When you get the cancer will stay here or go back?

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

If you can't find such a Wat conveniently located, then Plan B would be to find one with a sort of wall columbarium with a niche for your urn, like this:

image.png.efdc4ee795508e4cca36db474d908226.png

I have already 'purchased' my wall niche at the local Wat. Next to my son and my wife's ones

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Euthanise not suicide.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Same thing

Not the same.

Euthanasia is carried out by someone else.

Suicide is self inflicted.

The end result is the same though. :whistling:

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not the same.

Euthanasia is carried out by someone else.

Suicide is self inflicted.

The end result is the same though. :whistling:

Self euthanise is where I will be at.

So yeah suicide !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, BigStar said:

That's great! Seriously.

Seriously yes.

And everyone here knows about it.

Son died December 2015, wife died 7 months later.

Cremated at the Wat and I 'bought' three slots at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is Laos still awash with Opium? maybe go there towards the end

I smoked a ton of drugs in the north of Laos when I was doing my historic preservation work.

Top tip: bring some Bic lighters, colorful ones (the band KISS is a favorite) -quite a luxury in dollar a day-wage hill tribe-land. And bring some Lao Lao moonshine. They prefer booze.

Not really for pain relief. Just a bit of buzzy euphoria that goes away in 2 minutes when you stand up.

A very interesting question that I have been grappling with for some time. Watching my mother die of bowel cancer at her age of 58 was very traumatic for me. I swore at the time that I would never go through what she did trying to stay alive for a few more months. I would prefer to stay in Thailand but also want to die in my home town.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Self euthanise is where I will be at.

So yeah suicide !

sad, but true. I don't want to look like that and more important be a burden to my family. 

crawling man like japanese geisha, catheter attached. With a hole in the stomach to either supply food or to poo. 

when your beloved ones are waiting when you finally go to the rainbow.

waiting in the line for freaking painkillers to subside pain and watching cartoons at night.

sharing to your friends who avoids you

reading dumb forums looking for a miracle cure

and again: your beloved ones will suffer daily, I witnessed. why punish them? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Er would you like to correct that worgeordie?

NOT ,    there fixed that ,thanks for correcting me , would not wish that on anyone

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I know someone who gets a morphine shot daily here in Chiang Mai.

A bit dubious: he's been in the clear for bowel cancer for 7 years -and he has a medical visa.

Yes my BIL also got morphine in a village hospital in his final stages of liver cancer. He was the cancer victims I saw die with pain killers. It was not as bad for him as my MIL who did not have anything in those years

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I tossed you the red heart out of sympathy.

Thank you it was really sad to see my wife's mother suffering so badly in the end. I kept asking isn't there anything they can give her & they said no. That was 10 years ago...But last year when our BIL was in final stages as I said he was treated so much better with morphine injections at the local village hospital then allowed to go home.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 11:45 AM, mokwit said:

I plan to go back to the UK for end of life care but stay here while I am ambulatory.

Reasons: I live alone whereas in UK I have some family. Access to painkillers e.g Fentanyl/palliative care expertise. Living costs in UK are higher but here medical care costs are open ended and I don't know how long I would be incapacitated for.

In UK there should be a district nurse coming round and oxygen bottles if needed will likely be delivered. I have thought about hiring a live in nurse here, but feel as I am without a strong spouse who can sort things out, i would be better in UK.

One risk people may not have considered is the overstay risk. You could be too unwell to go to Imm and renew your extension/travel to get a new visa, but if you are well enough to open the door to Imm when they come 'round you may be deemed well enough to be detained pending deportation. Judgement on your fitness to be detained is by the Immigration Doctor at IDC. It is reported that people have died in the IDC. Someone can do your extension for you if you are incapacitated, but they require documentation beyond a sick note from you. Hospital stay extensions require documentation from the hospital, obviously, but  amongst other things photo of you holding a newspaper (I don't know where to buy one anywhere at Chula even if I could walk there.).

This is a factor in my decision to go back - the risk of being in IDC when I should be in hospital. It should however be noted that when someone is obviously terminally ill/incapacitated Imm have left them as they were, accepting their overstay.

I recognise that this is a risk of falling between the cracks and provisions are in place, but it is a risk.

I'm look forward to the wheelchair stage.  And the feeding tube.  Yes please.  But I do have an interest in the one where your lungs fill with fluid and you choke to death and are then kept alive on a machine.  So many choices.