What happened to you, Thailand?

bob smith

3 minutes ago, transam said:

But, in places like Pattaya where the locals are dealing day after day with mainly sh_t head farangy tourists, I think I would be p_ssed off too.

CLOSE THE EFFIN DOORS THEN!!!

if they dont like dealing with the farangs in pattaya then dont friggin deal with them!!

go to work on the farm and do some honest work for once!

am i supposed to feel sorry for somchai that he's earning 10x the minimum daily wage because he works with tourists?

come off it trans.

if you dont like it then dont bloody work in it!

christ almighty.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, bob smith said:

they are demonizing foreigners with selective reporting.

can't you see that?

would a foreigner on holiday in the US or UK that slept in a hotel without permission make the evening news???

think about it for goodness sake!

bob.

Probably and rightfully so.

It’s basically theft.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Your life sounds like ****

I doubt that you can change it or yourself now.

Stay away from balconies.......or don't........up to you.

Some people are never happy. They hate themselves and therefore hate the Thais.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thais also started to travel places there was mostly western tourism before, and maybe they appreciated the change. 

So, a few Thais travelled to destinations that were previously mostly visited by foreign tourist, and they found the places so much nicer than places that Thai people normally visit, that Thai people in general started to dislike foreigners more?  That doesn't seem likely at all.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BangkokReady said:

So, a few Thais travelled to destinations that were previously mostly visited by foreign tourist, and they found the places so much nicer than places that Thai people normally visit, that Thai people in general started to dislike foreigners more?  That doesn't seem likely at all.

Thais who travelled to places mostly visited by foreigners, contributed to a different athmosphere, and those who work in the tourist industry, liked what they saw. 

We travelled alot during the covid, and it was the best time ever without crowde places of western or other asian tourists. You have to remember, Chineese tourists is not especially popular either. 

10 minutes ago, transam said:

But, in places like Pattaya where the locals are dealing day after day with mainly sh_t head farangy tourists, I think I would be p_ssed off too.

I grew up in a touristy area. I didn’t like tourists either.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Haven't read through the thread so maybe repeating stuff. I am in a kind of retirement or practice for retirement in the touristy Jomtiem. I have limited experience of this area but everyone seems the same as my experiences back from 2003 - friendly, a bit shy, generally nice. Haven't seen a bad side yet. Some staff at the night market a bit abrupt but that's reasonable when dealing with annoying tourists all day. Changed a bit from 1985 when it was a bit more exotic. I think you may be just sick of it and that sends out an energy to those around you. Could be time to go home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Some staff at the night market a bit abrupt but that's reasonable when dealing with annoying tourists all day

my god.

another annoying tourist post...

those annoying tourists pay their kids through school and keep a roof over their heads!!

get it?

bob.

• Agree 1

Just now, bob smith said:

my god.

another annoying tourist post...

those annoying tourists pay their kids through school and keep a roof over their heads!!

get it?

bob.

I just mean the attitude of western tourists probably rubs off on them and they become a bit more westernised. They aren't rude as such  - just not some how charming as Thais often are. 

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

When I first moved to thailand many, many moons ago, it was a vibrant place, full of happy go lucky people enjoying themselves. It was such a blessing to be here and I thoroughly enjoyed the first few years in (what was back then worthy of the name) the land of smiles.

Nothing has really changed Bob, apart from Thai's have very little to celebrate when it comes to working for basically nothing, while inflation chews into the little earnings that they do make.

I live in the North-East of the country, away from most people which suites me down to the ground.

My interactions with Thai's has always been pleasant, did it ever occur to you that most Thai's who don't speak English freeze up when they see a farang, e.g. oh s.hit I hope he doesn't come to me, happened to me at a chemist the other day, I read the girl from a mile away, so I dialed the wife, smiled at the girl and handed her the mobile.

She got me what I needed, I smiled, she smiled, started to relax and I left.

I believe Thai's want to interact, but are scared of the language barrier and or how the falang will react, i.e. will he be a cranky one, I always smile, it breaks the ice, and yes, most will give you that stare of, I'm not sure, but a smile goes a long way.

It also helps if you dress nicely, smell nice and take care of those pearly whites.

Thai's are not racists, they won't go out of their way to help you, as mentioned language barrier, but try smiling, not waiing, nothing over the top, but make them feel that you are on their level, not above, not below and you might see things a little different.

Rule number 1, never expect

Rule number 2, repeat rule number 1

Good luck living in the LOS

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thais who travelled to places mostly visited by foreigners, contributed to a different athmosphere, and those who work in the tourist industry, liked what they saw. 

Any evidence for this?  I highly doubt that a location catering to masses of foreigners would be happy to switch to a handful of Thais.  Equally, I doubt this would cause a change in feelings on a national scale.

Of course most Thais in the tourism industry would prefer to deal with Thais than foreigners, if the money was the same, but this feeling would have existed long before covid.

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

We travelled alot during the covid, and it was the best time ever without crowde places of western or other asian tourists. You have to remember, Chineese tourists is not especially popular either. 

Yes, during covid it was nice to travel around because there was no one in Thailand, but people working in the tourism industry weren't happy about this, even though it might have been nice for tourists themselves.

This still all sounds extremely illogical.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Any evidence for this?  I highly doubt that a location catering to masses of foreigners would be happy to switch to a handful of Thais.  Equally, I doubt this would cause a change in feelings on a national scale.

Of course most Thais in the tourism industry would prefer to deal with Thais than foreigners, if the money was the same, but this feeling would have existed long before covid.

Yes, during covid it was nice to travel around because there was no one in Thailand, but people working in the tourism industry weren't happy about this, even though it might have been nice for tourists themselves.

This still all sounds extremely illogical.

Same as bob, I present personal experiences, and I have a few friends who runs hotels and restaurants who had the same experiences. No pier revied science, just observations. 

Most of those who normally travels for holidays abroad, now travelled in Thailand. Middle and upper class do have different standards than average Bob and Joe.

I really do not feel the same as Bob and feel Im pretty much treated the same way as before. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, bob smith said:

CLOSE THE EFFIN DOORS THEN!!!

if they dont like dealing with the farangs in pattaya then dont friggin deal with them!!

go to work on the farm and do some honest work for once!

am i supposed to feel sorry for somchai that he's earning 10x the minimum daily wage because he works with tourists?

come off it trans.

if you dont like it then dont bloody work in it!

christ almighty.

bob.

You miss the point, but expected from someone that doesn't realise he is his own problem....:unsure:

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, bob smith said:
34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... I wouldn't suggest there are 'multiple strong anti-foreigner campaigns'...

It absolutely is an anti foreigner campaign, Bangkok ready is spot on!

They hate us with a passion.

Please don't include me in the 'us' that you use...    I don't want to be associated with those of a similar mentality to yours, bob... 

Your generalisation that 'They [Thai's] hate us with a passion' is as insulting as it is outright stupid. 

The reality is that like everyone else, Thai's are as equally indifferent to us foreginers as they are each other until we pop up on their radar - then we are treated according to our behavior on our individual merit.

31 minutes ago, bob smith said:

they are demonizing foreigners with selective reporting.

Some sources like to dramatise - thats the medial all over the world. 

In general, the media demonises everything and everyone...  your are blind if you cant see that.

But, you are demonising all Thai's with general accusations...  that really is particularly dumb.

31 minutes ago, bob smith said:

can't you see that?

would a foreigner on holiday in the US or UK that slept in a hotel without permission make the evening news???

think about it for goodness sake!

bob.

Quite likely yes - look at the news coming from Spain at the moment - very anti foreigner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

That's today and in a tourist area. Lighten up and smile and they'll smile back. 

I tried it today with the hawker cow.

I smiled, said no thank you I dont want to buy and she was furious.

it doesn't work!

bob.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Please don't include me in the 'us' that you use...    I don't want to be associated with those of a similar mentality to yours, bob... 

Your generalisation that 'They [Thai's] hate us with a passion' is as insulting as it is outright stupid. 

The reality is that like everyone else, Thai's are as equally indifferent to us foreginers as they are each other until we pop up on their radar - then we are treated according to our behavior on our individual merit.

Some sources like to dramatise - thats the medial all over the world. 

In general, the media demonises everything and everyone...  your are blind if you cant see that.

But, you are demonising all Thai's with general accusations...  that really is particularly dumb.

Quite likely yes - look at the news coming from Spain at the moment - very anti foreigner.

I give up, richard.

you are clearly a smart man but you just can't help but add your own spin on each and every perception you espouse.

shame.

bob.

48 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I give up, richard.

you are clearly a smart man but you just can't help but add your own spin on each and every perception you espouse.

shame.

bob.

The only spin to add here Bob, is that you're blinded to such a degree by your own negative bias that you suck the oxygen out of every single encounter that has the potentail not to be negative. 

And while no generalisation is true, some of your comments are partially true, but only for a minority of Thai's, not the sweeping generalisations you unintelligently fall into...

The flaw in nearly every comment you make is relying on bias and upscaling these experiences to tar a whole nation..

... Do some Thai's dislike foreigners ?... of course.

... Do all Thai's dislike foreigners ?... of course not.

The simple logic of this seems so completely lost on you that your critical balance and sanity has to be questioned...

Edited by richard_smith237