Land of Smiles - really?

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Labeling doesn't fly here, as there are millions that are educated on the subject. Most just don't get on TV.  I just said it was you that seemed to dispute that global warming causes col when you said Global warming eh?

Educated very selectively by what they have been carefully  fed by mainstream media and others with vested interests.  The only thing that doesn't get on TV are the scientists with theories that contradict the narrative.  The narrative  that the powers that be have decided is not to be questioned. an attitude that pretty much destroys the fundamental principles of scientific research. It is not possible to ignore the element of propaganda so obvious in the news these days. At least not for somebody who has retained the ability to think for themselves

As an example in the Uk from the onset of spring nearly every single day is referred to as "the hottest day of the year so far"  by our esteemed weather forecasters, and accompanied by advice regarding drinking more water etc etc 

Last week an official national "yellow weather warning" was issued for 3 nice summer days,  yet, once autumn arrives there is never any mention of the" coolest day of the year so far" and strangely even in the dark depths of winter there is a complete absence of any advice about keeping warm, despite hypothermia killing more people every year in the UK  than any increase in temperatures,  Why would that be I wonder?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

I ALWAYS smile back when someone smiles at me 🙂 I kind of hope they'll talk to me but then it's just a fleeting encounter usually

Have you considered that it might be because you are gay?

As a hertro man I am a bit reluctant to smile at gay men because I worry that might take it the wrong way. 
Also if you don’t drink it will be harder to make friends.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Bday Prang said:

Educated very selectively by what they have been carefully  fed by mainstream media and others with vested interests.  The only thing that doesn't get on TV are the scientists with theories that contradict the narrative.  The narrative  that the powers that be have decided is not to be questioned. an attitude that pretty much destroys the fundamental principles of scientific research. It is not possible to ignore the element of propaganda so obvious in the news these days. At least not for somebody who has retained the ability to think for themselves

As an example in the Uk from the onset of spring nearly every single day is referred to as "the hottest day of the year so far"  by our esteemed weather forecasters, and accompanied by advice regarding drinking more water etc etc 

Last week an official national "yellow weather warning" was issued for 3 nice summer days,  yet, once autumn arrives there is never any mention of the" coolest day of the year so far" and strangely even in the dark depths of winter there is a complete absence of any advice about keeping warm, despite hypothermia killing more people every year in the UK  than any increase in temperatures,  Why would that be I wonder?

You don't seem to realize that you are being fooled by some, just like you saying that others are being fooled by propaganda. Scientists are some of those that are seeing this global warming for what it is, and anyone who doesn't see it by now is blind. I remember back when I was in high school and I saw them cutting down trees in the Amazon, and knew this was the beginning of something that's going to affect the world. Little did I or most anyone know this has come to be. There are those that will see the effects in years to come, just as some blind will eventually see trump for what he really is, as I did long before he became president. It's called being in denial, and it's what hurts a lot of people. It's again, very easy to research on why cold spells can be caused by the earth's warming. Look at the polar ice caps and you'll see them and icebergs disappearing for the first time in history. I couldn't care less about others opinions without evidence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

As a hertro man I am a bit reluctant to smile at gay men because I worry that might take it the wrong way. 

How do you know a man is gay by looking at him? Why would you be reluctant to smile at a man if you don't know if he's gay or not? They'll only take it a certain way if you flirt with them. They aren't as pushy as you might believe. Truthfully, drinking is a national pastime here, so it's a little true that you will make friends easier if you go to bars and drink, but out in the streets you can also make friends if you notice they are doing something you also enjoy, or you overhear them say something you're interested in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

I've been here for 3 years, but I'm not happy really. Maybe I've just had a bad experience, which is not representative of the country as a whole.

Why are you still here if you are not happy?

Where do you think you would be happier? And why don't you move to that happier place?

Personally, I am happy here since decades. Obviously not everything is great all the time. But I don't know any better alternative. 

I just recently read about Finland and that they are always #1 on the happiness scale. Really? With those temperatures.

pedestrians_in_helsinki-forecast.jpg

3 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

They smile at walkimg ATMs 

I guess that's the walking ATM types opinion.

The entire population of Thailand are NOT looking for handouts.

Most times, walking ATMs are sought after in a handful of similar places - and that's universal.

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You don't seem to realize that you are being fooled by some, just like you saying that others are being fooled by propaganda. Scientists are some of those that are seeing this global warming for what it is, and anyone who doesn't see it by now is blind. I remember back when I was in high school and I saw them cutting down trees in the Amazon, and knew this was the beginning of something that's going to affect the world. Little did I or most anyone know this has come to be. There are those that will see the effects in years to come, just as some blind will eventually see trump for what he really is, as I did long before he became president. It's called being in denial, and it's what hurts a lot of people. It's again, very easy to research on why cold spells can be caused by the earth's warming. Look at the polar ice caps and you'll see them and icebergs disappearing for the first time in history. I couldn't care less about others opinions without evidence.

Well regardless of your earlier predictions which are worthy of a child prodigy. I think you need to open your eyes and accept that we are all being fooled by propaganda and lied to by governments on a daily basis.  Its somewhat illogical to cherry pick which bits of what they tell you that you decide to be true  We owe it to ourselves to question everything these people would have us believe

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Well regardless of your earlier predictions which are worthy of a child prodigy. I think you need to open your eyes and accept that we are all being fooled by propaganda and lied to by governments on a daily basis.  Its somewhat illogical to cherry pick which bits of what they tell you that you decide to be true  We owe it to ourselves to question everything these people would have us believe

Speak for yourself. Others are interested in evidence and not others opinions. I also question everything I hear and read until evidence proves things. Like I said, you and others who are in denial will see what's going to happen to our earth, both by greed and global warming, which go hand in hand.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why are you still here if you are not happy?

Where do you think you would be happier? And why don't you move to that happier place?

That's why I'm on this forum, as I would like to stay in Thailand and make a happy life for myself. The problem could well be me and I accept that possibility.

I don't honestly know where I would be happier and I think every country has good and bad sides. It's probably up to every person to make the most of wherever they are in the end.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally, I am happy here since decades. Obviously not everything is great all the time. But I don't know any better alternative. 

I just recently read about Finland and that they are always #1 on the happiness scale. Really? With those temperatures.

Indeed - I hate the cold more than anything. I like temperatures of around 25-30. That's ideal. Thailand can be a bit oppressive sometimes, but I have got used to that and I don't have a problem with the temperature or humidity any longer.

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thailand is known as the 'land of smiles' because there are 13 ways in which they smile. And each has a name. End of thread.

https://impactgrouphr.com/individualpost/thailand-the-land-of-the-smiles/

So there we have it , the answer to the ultimate question, brought to us by the internationally renowned "impact group"   (who ever they might be ) 

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

its truly shocking that anybody should seek to supress a debate regarding a matter that has become so deeply politicised. Its even more worrying that people are so willing to accept what governments and teenage activists tell them;

Blaming "climate change" or even using it as an excuse for the illegal economic migrants flocking to Europe in order to enjoy a life on benefits is stretching things by any standards.  Nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with weak government, 

Hopefully the current  rise in popularity of  right of center governments might finally start to address that

I'm not trying to supress anything, I was only politely requesting no debate on that as it's so divisive.

Let's agree to disagree on this one 😉 I'm sure you've got some other interesting points to make though. So thanks for chiming in here.

21 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

this is gonna be a good thread. it has it all. fake smiles, ladyboys, gays, global warming, the presdiential elections

Yes, I think you're right 😁😁😁

32 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

No, that's not it. None of my friends in Europe are gay and we know a few people here and none of them are gay (as far as I know). Sexual preference is obviously irrelevant when it comes to forming friendships. Not sure what to make of your comment about smiling at gay men.. are you worried they'll grab you by the .... ? 😊 They won't, honestly. Ladyboys might though.

4 hours ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

Hi everyone

I know each person's experience of Thailand is different, but Thailand is often called the Land of Smiles. Is that really a fair description nowadays? My feeling is that people will smile as long as they can get money from you. As soon as they've got it, it's over with the friendliness.

Thais seem extremely hypocritical to me. I feel like I can't really trust anyone. Even Thai friends say this. Is it true?

Generally, the country seems very backward in many ways. The majority of people are hugely exploited, but they just seem to accept it as if it were normal. Perhaps that's the deferent culture of the Thais.

I've been here for 3 years, but I'm not happy really. Maybe I've just had a bad experience, which is not representative of the country as a whole.

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

ah yes, "the land of smiles"a snappy little marketing line for tourist, and yet here you are thinking it holds some validity. And damn, if everyone doesn't like you, sounds like you are the problem 

1 hour ago, Yamu said:

I find the men are just weak and submissive. You could mog him by taking his wife and daughter and he’d smile at you and do nothing

Thai men do seem pretty useless most of the time. It's the women who seem to do most of the work and control the money. They have the real power I think. Perhaps that's the Chinese influence ?

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

A fantastic post, well done Chris for speaking your mind!

Thailand is anything but the land of smiles.

It is the land of fake smiles, should really be called Lieland. 

Everything here is superficial, especially encounters between locals and foriegners.

There is nothing genuine here and everything is for sale.

Honesty and integrity is completely alien to most Thais, sadly.

bob.

Thanks for replying Bob. I'm truly hoping you're wrong though. Honesty and integrity are two of my most cherished principles actually.

Do you live here?

Chris

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

Have you tried the Brave browser?

The default settings work for me fine.

I would,  but my browser works ok ( and blocks most ads ON OTHER SITES ) ....

changing things , even "resetting" ,  causes my cookies to get messed up on some

sites i use ...... thanks for suggestion

1 minute ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

Thai men do seem pretty useless most of the time. It's the women who seem to do most of the work and control the money. They have the real power I think. Perhaps that's the Chinese influence ?

Culture born out of Buddhism, which to this day looks at women as inferior. Boys are revered although so many are useless when it comes to responsibility, and the women do most of the work and aren't rewarded.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

Partly, it's laziness having a partner who speaks Thai.

[/quote]

Get your partner to only speak Thai with you!

Sure you should have a professional teacher to teach you the grammar rules for reading/writing etc, but you have a teacher right there to improve your spoken Thai.  (Many years ago I initially learnt spoken Thai from my ex-wife who only spoke broken English, and then I progressed with a private teacher for written/reading Thai).

Don't expect Thai people to speak English - you're in Thailand, not in England 🙂

Thanks for your advice Simon, I appreciate it. Bee has tried only speaking Thai with me. It works for a while and then he gets frustrated and reverts to German (he speaks English, too, but German is easier for him). Yes, I need a school so that I can learn the rules and the alphabet/writing system. 

From my experience, Thai people's level of English is extremely low. It's not their fault of course, as the education system is very badly funded and only people with money can get a decent education.

In any case, I am the foreigner here so I should learn their language, not the other way around.

8 minutes ago, ChrisThailand1977 said:

Thai men do seem pretty useless most of the time.

that's an understatement.

I have yet to meet a competent Thai male and I know many.

Most act like overgrown babies and should be treated accordingly.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1