Best types of foreigners in Thailand

susanlea

13 minutes ago, ignore it said:

Sure got to be hundreds if not thousands of Army vets in Pattaya.

But how many Army vets can be quiet, are polite and not angry, and can go weeks without alcohol?

true, I tend to think about those I know, who are are different breed than what we think about when it comes to veterans who have served several times in the worst places doung the <deleted> jobs, while we whining here like experts on war and politics 

Edited by Hummin

42 minutes ago, ignore it said:

Going to be hard finding anyone under 30 that can read a map.

They all read Maps....  Everywhere they go they find via google maps on their phone.. 

So reading a map is second nature.

If however you mean triangulating the location from a compass and ordinance survey map - I doubt many (old or young) are able to do this.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, susanlea said:

1 The quiet ones

2 People who can read a map and don't think Pattaya is half of Thailand

3 People who are polite and not angry

4 People who can go weeks without alcohol

5 People who know how to use search engines and weren't born yesterday

6 People who can recognise dementia and call it out

LOL! Sounds correct!

31 minutes ago, bob smith said:

...i'd love to buy you a drink one day, richard.

Don't bring susan though.

bob.

Bob, you are one of the characters on here I would meet for beer... 

Your post are fun, they draw an awful lot of flack (from me included), I respect how thick skinned you are never taking anything too personally...  I've given you a lot of flack in the past and you don't hold a grudge (unlike a lot of other posters)...

I'd also like to witness how you perceive the treatment of Thai's compared to myself... 

"The girl slammed the beer down on the table and scorned, all Thai's hate foreigners"....  Vs my version... "Beers arrived and we chatted"....  (imagined example of course).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 The quiet ones

dont forget hansum like me....

• Thumbs Up 1

1 The quiet ones

In the right places those with character are great fun... 

Life could be quite boring without the technicolour added to it by the characters around us (within reason).

In other-words - Dumb People sticking to and / or depending on stereotypes (agreed).

100% agree

Disagree - there's nothing wrong with someone who enjoys beer every day, so long as they are not making an nuisance of themselves.

Translation: Idiots who post exceptionally dumb questions on this forum !!!  (where to get flip-top toothpaste !).

Erm...   this is a weird one.. 

Why someone being able recognise dementia and calling it out (in a stranger or those around me) make them a better type of foreigner?

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your post are fun, they draw an awful lot of flack (from me included), I respect how thick skinned you are never taking anything too personally...  I've given you a lot of flack in the past and you don't hold a grudge (unlike a lot of other posters)...

...water off a ducks back to me, mate.

This is an anonymous forum and people who take things personally are missing the point, imo.

bob.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They all read Maps....  Everywhere they go they find via google maps on their phone.. 

So reading a map is second nature.

If however you mean triangulating the location from a compass and ordinance survey map - I doubt many (old or young) are able to do this.

i navigate by dead reckoning and reading the stars......avast ye swabs!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

the right places those with character are great fun... 

Live could be quite boring without the technicolour added to it by the characters around us (within reason

The quietest person in a room is the most dangerous. The loudest is the weakest.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, susanlea said:
16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The quietest person in the room could also be the stupid one who at least knows to keep quiet, letting everyone think them a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt !!!... 

If they were a fool they wouldn't keep quiet.

I've been in plenty of meetings where the quiet person is actually a fool - scared to say anything.... 

So perhaps a notch higher up than the completely stupid, who, as quoted by many, the latest of whom is Ricky Gervais: "When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid !!!"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've been in plenty of meetings where the quiet person is actually a fool - scared to say anything.... 

So perhaps a notch higher up than the completely stupid, who, as quoted by many, the latest of whom is Ricky Gervais: "When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid !!!"

They might think the same about you.

The non-judgmental ones.

Deciding, what's good, what's bad, best, and therefore not best(i.e worst)  putting people in boxes, getting triggered by someone enjoying something they don't get, feeling the need to put others down or point out flaws to justify they are the good person.

Damn, there despite myself I've just judged, put me in the not best box where I belong.

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The girl slammed the beer down on the table and scorned, all Thai's hate foreigners"....  Vs my version... "Beers arrived and we chatted"....  (imagined example of course).

A smiling beautiful girl with the face of an angel with hair like silk in a very short skirt presented icy cold beers to me, then gave me a rub and invited me upstairs to make sweet passionate love.

6 hours ago, susanlea said:

1 The quiet ones

The ones that don’t draw attention to themselves 

5 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

The ones that think I'm their best mate because I made the mistake of acknowledging them. Now I do a passable impersonation of saying sorry I'm from (insert country) and so sorry I don't speak any English whatsoever in seven languages.

The most convincing of which is Ethiopian.🤣

Ha! You got me to thinking as I have five languages down pat in being able to apologize for not speaking those languages. OK, I can just replace those languages with “English” in those languages … guess I just never had the need.

22 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

A smiling beautiful girl with the face of an angel with hair like silk in a very short skirt presented icy cold beers to me, then gave me a rub and invited me upstairs to make sweet passionate love.

I like your experience much better!

6 hours ago, susanlea said:

1 The quiet ones

Except Nr 3, could you please explain why any of the other choices would make a better person?

As I see it, a quiet person is very bad at socializing. If someone want to see it as Pattaya is the heart of Thailand, why not just let them? Some people are totally okay when drinking. Not other persons business how often as long they are polity and decent. Some old people are not very used to Google, and therefore you just don´t think they are same good? Why would a person be better because they can see if a person has dementia, and then put it in their face?

You post is totally sick.

People who are (generally) relaxed, happy, smile a lot and go with the flow

People with enough money to live comfortably and who are generous when they do have money

People who try to look after their physical and mental health

People who are still curious about life

People who don't keep banging on and on about negatives in Thailand and Thai people

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Except Nr 3, could you please explain why any of the other choices would make a better person?

As I see it, a quiet person is very bad at socializing. If someone want to see it as Pattaya is the heart of Thailand, why not just let them? Some people are totally okay when drinking. Not other persons business how often as long they are polity and decent. Some old people are not very used to Google, and therefore you just don´t think they are same good? Why would a person be better because they can see if a person has dementia, and then put it in their face?

You post is totally sick.

I can barely make sense of that post. Not sure you understand English very well. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

true, I tend to think about those I know, who are are different breed than what we think about when it comes to veterans who have served several times in the worst places doung the <deleted> jobs, while we whining here like experts on war and politics 

Well, my original reply was a shade against Gens Z and Alpha whose navigation skills I presume to be the ability to listen to an auto GPS and follow its track on a screen and wouldn't know a road map from a placemat. 

Sorry you missed that.

*Being a Vietnam Vet myself (albiet only one year as I was a drafted anti Vietnam war hippy) I'm not much of an expert or whiner.

I can and do upon occasion, get loud as a German, ruder than a chinaman, and as angry as a Vietnam Vet with PTSD. I can go weeks , years in fact, with out alchohol, but God bless the weed (be it legal or illegal).

So I do not fit the OP's supercilious description of the "Best Type of Foreigner", and I proudly don't give a poop.