Is it safe to wear a Rolex around Bangkok??

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 2baht said:

Get lost! You have no idea what I own!!! Jealous................🤣🤣🤣

Why the vitriol? My comments are not aimed at you personally - my general comment should not have been under a quote - that is my error

You are right, I don't know what you own or wear - not sure why you think I gave that impression.

For all I know, you might wear a Rolex or wear women's clothes, but given you have only 2Baht to your name, it is doubtful you could afford either.

I am sorry I can't oblige your demand to "Get Lost". You are out of date as I use GPS.

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2024 at 11:33 PM, Mekmong MICK said:

Per the title, I need to make a trip to Bangkok later in the week for an appointment and sort a few matters out. Will I be safe wearing my Rolex? I plan to stay the night and will probably end up at a couple of bars? Should I wear my Rolex and will I be safe from pickpocketers / gangs or should I leave it in my hotel safe?

And a note; can I ask posters please keep responses civil and informative? 

I've been to Bangkok a few times, and while it's generally safe, wearing an expensive watch like a Rolex can make you feel like a target for pickpocketers, especially in busy areas and bars. It's best to leave your Rolex in the hotel safe and wear a less noticeable watch instead. The city has a vibrant nightlife, and while the locals are generally friendly, the probability of getting robbed can happen. Better to be cautious and avoid drawing unnecessary attention. If you're interested, there are also Rolex replica watch options that look like the part without risk. That's what I did when I went to London. I bought myself a replica Rolex Submariner, so I wouldn't be so disappointed if it were to be stolen.

Edited by orang37

On 7/1/2024 at 11:50 AM, bob smith said:

whenever I'm in Bangkok I wear one on each wrist..

The girls go wild for them!

bob.

Maybe you meant that the girls go wild over them.

If the girls went wild for them, then they would be consuming them, as in buying them, or using them.

So, what you meant, obviously is that the girls go wild over you when you wear Rolex watches, one on each wrist.

Also, if you want to wear a Rolex watch properly, as they do in Taiwan, then the band of the watch must be super loose so that the heavy watch will dangle from the wrist.

Maybe it's just that Taiwan men have such small wrists, like girls?

Yes, they do.

But, this does not mean that the Taiwanese men could not go to the jeweler and have one or five links removed from the standard band of a Rolex, so that they could wear their Rolex watch as most men do, REAL men, from around the world.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

• 2 months later...

Wearing a Rolex in Bangkok can be a mixed bag. It really depends on where you are and how comfortable you feel. I wore my watch there during my last trip, but I kept it pretty low-key and avoided the busier markets where things can get a bit hectic.

Funny enough, I ended up at a shop that had some really nice Patek Philippe super clone. The owner was super friendly and even shared some tips about the local watch scene. It made me feel more at ease about wearing my watch while exploring. Just stay aware of your surroundings, and you should be fine!

Edited by Mediappy

On 7/1/2024 at 12:28 PM, Mekmong MICK said:

Really??

Mine looks 100% legit, you can tell its real from 15m away

You must have only seen really bad fakes.

Most of the time a watch shop won't know whether it's a real one or a good fake until they open it up. And the really good fakes - until they start taking it apart...

I actually prefer the fake Rolex's, TAG's and Omega's to the real ones.

My real one would obviously be left in the hotel room safe if I was planning a  L O N G  night in Bangkok. Common sense.

It is safe... until it is not.... you are walking around a city that has a lot of people that have a hard time making a daily wage... and many that are downright desperate at times... and of course your common criminals looking for an opportunity...  It is advertising that you might basically be worth the risk...

MMick, in 2010 I moved to Thailand and brought my Rolex Presidential Day/Date with diamond numerals and diamond bezel (cost 2 million Baht at the Rolex store in Thailand at the time). I was always hesitant to wear it out, but I did wear it to one wedding party at a 5-star hotel. I'm sure that all the guests at my table either had no clue what it was, or they knew but thought it was a fake. After that I decided to sell it so I wouldn't be tempted to wear it again and risk injury or death to myself. I sold it to the owner of a gold shop. Now I have two watch boxes filled with 24 watches, the most expensive of which is 600 Baht, and each of them looks as good as my Rolex and actually keep better time. Swallow your pride and ego and do what is best to protect your life and the life of those who might be in your company when the robbers come after you. 

On 7/1/2024 at 10:33 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

Per the title, I need to make a trip to Bangkok later in the week for an appointment and sort a few matters out. Will I be safe wearing my Rolex? I plan to stay the night and will probably end up at a couple of bars? Should I wear my Rolex and will I be safe from pickpocketers / gangs or should I leave it in my hotel safe?

only i f it is a copy

only i f it is a copy

Unless you are an Indian wearing a big gold necklace hanging around ladyboys, you should be fine.

• Agree 1

On 7/1/2024 at 5:33 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

If me, I wouldn't do it, nor wear massive gold chains...:whistling:

5 hours ago, jippytum said:

Be sensible it is unwise to wear expensive items on dispay in locations such Bangkok and Pattaya. 

I have been wearing a 18K yellow gold day-date president Rolex for over 25 years in Pattaya. Sold it about 15 months ago. Never encountered any issues

On 6/30/2024 at 8:58 PM, Mekmong MICK said:

Mine certainly isn't a fake, I could buy a house in Thailand with the price of mine 🙂

Then I would definitely leave it in the hotel safe, or better yet leave it home. Do without it for a couple weeks, there's no reason to invite temptation. 

Usually people get chains snatched off their necks while wating at traffic lights on their bikes, but I've never heard of anyone getting their watch taken off their wrists. That doesn't mean, though, that it can't happen, but chances are fairly low. If anyone's asks just tell them it's a fake you bought here. I would most definitely not leave it in a hotel safe! I'd rather wear it then. And also, and much more importantly, don't get drunk and don't  take home some creature of the night because that increases your chances of losing the watch exponentially! 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Then I would definitely leave it in the hotel safe, or better yet leave it home. Do without it for a couple weeks, there's no reason to invite temptation. 

I actually think a Rolex on your wrist is safer than in a Bangkok hotel safe. Plenty of times I have read stories of theft from the safe in a Thailand hotel room.

• Like 1