Which is the best air conditioning brand out there?

32 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It is 15.8% more efficient.  You would need to use 189,000 baht in electricity to break even.

for myself ROI is not an issue
efficiency and reliability are, as i am off grid
but not even going to question your numbers
lets just say they are good
over 10 years that is just 1,575 baht a month
which absolutely fits into typical use of an 18K BTU

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, patman30 said:

for myself ROI is not an issue
efficiency and reliability are, as i am off grid
but not even going to question your numbers
lets just say they are good
over 10 years that is just 1,575 baht a month
which absolutely fits into typical use of an 18K BTU

I agree with your numbers.

I have had bad experiences with Daikin Smile Inverter units, cases go yellow and I have replaced the logic boards on 5 out of 11 units due to Gecko ingress and one whole unit with a TCL because it was cheaper than repairing the drive electronics in the outside unit.

I have also had installed 13 Mitsubishi Heat Cool units, 4 of them in Silver, 1 in Black and the rest in White.  The white units went yellow very quickly too and if kept clean have no issues.

The only ones I have never had a problem with so far are TCL, only 4 years experience but over a dozen units, no repairs and no yellowing (yet). Likewise a Fujitsu Heat/Cool cassette, ruinously expensive but, no issues in 3 years apart from learning it needs a reset after a storm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I agree with your numbers.

I have had bad experiences with Daikin Smile Inverter units, cases go yellow and I have replaced the logic boards on 5 out of 11 units due to Gecko ingress and one whole unit with a TCL because it was cheaper than repairing the drive electronics in the outside unit.

I have also had installed 13 Mitsubishi Heat Cool units, 4 of them in Silver, 1 in Black and the rest in White.  The white units went yellow very quickly too and if kept clean have no issues.

The only ones I have never had a problem with so far are TCL, only 4 years experience but over a dozen units, no repairs and no yellowing (yet). Likewise a Fujitsu Heat/Cool cassette, ruinously expensive but, no issues in 3 years apart from learning it needs a reset after a storm.

as someone else pointed out to you

"The very cheapest Diakins from 10 years ago are not comparable to a decent one bought today"

you are comparing old bottom of a range to new top of another range

5 minutes ago, patman30 said:

as someone else pointed out to you

"The very cheapest Diakins from 10 years ago are not comparable to a decent one bought today"

you are comparing old bottom of a range to new top of another range

Yes I am, it's hard for me to trust Daikin again.

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Any of you guys know if any of these manufactures install a Motion detector in the A/C? 

Both Daikin and Mitsubishi have models that have motion/occupation sensors. For Mitsubishi look at the Move Eye models

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2024 at 5:35 PM, The Fugitive said:

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are quiet and powerful. Neighbour transplanted a 20 year old unit and it works perfectly. Forgot to turn ours off in wife's shop when we went away on holidays. Noticed very little difference in the next monthly electricity bill. It was already installed in our shop when we first took it on 17 years ago. Never broken down.

Had a heavy Mitsu since 2012, very, very noisy and had it stripped down twice, hate it. Stayed in a hotel last week that had a Central Air unit which was noiseless, might get one of those as a replacement

40 minutes ago, proton said:

Had a heavy Mitsu since 2012, very, very noisy and had it stripped down twice, hate it. Stayed in a hotel last week that had a Central Air unit which was noiseless, might get one of those as a replacement

Strange. Ours is definitely very quiet (positioned above the bed), cools rapidly and has never received any attention since at least 2007.

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, patman30 said:

what on earth do you mean?
Aircons efficiency is rated by their SEER number

Efficiency = "The ratio of the effective or useful output to the total input in any system."

The SEER number is based on very specific test criteria and installation, not on real world applications. 

And testing and retesting is expensive. 

• Sad 1

If one is to leave the area unattended for a moment, a model with wifi can be a good idea as to switch it ON and OFF regularly during absence. It airs the unit and the area and can avoid other issues when left unattended to long.

Had LG before. Not really the best and maybe that's why the developper threw then in and had it included with the place during the sale.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:22 PM, The Fugitive said:

Strange. Ours is definitely very quiet (positioned above the bed), cools rapidly and has never received any attention since at least 2007.

I thought April 1st had passed already.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thainet said:

I thought April 1st had passed already.  

I have a unit purchased in 2000 that has been moved three times that has never needed repair. 

• Love It 1

On 7/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, The Fugitive said:

Thank the Chinese family who own it for me.

They did some good Feng shui to place it exactly in the one spot (in the universe) where no dust or mould builds up  and the machine magically cleans itself ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, johng said:

They did some good Feng shui to place it exactly in the one spot (in the universe) where no dust or mould builds up  and the machine magically cleans itself ?

I believe if something works well then leave it alone. Especially if it doesn't belong to you. We have our more modern Samsung and LG air cons at home cleaned every six months by a local guy. Why the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air con in our shop is quieter, faster cooling, seems to use hardly any electricity and doesn't appear to suffer from lack of cleaning is totally bizarre but I'm not complaining!

On 7/6/2024 at 4:01 PM, up2you2 said:

Previously had Daiken, but are there any others I should currently consider please.

Samsung's wind free just how effective is it.

And Haier what have been your experiences with this new brand.

Stick with the Daikin Inverter quiet... small footprint... and efficient.  I just had six of them installed in the new house.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2024 at 5:35 PM, The Fugitive said:

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are quiet and powerful. Neighbour transplanted a 20 year old unit and it works perfectly. Forgot to turn ours off in wife's shop when we went away on holidays. Noticed very little difference in the next monthly electricity bill. It was already installed in our shop when we first took it on 17 years ago. Never broken down.

Nah, it wouldn't do with windows closed and decent insulation. I would always go with Mitsu. Had the house blinged out with them and never an issue. Currently on Eminent in apartment and, while working well, the blower plastic don't half crack when the compressor kicks in. Dunno wt;f that's all about. Hotel recently stayed in had the same issue. Bizarre.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2024 at 8:55 AM, daveAustin said:

the blower plastic don't half crack when the compressor kicks

You might try a little trick   which is to slightly loosen the screws/bolts whatever  holds the plastic bits together  so they can expand and contract easily...the other thing that can be rather noisy is the start relay often found on a motherboard circuit incorporated into the evaporator unit (inside) mine was especially loud and woke me up all night  when brand new  but seemed to wear in after a while and become quieter......after I blew up  the motherboard

( accidentality with the pressure washer )  the new replacement board had a very nice quiet relay 😋

• Thanks 1