Using SIM card internet at home instead of normal internet package

5 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I looked at your first post. it is totally off-topic and all it's contents erroneous. You obvious did not comprehend what was written in the first place. The OP doesn't have any problems with his Unlimited 15 Mbps Truemove H package, so there was no need for you to enter with a story about a 'similar AIS package' (which in reality bears little or no similarity at all).

Is the AIS package you mentioned 15Mbps? No, not even close. So in fact you are recommending that he obtains a slower package of perhaps 6 Mbps....if that is the package your wife has now....doubtful.

But that might not have mattered if you had provided useful information to all. But in reality, it is totally vague, with not even a single detail confirmed. Only refusals to actually check what she has.

The op stated he is having problems with his AIS sim if you didn't get to read that bit then my post was irrelevant to you

• Haha 1

Just now, norbra said:

The op stated he is having problems with his AIS sim if you didn't get to read that bit then my post was irrelevant to you

No, they didn't write that. They wrote that they want to SWITCH to SIM Internet at home. Why would they do that if they are already using SIM Internet at home?

Anyone can make a mistake, but you have compounded it by being obstinate and unnecessarily difficult. If you want to help, then help. You've been on this thread for more than an hour and still haven't bothered to confirm what Unlimited package was offered for 1000 baht(6 months)

What was the point on mentioning it, if you point blank refuse to share the details? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, NowNow said:

No, they didn't write that. They wrote that they want to SWITCH to SIM Internet at home. Why would they do that if they are already using SIM Internet at home?

Anyone can make a mistake, but you have compounded it by being obstinate and unnecessarily difficult. If you want to help, then help. You've been on this thread for more than an hour and still haven't bothered to confirm what Unlimited package was offered for 1000 baht(6 months)

What was the point on mentioning it, if you point blank refuse to share the details? 

If you read lines 3 and 4 of the OP's post my suggestion to fix his AIS problem would eliminate the need of a router,but there has been no response from the op.

Edited by norbra

14 hours ago, norbra said:

If you read lines 3 and 4 of the OP's post my suggestion to fix his AIS problem would eliminate the need of a router

Read again. "Normal AIS package". "SWITCH to SIM Internet" 

Obviously you have assumed that their 'normal' Internet package is SIM Internet, rather than Fibre/terrestial. But if it was...wouldn't they already have a router for it? Is your reasoning that he has a dual SIM phone and whilst he has a perfectly good 15 Mbps TRUE SIM, that he keeps a 650 baht per month SIM package for giggles?

On 7/6/2024 at 3:14 PM, NowNow said:

This is not accurate. Some cheap routers won't cover all of the Bands in use and most certainly won't have the capability to combine bands.

For example, these are the bands available to TRUE: 

B1 (2100 MHz)

B3 (1800 MHz)

B8 (900 MHz)

B28 (700 MHz)

B40 (2300 MHz)

B40 (2300 MHz)

B40 (2300 MHz)

B41 (2500 MHz)

A good router can access them all. A cheap and nasty model might cover just B1 & B3.

Why would you want all the bands? The 1800 is an old frequency as are 900 and 700. Band 40 and 41 would be the most appropriate

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

olWhy would you want all the bands? The 1800 is an old frequency as are 900 and 700. Band 40 and 41 would be the most appropriate

You wrote earlier that "all available routers are compatible". But not all available routers will be able to see Band 40 & Band 41. 

Have you joined this thread just to confuse people?

What does "old frequency" have to do with anything anyway? Better to be able to utilise them if needed, than to not have them at all. 

To be frank, I don't think you have much idea of what you are writing about. 700MHz has been recently utilised by My by NT(Formerly CAT) for both ''4G' and '5G' services. AIS through AWN is administering the network. This in the past twelve months. So hardly old.

NT – AIS ผนึกกำลังครั้งสำคัญ เสริมขีดความสามารถ 4G/5G บนคลื่น 700 MHz มุ่งยกระดับโครงสร้างพื้นฐานดิจิทัลของประเทศ ต่อยอดนวัตกรรมโครงข่ายอัจฉริยะเพื่อคนไทย (ntplc.co.th)

Best you read that article before replying.

Edited by NowNow

21 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You wrote earlier that "all available routers are compatible". But not all available routers will be able to see Band 40 & Band 41. 

Have you joined this thread just to confuse people?

What does "old frequency" have to do with anything anyway? Better to be able to utilise them if needed, than to not have them at all. 

To be frank, I don't think you have much idea of what you are writing about. 700MHz has been recently utilised by My by NT(Formerly CAT) for both ''4G' and '5G' services. AIS through AWN is administering the network. This in the past twelve months. So hardly old.

NT – AIS ผนึกกำลังครั้งสำคัญ เสริมขีดความสามารถ 4G/5G บนคลื่น 700 MHz มุ่งยกระดับโครงสร้างพื้นฐานดิจิทัลของประเทศ ต่อยอดนวัตกรรมโครงข่ายอัจฉริยะเพื่อคนไทย (ntplc.co.th)

Best you read that article before replying.

They are with the latest standards yes but not the older standards which the frequencies quoted would apply to. 4G is pretty old now despite what you think. 5G is soon going to be replaced. Work on a new version is currently underway.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why not just use the wi fi hotspot option on the phone for the laptop at home.  That's what I do to get internet access on my home laptop.

7 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

They are with the latest standards yes but not the older standards which the frequencies quoted would apply to. 4G is pretty old now despite what you think. 5G is soon going to be replaced. Work on a new version is currently underway.

We're talking about the OP getting a low speed unlimited sim card and maybe a router. 5G with it's gigabit connections and whatever 6G and 7G will offer is irrelevant. He only wants/needs 30 mbits. It's all about connectivity. Can he get a good connection to the network with a particular router?

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

We're talking about the OP getting a low speed unlimited sim card and maybe a router. 5G with it's gigabit connections and whatever 6G and 7G will offer is irrelevant. He only wants/needs 30 mbits. It's all about connectivity. Can he get a good connection to the network with a particular router?

Actually the OP is referring to a 15 Mbps SIM. That can easily be covered by a decent quality of CAT.4 router. Less than 1500 baht will cover that. Perhaps a TP-LINK. But of course one has to make sure that the router can cover all of the relevant 4G frequencies in use. @Photoguy21 is just rambling.

Annual 30Mbps plans are scarce if at all available, but there is still the 12 month 'up to 100 Mbps' NT Wireless plan. 

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why not just use the wi fi hotspot option on the phone for the laptop at home.  That's what I do to get internet access on my home laptop.

I can't speak for the OP but I use SIM routers for a couple of reasons:

1)  It's widely report that using your phone as a hotspot should only be done short term and not as a permanent setup as it's detrimental to the phone's life.

2)  If I go out with my phone in my pocket then any other internet connected things at home lose connection.  For me these are security cameras, heating and any other users, and there are numerous other devices around the home available now which require connectivity.

OP.  This was my latest one.  https://www.strong-eu.com/app/uploads/4_GROUTER_1200_UK_LL_LR_EN_20-06-22.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, treetops said:

I can't speak for the OP but I use SIM routers for a couple of reasons:

1)  It's widely report that using your phone as a hotspot should only be done short term and not as a permanent setup as it's detrimental to the phone's life.

2)  If I go out with my phone in my pocket then any other internet connected things at home lose connection.  For me these are security cameras, heating and any other users, and there are numerous other devices around the home available now which require connectivity.

OP.  This was my latest one.  https://www.strong-eu.com/app/uploads/4_GROUTER_1200_UK_LL_LR_EN_20-06-22.pdf

Good points, especially number 1.  I'm not on my laptop a lot, so I suppose it's ok as a temporary remedy. 

When I came to Thailand last year for 3 months, I picked a dtac tourist sim at BKK airport. Few days later I went to dtac shop in Central festival mall and purchased a 3 month package with unlimited data.

My condo did have broadband, for a fee, I didn’t use it.

my iPad connected to the iPhone and I had untroubled service throughout my stay. Cost was B1100

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:33 PM, gargamon said:

Speed is one of those things that everyone thinks is super fast. It depends of the route to which you are connected. You can have the "potential" of a very fast connection but in reality you are only as fast as the slower router/server you pass through.

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Speed is one of those things that everyone thinks is super fast. It depends of the route to which you are connected. You can have the "potential" of a very fast connection but in reality you are only as fast as the slower router/server you pass through.

What is this? 😊

The OP asked for advice on a SIM & router combo. So far, your every post has been a distraction.

He has an 'up to 15 Mbps' SIM with TRUE and the possibility to join with other networks. What is your recommendation to the OP?

• Agree 1

On 7/6/2024 at 5:48 AM, AnotherOneHere said:

Yes, I can go to Lazada and buy first SIM router I see. But as @treetops says, I think there's more to it.

Like most things, you get what you pay for. 

If you were on a fiber connection it would be worth spending more to give yourself more option, both now, and in the future.  However, you will be using a sim card which will most likely be receiving a 4G signal. 

No point spending big money on a router that will always be restrticted to the speed of the 4G data connection to the phone tower.

Have you done a speed test on your phone?  What speed are you getting in your location? 

12 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Like most things, you get what you pay for. 

If you were on a fiber connection it would be worth spending more to give yourself more option, both now, and in the future.  However, you will be using a sim card which will most likely be receiving a 4G signal. 

No point spending big money on a router that will always be restrticted to the speed of the 4G data connection to the phone tower.

Have you done a speed test on your phone?  What speed are you getting in your location? 

Thank you for another pointless post in a thread full of pointless posts. 🏆 🏆 🏆

Like I said in my initial post I'm already using this SIM card in my phone and want to buy a router to use it as a home internet. 60 replies concerned if I have good reception, recommendations to use hotspot, recommending me different SIM cards .... everything but a recommendation of a router.

• Agree 1

On 7/6/2024 at 6:44 PM, bamboozled said:

What is the downside to this setup? It certainly appears cheaper than installing broadband and the speed "seems' fast. What am I missing? Why would anyone have broadband instead of this setup? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should cancel my broadband and go this route.

Thank you.

downside all depends how you use the internet and how you react to slow speeds at times
if you are not downloading/uploading or gaming etc you likely do not need blazing speeds
30Mbps can be ok for 4K streaming
but obviously may not be great at slow times
if all you are using the internet for is to browse apps and watch youtube or other 1080p streaming
then you should be fine with 15Mbps
everyone likes number go up
but honestly we are way past the demands of the average user

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Like I said in my initial post I'm already using this SIM card in my phone and want to buy a router to use it as a home internet. 60 replies concerned if I have good reception, recommendations to use hotspot, recommending me different SIM cards .... everything but a recommendation of a router.

Par for the course here. You have to wade through a lot of nonsense in order to sort of the wheat from the chaff.

I've suggested a couple of different options for routers. The Truemove H SIM might not perform the same way in a router as it does on your phone. Partly the reason why I suggested a CAT.6 router as my first suggestion, even though a cheaper CAT.4 might do. CAT.6 upwards can combine bands for higher speeds.

Though don't ignore the possibility of the THUNDER SIM for home Internet.  I've given as many pointers as possible without making it too complicated.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, AnotherOneHere said:

i use one of these for backup 

i do also have a 4G pocket wifi router which you can now buy for like 300 baht
which is just a sim card wifi hotspot
you did not state if you need wired connections to the router
or if you just need wifi for other devices (without burning phone battery using that as a hotspot)

Edited by patman30
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, NowNow said:

What is this? 😊

The OP asked for advice on a SIM & router combo. So far, your every post has been a distraction.

He has an 'up to 15 Mbps' SIM with TRUE and the possibility to join with other networks. What is your recommendation to the OP?

Yes, but super fast does not exist in a SIM it is the network. Try to understand that.

2 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

You received what you call pointless posts because of the lack of information you posted in your OP. 

What's your budget for a router? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, patman30 said:

downside all depends how you use the internet and how you react to slow speeds at times
if you are not downloading/uploading or gaming etc you likely do not need blazing speeds
30Mbps can be ok for 4K streaming
but obviously may not be great at slow times
if all you are using the internet for is to browse apps and watch youtube or other 1080p streaming
then you should be fine with 15Mbps
everyone likes number go up
but honestly we are way past the demands of the average user

Thanks! Yep, we're suckers for numbers. Sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than broadband at home or paying by the month on phone.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, NowNow said:

"Can somebody recommend me some SIM router that is compatible with this SIM(Truemove H 15Mbps), with Thailand and where I don't run into some issues for misusing this SIM card? "

Seems like enough info to me.

Don't blame the OP, blame the people who are posting uselessly. I think I'd be annoyed if someone replied with some generic link to Lazada. Most responses have been either very poor, very vague or totally off-topic.

Many expats are price conscious, otherwise know at Cheap Charlie.  :smile:

I posted a "generic link to Lazada" which had a broad range of styles, models, capabilities, and prices.  If the OP posted his requirements in relation to these, I, and other members, would be able to narrow down some routers to select from.

So, I disagree.  More information is needed.  Eg. budget. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Many expats are price conscious, otherwise know at Cheap Charlie.  :smile:

I posted a "generic link to Lazada" which had a broad range of styles, models, capabilities, and prices.  If the OP posted his requirements in relation to these, I, and other members, would be able to narrow down some routers to select from.

So, I disagree.  More information is needed.  Eg. budget. 

Not useful when the OP didn't know what to look for in the first place.

Budget also not relevant either, since they asked specifically about a capped speed SIM plan, we can give them the baseline specs and cost, together with examples.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, NowNow said:

"Can somebody recommend me some SIM router that is compatible with this SIM(Truemove H 15Mbps), with Thailand and where I don't run into some issues for misusing this SIM card? "

Seems like enough info to me.

Don't blame the OP, blame the people who are posting uselessly. I think I'd be annoyed if someone replied with some generic link to Lazada. Most responses have been either very poor, very vague or totally off-topic.

TP link, MR100, MR200, MR400 and MR600 series sim routers can all handle the network providers and frequencies in Thailand.

Tenda 4G06 and the dlink sim routers are also available.

TL-MR100 sim router

45 minutes ago, freeworld said:

TP link, MR100, MR200, MR400 and MR600 series sim routers can all handle the network providers and frequencies in Thailand.

Tenda 4G06 and the dlink sim routers are also available.

TL-MR100 sim router

Most already linked to earlier in the thread.

Another feature that I consider essential, is the possibility to choose the Band manually and to 'lock' on to it. TP-LINK include this feature, either with Beta firmware or Stable Release. Haven't tested the other brands.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, NowNow said:

Not useful when the OP didn't know what to look for in the first place.

All the more reason for a generic link show all options. 

Budget also not relevant either,

Budget is always relevant, especially when it come to electronics, where sometimes the sky can be the limit.

we can give them the baseline specs and cost,

Which is what the generic link to Lazada did.  "Baseline" specs and costs, up to high end specs and costs.

I was going to suggest the OP look at a "normal" router that has a 4G fall back.  This would give the OP the option of either a copper or fiber connection in the future, without the need to buy another router, but these routers cost more, don't they, and you say budget is irrelevant.  :smile: 

Edited by KhunHeineken