bottle at my usual hotel in Chiang Mai. (Please note, this hotel does not stock small bottles)

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

I don't know where you drink, it must be Nakon nowhere. In Pattaya and Jomtien people drink either from bottles or have draught beer. A very few people have a bottle with a glass and no ice. The only time I have ever had someone try to top up the beer or add ice is in a Thai barbecue where it's an accepted part of the service. Elsewhere in a bar I have never seen or experienced it. 

Maybe you are one of the cheap Charlie's who irritate me. Bagging the best seat with the best Seaview and spending an hour over drinking a small bottle of beer with a glass. Maybe they are topping up your glass to get you to buy another beer or to move on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Its a bit of a pain but its what Thais do and what they expect, When a group of Thais are drinking together, at somebody's house for example, the responsibility for topping up the glasses generally falls on the youngest or least senior member of the group, and that responsibility is taken quite seriously.

What I also find a pain is when , in restaurants, ones beer and Ice  is placed on a seperate remote table or trolley which is annoyingly, often  just out of reach.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, rwill said:

I don't drink a lot.  But what bothers me more than them refilling the glass all the time is filling it full of ice first.

You got to tell them when ordering , No  Ice. 

It is Sacrilege to ad Ice to Beer /Beer to Ice.

Edited by digger70
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

It's a minor gripe, but when I go out for a beer, I like to relax and savor it at my own pace. I always tell the server that I'll pour my own beer, thank you very much. However, unless I keep a vigilant eye on my glass, one of the other staff members inevitably sneaks up and tops it off.

As I mentioned, it's a minor annoyance when I'm alone or with a small group. But it becomes problematic at large gatherings, where it’s nearly impossible to keep track of how many bottles are piling up at the end of the table. Does anyone else feel this way?

In thought this topic would be about masturbation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

You got to tell them when ordering , No  Ice. 

I agree with proper beer....But the so-called beer that's sold in Thailand?  Not so much

At least it means you don't have to taste it.  😊

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, VBF said:

I agree with proper beer....But the so-called beer that's sold in Thailand?  Not so much

At least it means you don't have to taste it.  😊

Its ok... the 'ice in beer is sacrilege' comment is one every newbie to Thailand makes until they realise they are unoriginal....   and just learn to go with the flow.. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

Why would you concentrate on the amount of bottles? You still only have one glass, right?

8 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Man up and buy the 3 litre towers

I stopped using those towers years ago. I always seemed to be able to drink a lot more without getting drunk compared to drinking from bottles. The draught  Chang often tasted particularly weak I'm sure many places water their draft beer down

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

Normally I would agree with you, but compared to drinking Chang, or any of the others, at anything approaching  ambient temperature I'll go with the ice every time

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
13 hours ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

But it becomes problematic at large gatherings, where it’s nearly impossible to keep track of how many bottles are piling up at the end of the table. Does anyone else feel this way?

Why would you concentrate on the amount of bottles? You still only have one glass, right?

Its possibly related to 'splitting the bill'...    some are more frugal and may only want to pay for exactly what they had - thats the only think I can think of when it comes to 'keeping track of bottles'... 

As the Op pointed out, its just a minor gripe...