travelers checks

Does any venue in Vietnam or Thailand cash travelers checks anymore? 

I realize they largely belong to a bygone era. I've never even had one in my life. But an elderly family member in the U.S. wants to give me some so they don't go to waste. 

Is there anything anyone can do with these things at this point?

I expect main branches of the major banks will know what they are, but there may be a fee involved (and a possible delay whilst they verify they're genuine).

EDIT looks promising but do check the fees.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Currency-Exchange/Notes-Drafts-TravelersCheques

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/other-services/clean-bill-purchase.html

Can't your family member simply cash them in the US and send you the wonga??

The issuing authority should exchange them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have the relative simply cash them where he bought them.  

24 years ago, on my first trip to Thailand, I brought some travelers checks.  I haven’t seen anyone use one in quite a while.  I once knew a girl from Japan who came to visit me in the USA.  She had some American Express travelers checks.  That was also years ago.  

I'm old enough to remember when there was only one place I could go to in Stockholm to cash traveller cheques. Come to that, I'm old enough to remember when there was only one place in NYC where you could exchange foreign currency. Hard to believe now, isn't it. I remember the 'miracle' when I first used a UK credit card to draw money at a Bangkok ATM. Times change.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm old enough to remember when there was only one place I could go to in Stockholm to cash traveller cheques. Come to that, I'm old enough to remember when there was only one place in NYC where you could exchange foreign currency. Hard to believe now, isn't it. I remember the 'miracle' when I first used a UK credit card to draw money at a Bangkok ATM. Times change.

Then you remember there was no fee to do. That was great. 

Back in the day I used TC's as an emergency option if wallet were to be stolen or lost with credit, ATM cards, etc, and cash on hand was low. 

Most higher end hotels had no problem cashing them, as well as banks,

They were convenient getting larger amounts of cash as ATM's usually have a daily limit on cash withdrawals.

My local bank still sells them so they're probably still a viable option, but in this day and age more convenient options are available.

Edited by cobra