Why do so many people like Pattaya but hate Phuket?

Pattaya is for the budget conscious. Food, sex, transport all cheaper.

Phuket is for those who want something a bit better, generally cleaner and better air quality, less piles of garbage.

Both are good. 

If they both cost the same, Phuket would win, a whole tropical island versus Jomtien to Nakluea.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Exactly. I went to Phuket when I first arrived in Thailand 30 years ago, and I have not returned since - due to the transport mafia there. I don't have to go where I'm sure I'll be cheated/abused.

The only solution I found was to book a hotel near airport. Walk there. Actually a nice beach and a good area.

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

The only solution I found was to book a hotel near airport. Walk there. Actually a nice beach and a good area.

Rent a smaller car 650-750B a day, problem solved. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I have been having a trial retirement and one thing that made me give Jomtiem a go rather than say Patong or Phuket town was it seemed like - unless you get a car - everything you need is close by. Jomtiem isn't too busy, nice outlook to the sea, affordable condos with gym and swimming pool, excellent food, massages etc nearby - and Pattaya minutes away if you want better shopping entertainment or other stuff. 

I have spent a lot of time in Phuket and the beaches are of course much better but there isn't one town or area that ticked the boxes though I may have a month or two in Phuket too - maybe Phuket town or in the west with a car - a bit later. 

I prefer phuket, but i agree on what you say. Your points are very very valid!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can't say I like either of the actually.

Both have a tad too much sleaze, beach in Phuket better, but I'm not really a beach guy.

First time we visited Pattaya, probably 15 years ago our son was maybe 8, walking  together through downtown, couldn't get over the high pressure hustle of the girls. I was walking with my wife and son for God's sake

Family vacation?

I don't think so 

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I agree... it's because most of the expats here in Pattaya are retirees on a budget, Phuket is more expensive. 

It's probably why I see so many miserable elderly foreigners here in Pattaya, being on their pensions they don't have the funds to enjoy their retired life. 

I choose Pattaya for the international airport location, I travel internationally every month. 

Did not know Pattaya had an international airport. Is it just newly constructed?

People like myself who love living in the Pattaya area don't actually live in town. We live just down the coast or in one of the rural areas. I can't blame people for choosing Pattaya over Phuket, it has everything. Folk who hate Pattaya, I think you'll find, have never actually visited here, but wish to hell they had. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

Did not know Pattaya had an international airport. Is it just newly constructed?

U-tapao International Airport, VTBU, UTP. Old airport, new terminal.  International does not mean anything except "connects to places outside Thailand, with CIQ", but the list is growing. And, Swampy now very easy to get to/from. Don Muang not so easy.

Edited by Grusa
puctuation
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

U-tapao International Airport, VTBU, UTP. Old airport, new terminal.  International does not mean anything except "connects to places outside Thailand, with CIQ", but the list is growing. And, Swampy now very easy to get to/from. Don Muang not so easy.

So, it's more like Rayong international airport with 3 flights weekly to UAE, Singapore and Malaysia.... Very international.

And BKK international is still almost 2 hours away....