British Couple Outraged Over £9 Tin of Heinz Beans in Thailand

The shop looked like Villa Market In Phuket where prices are high for sure. 
420baht is the price of my evening meal meat and rice plus a side dish of veg, and a fresh coconut or bottle water. Cheese is also very expensive in Thailand as is wine etc. Just go without . I’ve bought various cheeses and they seem strange,  and the wine is usually badly stored , I’ve seen them stacked by a window in aPattaya shop. I eat the best cheese and wine at home in France so I’d rather stick to local food and a beer or a gin tonic. Anyhow, why would you want to buy baked beans on holiday in Asia ?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Yes, well. Rockets are very overpriced at the moment😇

The band Devo had a rocket in their pocket... And didn't know what to do. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi

Works both ways.
I went "home" (to Canada) one summer a couple years (5+ it seems) ago. Was planning on spending a weekend at my "old" place clearing it out and boxing stuff to go into storage.
I needed supplies for 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 2 dinners (just for me). Didn't but anything fancy. Pack of hotdogs, hamburger, buns, cheese, butter, bacon, eggs, loaf of bread, small ketchup/mustard and so on.

$300 Cdn ! Literally one bag of groceries. 
At the time it was close to 9,000 baht equivalent ! For 3 days worth of food.

I average about 10,000 - per month - in Thailand on groceries and I don't skimp. 

About 8 years ago a friend in Canada commented that she'd just paid $8 (Cdn) for a single "head" of cauliflower. 215 baht roughly.

I went to the local "market" up the street. Bought some onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers and red chilies. (Photo below)
Cost 180 baht. ($6.70 Cdn equivalent.)

So yeah, if you're "just here on a getaway" (yeah right) and buying groceries (uh huh) and sticking with the "imported" brands of "foreign" foods, it can be fairly expensive.

But if you are "living" here and doing your "normal" grocery shopping and buying "local" foods, it can be (is) a lot cheaper than "back home". 

89534767_10157898716564220_8674500805841125376_n.thumb.jpg.1194bbb508d0646b019c3ea47ec9aa6a.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Forget about bacon and beans the price of bacon in Thailand is outragous eventhough it is processed here from local pork?

I have no idea of the price of ban as I make my own honey and mustard version and slice it as thinly as I can see. That maybe thick for some people.

As for baked beans it must be about 60 years ago that I last ate some. they were in a 5 gallon bain marie in the airman's mess and it put me off them for the rest of my life.

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Why are adults still eating baked beans? It’s for kids. The UK diet is shocking

Baked beans for kids???? What planet do you live on 🙈

• Sad 1

Exactly why you buy the Thai alternative and learn to eat more thai food. As for the beans, 45 ish baht in Tops for beans -420 is for the name, not the contents. 50-60 baht bag of oats here is far cheaper than the UK alternative and it lasts over a week. Went back to the UK in March this year, pint of milk is now £1, 55p ish here

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

79 members reading about a can of Baked Beans.      I bet 90%  are Bot AI posters for sure.  

as habitual bean eater... I am always keen for a bean thread when they pp up.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

They need to buy the cheaper one ....    

it tastes ok .....

Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce 425g

I don't eat beans for the taste. I eat them for the results! 🙂

4 hours ago, cooked said:

.. and I'm bloody outraged that people come to Thailand and want to eat baked beans. Maybe afraid that they would get food poisoning? 

Content creators are real people. They sacrifice a lot to bring you good quality content for your enjoyment.

RDT_20240704_1625502119984159807413267.jpg

• Haha 2

One should compare Thailand with Cambodia where there are almost no taxes on imported products. The way things work in Thailand is that the local food companies finance the campaigns of Thai politicians who in turn keep the high taxes in place to "protect" the Thai companies. It's a vicious circle. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, deansy1972 said:

Holidaying or live in a country that has some of the best tasting food in the world and you want to eat baked beans. 

Best tasting food in the world is clearly overrated. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, deansy1972 said:

Holidaying or live in a country that has some of the best tasting food in the world and you want to eat baked beans. 

Best tasting food?

No one wants to admit that they prefer McDonald's to Thai slop. That's why McDo does so well here.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Best tasting food?

No one wants to admit that they prefer McDonald's to Thai slop. That's why McDo does so well here.

I arrived back in Dec 23 with my previous 'stay' being for 7 years.  I haven't had McDs yet and nor do I have the yearning to. 

I pick my Thai food and enjoy it, staying away from the 'slop' as you call it. 

For real authentic slop, pop across to the Philippines. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sheist said:

Naw, get the Ayam English Recipe.  The red one above is just too sweet.  Spoils the flavor of the beans.  The ER is terrific, tastes like what you expect baked beans to taste like, and only 49 baht for 425 gram cans.    Ayam Brand Baked Beans English Recipe ...

I've never seen the English Recipe beans for sale.  What supermarket sells it, please?

2 minutes ago, Cutty Shark said:

I've never seen the English Recipe beans for sale.  What supermarket sells it, please?

oh no we have a customer 

24 minutes ago, deansy1972 said:

Local food is rancid.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

same with dim sims, $20 for 60 in Australia but same thing here they want over $100, the price almost doubled over night when the seller realized people wanted them

7 minutes ago, Cutty Shark said:

I used to buy them at Surat Thani Tops at Central

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It still confuses me until today that there is not more local producing beans for cheap prices as well with peanut butter and other nuts etc.

A Thai can't possibly create proper baked beans for the refined, delicate British palate and waistline.

But some Brit living out in the weeds of Isaan could possibly teach his Thai wife to grow and prepare baked beans. Lucrative market.

Edited by BigStar

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

A Thai can't possibly create proper baked beans for the refined, delicate British taste and waistline.

But some Brit living out in the weeds of Isaan could possibly teach his Thai wife to grow and prepare baked beans. Lucrative market.

Thais are masters at f up especially under pressure.

Started ordering the best pizza on grab. Really good and not that expensive for amazing quality. One month later they started crumbling. Soggy dough, raw meat, oily....

Forget it.

They need to be supervised like babies from clowns the likes of minor group to have any consistency.

Michelin should also do monthly inspections of Thai restaurants and remove the undeserved stars.

• Thanks 1