Land of Smiles - really?

9 hours ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

Just another observation:

Seeing as this thread has got out of control already, I'm gonna throw caution to the wind. I've been called a grumpy old farang, which I have probably become in some ways 🤣 (actually, I'm a really nice guy!), but:

- why do so many people here chuck their plastic waste everywhere without any regard for the environment? It really makes me despair. Thailand has such a beautiful landscape, or used to have in some places. Don't people care about the natural environment? My partner says it's because most people aren't educated about it and simply don't understand. And the corporations encourage it (single-use plastic etc.)

When you peak behind hedgerows or trees it often looks like a garbage dump. It's so sad.

Thoughts?

Laws on the book aren't enforced. Officials look the other way when a payout is made like most other poor countries. Although there is conservation in some places, it isn't as important here, also because it's a poor country and every man and woman for themselves. They try and protect their national parks because this brings tourism money, but their lakes are by and far netted out because it isn't a tourist thing as much here to go fishing. There are deer in those parks but nowhere else because if there were, they would be eaten and disappear overnight. The government has garbage pickup in major cities bit ignore the country areas, so the people have no place to put their garbage besides in the woods or to burn it, contributing to the pollution problem here. And yes, it's about education and enforcement, and that goes to the top.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Along with the brown nosers who think they are somehow gaining favor, the ones who can't see the forest for the trees and those that are dead on with their complaints.

Thailand is not for everyone. 

These complainers need to return to their own countries, be amongst similar others, their own miserable people. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

Hi everyone

I know each person's experience of Thailand is different, but Thailand is often called the Land of Smiles. Is that really a fair description nowadays? My feeling is that people will smile as long as they can get money from you. As soon as they've got it, it's over with the friendliness.

Thais seem extremely hypocritical to me. I feel like I can't really trust anyone. Even Thai friends say this. Is it true?

Generally, the country seems very backward in many ways. The majority of people are hugely exploited, but they just seem to accept it as if it were normal. Perhaps that's the deferent culture of the Thais.

I've been here for 3 years, but I'm not happy really. Maybe I've just had a bad experience, which is not representative of the country as a whole.

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

Everything you said is completely true

Hi everyone

I know each person's experience of Thailand is different, but Thailand is often called the Land of Smiles. Is that really a fair description nowadays? My feeling is that people will smile as long as they can get money from you. As soon as they've got it, it's over with the friendliness.

Thais seem extremely hypocritical to me. I feel like I can't really trust anyone. Even Thai friends say this. Is it true?

Generally, the country seems very backward in many ways. The majority of people are hugely exploited, but they just seem to accept it as if it were normal. Perhaps that's the deferent culture of the Thais.

I've been here for 3 years, but I'm not happy really. Maybe I've just had a bad experience, which is not representative of the country as a whole.

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

9 hours ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

Seeing as this thread has got out of control already, I'm gonna throw caution to the wind. I've been called a grumpy old farang, which I have probably become in some ways 🤣 (actually, I'm a really nice guy!), but:

There is a Gay People in Thailand Forum -- maybe you'd get some more meaningful and helpful responses' there.

Hi everyone

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand is not for everyone. 

These complainers need to return to their own countries, be amongst similar others, their own miserable people. 

It isn't being miserable pointing out what is. People like to see change where they are, no matter if it's their country or not. If you live here, you want things to be right, because there is always a right way and a wrong way, and some countries are still stuck in reverse. Changes some would like to see would help everyone.

It’s simple, thais view farangs as a financial life raft and that’s all they really view them as.. if you aren’t willing to splash that cash Thai’s won’t give you the time of day generally

It’s a transactional relationship between Thai and farang, always has been. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

It’s simple, thais view farangs as a financial life raft and that’s all they really view them as.. if you aren’t willing to splash that cash Thai’s won’t give you the time of day generally

It’s a transactional relationship between Thai and farang, always has been. 

Yep, I'm starting to realise this with my missus. Everytime I ask her to go to the shop to grab a 6 pack she asks for extra money to get her nails done or feet manicured. Still, happy wife happy life I guess and it keeps the old girl smiling

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

do so many people here chuck their plastic waste everywhere without any regard for the environment? It really makes me despair

They do it for their descendants to become wealthy.

About 40 years ago a farang came over to Thailand and dug up an old canal in Bangkok.

He found old plates, and other “artefacts” that sold for a lot of money. The Thais just thought it was just rubbish that was discarded but now the farangs are getting and paying high prices for what they considered rubbish.

That M150 bottle and Lays crisps wrapppers will be worth a lot of money one day. 

Smart people.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Weird foreigners come to Thailand and want change. Go back to your own country and complain. Your own country is not perfect, could do with lots improvement. 

Omfg, what's wrong with people today? 

Many are blind to what's around them, and are content to live in a place that is wrong for them. Change takes place when complaints are listened to. Change can be good for everyone, besides those that prosper on others misfortunes and are content to keep things that way.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Now I know you are having a laugh, thanks for the chuckle. 👍

Very funny, have you thought about a career in comedy, you'll make a fortune. 😂

Guess you haven't been there. I lived there 62 years, and never had much trouble at all. It has everything anyone could want.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Guess you haven't been there. I lived there 62 years, and never had much trouble at all. It has everything anyone could want.

You Guessed wrong

I have travelled, studied and worked in over 40 countries. 

US, I spent a lot of my time in Houston, mostly training courses. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

33 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You want it to be like the same 5hit hole you left behind. 

Don't change anything.

Since I arrived, Thailand has already seen too many changes, all because of the moaners. 

LEAVE THAILAND ALONE. 

😡

I like it the way it is. 

To add on from before. I of course am not saying you can change anything here because many things are a certain way because of geographical location and climate. I'm saying changes should always be made to help all people, especially those that have been oppressed and are barely making it in life. Thailand has borrowed many things and made changes like other countries. Their justice system is born out of the English standard. Most things that people use here daily are from other countries and trade and tourism from those countries is part of what makes Thailand prosper. Democracy would do well here, where people can actually vote someone in and see them in that position. The driving ere is appalling and people die by the thousands yearly because of a lack of enforcement. This of course needs an immediate change. Thailand is a huge hub for human trafficking and extreme punishment would help curtail that activity, but where there's money to be made, people are kept as slaves. It isn't moaning wanting to live in a better and more safer place. It's mandatory to complain, and that's the only way changes will be made. Anyone who thinks things are just fine and dandy here are living in their homes and rarely leaving.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You Guessed wrong

I have travelled, studied and worked in over 40 countries. 

US, I Spent most of my time in Houston, mostly training courses. 

Maybe you should have stayed longer in the US to actually see what goes on there, as traveling from place to place doesn't lend to understanding what really goes on, and many only go by videos and some news they hear. You can live in one place and never go anywhere besides back and forth from work to home. Locals live here all their lives and never see but a fraction of what goes on here daily.

I like this thread. A lot.

It's very refreshing to see so many farangs finally waking up to the truth about life here.

it isn't all it's cracked up to be and it's much better for you in the long run to remove the rose tinted specs so you can see the wood for the trees.

Any other approach than that is pure self delusion and/or denial.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

There is a Gay People in Thailand Forum -- maybe you'd get some more meaningful and helpful responses' there.

That's a ridiculous suggestion. My original thread had absolutely nothing to do with my being gay and I could just as well be straight.

Is there a "heterosexual people in Thailand" forum too?

Christ...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Maybe you should have stayed longer in the US to actually see what goes on there, as traveling from place to place doesn't lend to understanding what really goes on, and many only go by videos and some news they hear. You can live in one place and never go anywhere besides back and forth from work to home. Locals live here all their lives and never see but a fraction of what goes on here daily.

I reckon I've seen more of the US than you. 

• Confused 1