Foreigner fined for threatening Thai cyclist with dogs

webfact

10 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Yes, dogs in the lower Sukhumvit area simply don't exist that much anymore. I live across from a 7-11 and it has been 10 years since I have seen a sleeping stray out front of its doors.

Lower Sukhumvit is overrun with people who regard dogs as unclean. They probably poison them. I have seen dogs there occasionally still but they then vanish very quickly. I also saw one who seemed very sick in a way which could be poisoning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

The best way to deal with aggressive dogs is either a can of insect spray, or mace, or pepper spray. They all work like a charm, all animals hate insect spray and will do anything to avoid it, just spray it in their face and they go crazy.

Somebody needs to tame these wild beasts, and somebody needs to tame the idiot owner of the resort, whatever it takes, besides a 1000 baht fine by a seriously compromised group, that calls itself law enforcement. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

The savage Aseannow dogs, will  of course, attack Mr Mario, when we haven't heard his side of the story, has anyone been along this beach, to shed some light.

It is a public beach that has nothing to do with Mr Mario or "his resort", there is no light to be shed on that situation.

• Like 1

I can understand the locals' annoyance.  I got bit by a German guy's dog whilst I was sat talking to him in a quite part of Cheongmon Beach in Samui some years ago.  The local lady owner of the adjacent eatery wanted me to stay around and wait for the police as the dog had bitten many times before and she felt it could be driving customers away.  I had other ideas and wanted to get to the hospital.

23 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:
3 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Thakorn expressed his concern to the news team, emphasizing his desire for the police to thoroughly investigate Mr. Matio's background.

He also criticized the police for not checking Mr. Mario's visa status

The narrative is taking hold.

exactly.

we are increasingly living in a situation where every aggrieved local feels an obligation to run to the authorities and petition for deportation. 

even 12 months ago that was nearly unheard of. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

exactly.

we are increasingly living in a situation where every aggrieved local feels an obligation to run to the authorities and petition for deportation. 

even 12 months ago that was nearly unheard of. 

Also full review of business and visa status. The Swiss should have had the book thrown at him for the actual incident such that it applied to that incident, but when they also started to go through all his affairs with a fine tooth comb it made you wonder.

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Entitled" means the granting of some benefit; implicitly, somebody else would do the entitling.

"Self-entitled" implies that nobody else has granted this benefit to a person, except that supposed beneficiary.

it is an interesting nuance,  but MW, Dictionary.com, CollinsOxford and Cambridge would indicate the self is redundant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangel72 said:

Owners of the dogs are liable for bites I believe, even if they are only deemed unofficial owners.

Tetanus and Rabies shots and even minor bite treatment can end up close to 50k. 

50k fines every time might change things

It's not cheap but I think you're exaggerating a little there?

I got bit on Samui before and the total bill for treatment on the day including tetanus, 1st Rabipur and optional immune globular (13000B) directly into the wound came to around 25000B and that was at the Bangkok Samui.  I didn't like the way I was treated whilst they were waiting for my insurance to authorise payment, so never went back and got the remaining 4 shots of Rabipur for about 800-1000B from local clinics and smaller hospitals.  Had I gone to them in the first place, the initial bill would have been a hell of a lot cheaper but as my insurance was paying and I was a bit naive about the BS, I didn't really care.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...and petition for deportation".

Something that did not happen in this case.

Oh did it not? it certainly seems Mr Thakorn was hoping to achieve something similar.  The man was fined for his actions, yet the complainant demanded more. 

Mr. Thakorn expressed his concern to the news team, emphasizing his desire for the police to thoroughly investigate Mr. Matio's background.

8 minutes ago, n00dle said:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

It has been and he has been 

From Belgium 

While i dont condone the man's actions I think doxing the man here is completely reprehensible. You had better hope you are never perceived worthy of such attention. 

Edited by n00dle
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

How could he know that to be the case?  It is highly unlikely that his passport wasn't checked if a fine was issued and, being the owner of/involved in the resort, even more unlikely that his visa wasn't valid.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

The savage Aseannow dogs, will  of course, attack Mr Mario, when we haven't heard his side of the story, has anyone been along this beach, to shed some light.

How about you get Mr Mario's side of the story and report back. 

Be prepared to get attacked if you are on his beach. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, n00dle said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...and petition for deportation".

Something that did not happen in this case.

Oh did it not? it certainly seems Mr Thakorn was hoping to achieve something similar.  The man was fined for his actions, yet the complainant demanded more. 

No, it did not.  The victim did not petition for deportation (not that he could!) he wanted the Belgian properly checked, that's all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, n00dle said:

While i dont condone the man's actions I think doxing the man here is completely reprehensible.

His own Facebook account, advertising his business, and his personal FB account, "doxed" him first.   Claiming the beach to be his and chasing off people who use it perfectly legally, is more reprehensible than his being identified.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The underlying issue is clearly that no dogs should be off the leash in a public area if they are likely to be aggressive.

Penalties for for someones dog attacking another animal or person should be severe enough and applied consistently enough for there to be sufficient deterrent. 

Additionally, dogs should either be collared (with the owners details), or if without a collar, considered stray and removed from the area. 

Too many people, children, cyclists, runners etc are getting bitten by dogs in public areas - its a public health hazard. 

In this example - if an owner deliberately releases their dogs to 'threaten' someone in a public area it should be considered assault with consequent severe fines and the animals removed from the owners possession as they have proven they are not responsible owners. 

Agree, 100%.