Answering my front door stark naked.

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Have missed your posts Bob. Good to see you're hitting the bottle hard again. Yo posts are always better when you're smashed🥂 

i’m not smashed mate, just nicely tuned in!

bob.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You know nothing about real Thai live, just stay on the barstool.

Delusions of the highest order.

57 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I got up out of frustration and the juristic goon got an eye full!

Or maybe he didn’t and that’s why he scurried off?

17 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Delusions of the highest order.

So sad there are so many (s)expats, who can't imagine that foreigners can life normal life here in coexistence with the locals.

Either stuck in their house in Nakon Nowhere or in a bar in one of the sex industry areas.

3 hours ago, RSD1 said:

In the minds of the locals they are all still foreigners, which means they are all still perceived as tourists.

Here you are totally out of sync with reality. There is a big difference on a foreigner and a tourist in the eyes of Thai people.

I have been living here enough long time to be considered as a part of the community. There is no one here that looks at me as a tourist, and that goes for many of us staying permanent in Thailand. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RSD1 said:
1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

A foreigner is not the same as a tourist.

I am married with a Thai, have 2 kids, work here, speak the language and have quite a few Thai friends who don't see me as a tourist.

I came here first over 40 years ago, looks like more of a problem for you and others who keep themselves isolated.

You are fooling yourself. 

Nope... You are oversimplifying and dumbing the perspective down to a binary concept.

Thai's are observant as anyone else and can spot a newbie tourist from an integrated foreigner, as can as any of us who've been here any length of time.

Thai's can spot a foreigner with hooker, they can also judge the socio-status of a foreigner based on his actions and appearance, also based on the status of their partner make further 'evaluation' (or judgment)...  There is a whole range of observations any of us and Thai's will make to 'place us on their socio-totem-pole'.....   'Tourist' is just one notch of many on that 'totem pole' of socio-status with which they evaluate / judge those around them... 

Edited by richard_smith237

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Here you are totally out of sync with reality. There is a big difference on a foreigner and a tourist in the eyes of Thai people.

I have been living here enough long time to be considered as a part of the community. There is no one here that looks at me as a tourist, and that goes for many of us staying permanent in Thailand. 

Tourist, foreigner, use whatever pronoun for yourself that you prefer. Yes, you will begin to be more tolerated the longer that you live in Thailand in one place. It doesn’t mean you are now considered one of them. You are still the infidel.

When I speak Thai and tell them how long I’ve been here they often joke with me and tell me that I’ve become Thai already. But I always think to myself “yeah, you don’t really believe that nor do I really want that to be true”. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope... You are oversimplifying and dumbing the perspective down to a binary concept.

Thai's are observant as anyone else and can spot a newbie tourist from an integrated foreigner, as can as any of us who've been here any length of time.

Thai's can spot a foreigner with hooker, they can also judge the socio-status of a foreigner based on his actions and appearance, also based on the status of their partner make further 'evaluation' (or judgment)...  There is a whole range of observations any of us and Thai's will make to 'place us on their socio-totem-pole'.....   'Tourist' is just one notch of many on that 'totem pole' of socio-status with which they evaluate / judge those around them... 

Totally agree. And when I apply the word tourist I intend it to mean someone who is a visitor, who is not native, and doesn’t ethnically belong here. You can live in a place for 20-30-40 years and still be considered a tourist. It’s not only someone on a 2 week holiday that fits into that category. But as you’ve noticed, so many sensitive foreigners who have been here a minute and have tried to integrate will get offended if you call them a tourist. Too many big egos and small other parts. In my case, call me whatever you want. None of it offends me because I know my place. 

Just now, RSD1 said:

Tourist, foreigner, use whatever pronoun for yourself that you prefer. Yes, you will begin to be more tolerated the longer that you live in Thailand in one place. It doesn’t mean you are now considered one of them. You are still the infidel.

When I speak Thai and tell them how long I’ve been here they often joke with me and tell me that I’ve become Thai already. But I always think to myself “yeah, you don’t really believe that nor do I really want that to be true”. 

You use stupid inflammatory language to distort reality.

Infidel is someone who does not hole the same faith or religion and is accosted with muslims calling non-muslims infidels... its not used to as a term for non-nationals or those of a different race... aliens would be more accurate, or... 'foreigner' as being the most accurate.

Its true that we could never be considered Thai by Thai's, even if we carried Thai nationality - but that does not mean we cannot and do not comfortably 'fit in' within our communities and integrate comfortably into life to such a degree its clearly obvious we are not 'tourists'...   Thus: Its on this point your comments were flawed... 'we are not all tourists here', and we are not all considered tourists here by the Thai's around us.... 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

I think you must start thinking more positive, and actually consider choosing the ones you talk to better. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Totally agree. And when I apply the word tourist I intend it to mean someone who is a visitor, who is not native, and doesn’t ethnically belong here. You can live in a place for 20-30-40 years and still be considered a tourist. It’s not only someone on a 2 week holiday that fits into that category. But as you’ve noticed, so many sensitive foreigners who have been here a minute and have tried to integrate will get offended if you call them a tourist. Too many big egos and small other parts. In my case, call me whatever you want. None of it offends me because I know my place. 

Then you are using the word 'Tourist' in place of 'Non-Thai' in this perspective... 

A Tourist is someone who visits a place on holiday....  Tourist's do not make a place their home.

I don't get offended by it - I simply find the term inaccurate and when used in the manner "you're just a tourist here" then its designed to trigger a response.

Edited by richard_smith237

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You use stupid inflammatory language to distort reality.

A minute ago you seemed sensible. Guess not. My bad. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

I think you must start thinking more positive, and actually consider choosing the ones you talk to better. 

Don’t think I understand your point. But I’m not negative. Life in Thailand is great. I never complain about it. I just accept my place though. As long as I open my wallet I’m welcome. That keeps it easy and simple. 

37 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I have been living here enough long time to be considered as a part of the community.

….ey lads,,, have you heard it!!!

:cheesy:

bob.

11 minutes ago, bob smith said:

YOU are in no position to judge anyone!!!

bob.

Oh Barbie baby, I love it when you talk dirty to me like that. 

22 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Don’t think I understand your point. But I’m not negative. Life in Thailand is great. I never complain about it. I just accept my place though. As long as I open my wallet I’m welcome. That keeps it easy and simple. 

So, it also seem like living in a private bubble of delusion does. What kind of people are you associating with, if you are only welcome as long as you open your wallet? That´s not a worthy living and is strongly affiliated with the bar and entertainment scene. I know for a fact, that many foreigners comes to Thailand and get stuck in the world. After that, they think they have experienced the real Thailand. That´s just not true.

I have numerous of Thai friends that are buying beer for me, as well as I sometimes do for them. Some Thais I don´t even know, suddenly call me when entering my wife´s shop and wish to buy me a beer. Besides that, we have friends inviting us for dinner. Sometimes people call and ask if we want to go with them, when they go somewhere. Never need to pay any gasoline. Instead, we might pay for a dinner, so it just equal in most situations. Another example, is if we go swimming with friends and their children, or visit parks, then all pay for themselves. Sometimes one guy pays for the ice cream and sometimes we do. That´s the real Thailand, you will find, if you settle down and make connections with the right kind of friends. Same as you will chose then carefully in your home country. Everything else, is just tourist traps and scams.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, bob smith said:

YOU are in no position to judge anyone!!!

bob.

But, isn´t that what you do, looking at below? Just that he do it in the open, and you in disguise.

16 minutes ago, bob smith said:

….ey lads,,, have you heard it!!!

:cheesy:

bob.

As you also replied like this, I can understand that you do not have any experience of what you replied to. To have that, you must be a little bit more nice, positive and friendly. So, there you had my judgement. Did it sink in? Sitting good?

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

So, it also seem like living in a private bubble of delusion does. What kind of people are you associating with, if you are only welcome as long as you open your wallet? That´s not a worthy living and is strongly affiliated with the bar and entertainment scene. I know for a fact, that many foreigners comes to Thailand and get stuck in the world. After that, they think they have experienced the real Thailand. That´s just not true.

I have numerous of Thai friends that are buying beer for me, as well as I sometimes do for them. Some Thais I don´t even know, suddenly call me when entering my wife´s shop and wish to buy me a beer. Besides that, we have friends inviting us for dinner. Sometimes people call and ask if we want to go with them, when they go somewhere. Never need to pay any gasoline. Instead, we might pay for a dinner, so it just equal in most situations. Another example, is if we go swimming with friends and their children, or visit parks, then all pay for themselves. Sometimes one guy pays for the ice cream and sometimes we do. That´s the real Thailand, you will find, if you settle down and make connections with the right kind of friends. Same as you will chose then carefully in your home country. Everything else, is just tourist traps and scams.

What you are talking about is village life. It's a lot different when living in the city. You don't have those same kinds of small community social circles. 

Also, no, I don't drink at all. Haven't sat in a bar in decades. I don't moan and complain like the OP. I'm also not lonely, depressed, etc. So I don't fit the mold of most of the other geezers here on this channel. I enjoy life in Thailand. I also travel, which many here don't. I just fully understand the hierarchy of this place. It's that simple. I have no problem with it. It just is what it is. 

But noodle this: Let's say you've been living in the same village somewhere upcountry in Thailand for the last 10 years. You are polite, respectful, and well mannered to your neighbors and everyone else around you, you dress cleanly and show up at all the village events and ceremonies at the local temple, you pay your respects at funerals, etc, and you even pitch in a bit of money from time to time. So you are a well tolerated foreigner.

Then let's say one day you're walking in your village and you accidentally stumble and fall onto one of your neighbor's children, and, as a result, you accidentally break one of that child's legs. A very sad set of circumstances, but, no matter what, you are at fault. Yes, it was a complete accident, yes totally unintentional, and just a sad set turn of events. But the truth is, in their mind, none of this would've ever happened if you never got off that plane in Thailand. And that's what makes you the infidel. But there is a way out for you now. Just open you wallet and you will likely continue to be tolerated. And if you don't then things could get ugly for you in one way or another. You were once well tolerated, but suddenly you aren't unless you pay for your wrong doings, even if they are completely accidental. That's just how it is, isn't it? And you have to accept that, don't you? Their country, their rules. So you're a foreigner who is tolerated as long as you remain in your place and don't cause any friction, right? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

But, isn´t that what you do, looking at below? Just that he do it in the open, and you in disguise.

Don't worry about Barbie Bob because he can’t handle the truth! We live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who’s gonna do it? BS Bob? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. Lol. 😆 

21 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

What kind of people are you associating with, if you are only welcome as long as you open your wallet?

…Thai people!

bob.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

What you are talking about is village life. It's a lot different when living in the city. You don't have those same kinds of small community social circles. 

Also, no, I don't drink at all. Haven't sat in a bar in decades. I don't moan and complain like the OP. I'm also not lonely, depressed, etc. So I don't fit the mold of most of the other geezers here on this channel. I enjoy life in Thailand. I also travel, which many here don't. I just fully understand the hierarchy of this place. It's that simple. I have no problem with it. It just is what it is. 

But noodle this: Let's say you've been living in the same village somewhere upcountry in Thailand for the last 10 years. You are polite, respectful, and well mannered to your neighbors and everyone else around you, you dress cleanly and show up at all the village events and ceremonies at the local temple, you pay your respects at funerals, etc, and you even pitch in a bit of money from time to time. So you are a well tolerated foreigner.

Then let's say one day you're walking in your village and you accidentally stumble and fall onto one of your neighbor's children, and, as a result, you accidentally break one of that child's legs. A very sad set of circumstances, but, no matter what, you are at fault. Yes, it was a complete accident, yes totally unintentional, and just a sad set turn of events. But the truth is, in their mind, none of this would've ever happened if you never got off that plane in Thailand. And that's what makes you the infidel. But there is a way out for you now. Just open you wallet and you will likely continue to be tolerated. And if you don't then things could get ugly for you in one way or another. You were once well tolerated, but suddenly you aren't unless you pay for your wrong doings, even if they are completely accidental. That's just how it is, isn't it? And you have to accept that, don't you? Their country, their rules. So you're a foreigner who is tolerated as long as you remain in your place and don't cause any friction, right? 

What a load of complete bull<deleted>! You are using a disgusting way, when describing Thai people. You are painting them like evil people that only looks after themselves and basically hate foreigners, but can tolerate. This is such a weird delusion, that it almost ringing warning bells for severe mental issues.

Now I will simply lay it out for you, in hope that you will understand. If not, there is no help for you. The big question is how you, with that kind of mindset, actually sound like you want to stay here. For me it´s amazing that you wish to live among people, that you actually believe hate you.

This is how it is, instead of your weird description of something that can happen. Also, I do not from time to time pitch in any money and I live in a city. Not a tourist city, but still a city with about 200-300k people. That´s like more than Pattaya. So, now we got that clarified!

The reality is that if I would stumble on, or in any other way, hurt a child it makes it my responsibility to fix the situation. Exactly as it would be in any country where the welfare system does not work in a favorable way. Let´s say the kid breaks his leg as your example talk about. That´s not a big deal in Thailand, as most care for that will be free for children. However, I would of course take the child to private hospital and get it fixed properly as it was clearly my fault.

No one would demand any money on the side or have any demands for compensation except for the costs of hospital and treatment. However, as I am well versed in Thai traditions and culture, I would see it fit to give the parents anything between 3-5k baht as a nice gesture. That can be compared to a regular law suit in our home countries, that actually can be much more expensive. Of course, I would also give my apologize in a way that is culturally accepted in Thailand, as that´s the country I have chosen to live in.

Do you see anything here that is very different that in any other country, or anywhere that I open my wallet as I would be in great danger otherwise? Now crawl back under you little rock, stay in your confused bubble, and understand it´s time to stop degrading the warm hearts of genuine Thai people. The kind of people, that I have every reason in the world to call my friends.