Why are so many foreigners residing in Thailand problematic types?

123Stodg

2 minutes ago, Yamu said:

Hard to disagree with the OP. 98% of the sex pests I know live in  Thailand as it’s so easy to get pussy even @Yellow Fever and @Mekmong MICK can pick up. Gets your real Steve types who can’t pick up a girl irl 

Um, excuse me doofus but I'm not a sex pest, I have a girlfriend.

You're probably one of those Croatian types who fancy your cousin 

• Confused 1

Why do you think they're here in the first place? they heard that in Thailand you can get away with almost anything and

if you get caught, you can, in most cases buy your way out of troubles with hand full of baht, paradise for

law breakers and low life. Now you know...

7 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Um, excuse me doofus but I'm not a sex pest, I have a girlfriend.

You're probably one of those Croatian types who fancy your cousin 

Your girlfriend was paid for by your bar fine and she will leave you the second she realises that your idea of a great holiday is travelling around on a sewer on wheels and staying at the same places the lowest of the low in society live

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah right.. not a sex pest you say.

image.png.c7cd05637d0fd6b0b3ff5718bf41e59c.png

She's my girlfriend!! If I was a sex pest I'd have kicked her out of my room Saturday morning 

1 minute ago, Yamu said:

Your girlfriend was paid for by your bar fine and she will leave you the second she realises that your idea of a great holiday is travelling around on a sewer on wheels and staying at the same places the lowest of the low in society live

Sounds like you're jelly. And I presume you're talking about holidaying in a caravan?? I sold my van before coming to Thailand. 

I think you could do with a girlfriend, friend. You've been on this forum less than a week and already made over 50 posts. Time to get a life / see a bit of Thailand outside of Pattaya

53 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The OP is mixing with the wrong people, perhaps a case of 'birds of a feather...' I've never met an expat that he describes, some tourists, yes. An expat who doesn't assimilate to a certain degree doesn't last long here anyway.

Ex-pats who fit the description in the OP who end up upcountry usually do so because they married a bar girl, often one who they met in Pattaya. That demographic of ex-pat out in the countryside appears to be dying off. Nowadays, most guys seem to be fairly family oriented and in reasonable health. Someone who refuses to learn the language, has an anti-social chip on their shoulder, or neglects their health is not going to last long. Either the marriage will collapse, they'll develop pre-mature health problems, or get involved in a motorcycle or car accident, etc. The hinterland may still be a relatively good place to hide from the law, but it's a poor choice if you are actively involved in criminal activity because everyone knows what everybody else is doing.

• Agree 1

On 6/29/2024 at 6:28 PM, connda said:

Here's my ChatGPT created AI retort to the OP  :wink:

"As a long-term foreign resident in Thailand, I empathize with your observations. While it’s essential to acknowledge the challenges posed by some expats, I’d like to offer a more nuanced perspective.

1. Cultural Sensitivity: - I agree that cultural awareness is crucial. Learning basic phrases in Thai and respecting local customs can significantly enhance our experience here. However, it’s essential to recognize that not all expats fall into the same category. Many of us genuinely appreciate Thai culture and strive to integrate respectfully.

2. Criminal Behavior: - It’s disheartening when fellow expats engage in illegal activities. However, let’s remember that these actions represent a minority. Most of us prioritize safety and adhere to the law. Unfortunately, sensational news tends to overshadow positive contributions from expats.

3. Respect for Laws: - Overstaying visas and illegal work are indeed problematic. Responsible expats comply with regulations, but a few outliers can create a negative perception. Stricter enforcement and better education could address this issue.

4. Arrogance and Adaptation: - Arrogance harms community relations. Yet, many expats genuinely appreciate Thailand’s beauty and adapt to local life. Let’s celebrate those who bridge cultural gaps and contribute positively.

5. Attitudes and Gratitude: - Some expats perpetuate negativity, but others cherish Thailand’s uniqueness. It’s essential to focus on gratitude and share positive experiences. A shift in mindset benefits everyone.

6. Health and Stereotypes: - Health matters, and stereotypes shouldn’t define us. Many expats prioritize well-being, and we should encourage healthier lifestyles collectively.

In summary, while there are valid concerns, let’s also celebrate the expats who embrace Thailand wholeheartedly. We can all contribute to a more harmonious and respectful community. 🌴🙏🏼"

Yep, that's the kind of thing ChatGPT is good at.

It checks all the boxes quite succinctly. 

And it kind of stifles curmudgeonly grumbling and rambling.

On 6/29/2024 at 5:37 PM, Enoon said:

Rejects, outcasts, "failures", the "disappointed", drunks, asocials, xenophobes, the mentally "troubled", misanthropes, malcontents, misfits, miserable old gits, bitter divorcees, cheats, pirates, crooks and layabouts can easily find partners/co-dependants:

Sounds like the village I came from in the UK...........

• Agree 1

On 6/29/2024 at 5:38 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Didn't read as TLTR but a criminal record check for long term stayers would help a lot, then maybe consider banning tattoo people

I had my 80th birthday yesterday and in my 18th year of residence here. Never been in trouble with the law here or anywhere else, yet have several tattoos which I had done when in my late teens/early 20s when I was in the forces. Should I now be banned? 

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

There are unpleasant foreigners here in Thailand, as there are in all other countries. However, the vast majority of expats living here long-term like the country and its' people, are law-abiding, have Thai friends or family, and have learned to live with some of the less attractive elements of the local culture. You are a beginner, and you should not be making snap judgements based on little or no experience 

Maybe up in Ubon Ratchabooty, but not in Puh-Thai-Yuh. 

• Sad 1

I've resided in numerous countries. Thailand does draw more than its fair share of miscreants, as does a place like the Philippines, but they are still in the minority. Miscreants, however, tend to be more visible.  I would attribute much of it to two things: the easy availability of female company, and a very flexible enforcement of laws.

For the former, hormones drive lots of guys to believe a 20 year old Isaan farm girl is attracted to a grossly overweight, fairly unsuccessful older geezer of quite modest financial means. Those guys come to 'live the dream'. They think women get weak in the knees over them, and many add a tatt or ten, thinking that increases their babe magnet-ness. If slighted by a street smart young lass, they get bitter and come to dislike all things Thai.

For the latter, Thailand draws the lo-so petty criminals, whereas the more upscale criminal types head to Monaco or Dubai or the Caymens or Bora Bora or Geneva.

The vast majority of expats taking up residence, retired or working, cause no trouble.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1