British Tourist Hurt in Pattaya Hit-and-Run Accident

webfact

On 7/8/2024 at 5:16 AM, zakalwe said:

In Thailand, you got to look left, right, left, right, left, right, left and right before getting to the other side.

don't forget to look behind you on the sidewalk

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Older and a bit confused, slightly disabled with mobility issues, eyesight and/or hearing limitations....

then they need to find alternative ways to cross or don't walk, Thailand is a dangerous place

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

then they need to find alternative ways to cross or don't walk, Thailand is a dangerous place

I take those overhead pedestrian bridges whenever I can. However, I don't think there are any in Pattaya.

Edited by zakalwe

55 minutes ago, zakalwe said:

I take those overhead pedestrian bridges whenever I can. However, I don't think there are any in Pattaya.

None in Pattaya, if have mobility issues it would need to be planned. Some junctions the traffic never stops such as Thapphraya lights by Thepprasit 

• Thanks 1

Should be a sign when tourists arrive at the airport that says, 

Pedestrian rules, crossing a road:

Use your eyes and move it from left, right, left, right, left, right, left right. 

When clear run for your life.   Rinse and repeat. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

None in Pattaya, if have mobility issues it would need to be planned. Some junctions the traffic never stops such as Thapphraya lights by Thepprasit 

That must be the most dangerous crossing in Pattaya at least. Nothing is ever done , the lights don’t work properly, they need a traffic cop there. 
what country can’t even manage one safe crossing.. Put cameras everywhere and fine or confiscate the offenders. Bangkok is much safer, bridges everywhere , mostly with escalators or lifts to make them easier to use, traffic lights that work, and the cars stop. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, balo said:

Should be a sign when tourists arrive at the airport that says, 

Pedestrian rules, crossing a road:

Use your eyes and move it from left, right, left, right, left, right, left right. 

When clear run for your life.   Rinse and repeat. 

i feel safer on my scooter than when i walk in Pattaya

4 hours ago, zakalwe said:

Some on Sukhumvit.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, eastlight said:

Scooter?

I think USA guys and maybe some others use the term for a step through small motorcycle... pretty much what we mostly have here. 

On 7/8/2024 at 6:01 AM, Bundooman said:

Absolutely! How dare a tourist pedestrian cross the road at night when there are serious high speed motorcyclists just trying to negotiate busy holiday resort roads.

Anyone would think there were speed limits or something!

Definitely the tourists fault - expel him from Thailand and ban him for 10 years. 

Furthermore, he's even making this poor motorcyclist look bad!

No wonder he didn't stop..............

To the unfortunate tourist, hope you recover soon and maybe, enjoy the remainder of your vacation.

Why haven't the police acted on this and. found the motorcycle? They always seem to be able to track people with their various cameras when there is a gold shop robbery or some other serious crime occuring. Thai law states the blame will go to the driver of a vehicle and that the pedestrian has the right of way. Also, it was a hit and run making the driver have more blame. 

76 years of age out after midnight.

Some people never learn nothing good comes from a bar from midnight to 4am.

Hopefully this cat is ok. But really 76. Get your arse in bed at 10pm and stop chasing ladybugs... 😂 

20 hours ago, WoodyKenny said:

76 years of age out after midnight.

Some people never learn nothing good comes from a bar from midnight to 4am.

Hopefully this cat is ok. But really 76. Get your arse in bed at 10pm and stop chasing ladybugs... 😂 

He had only been here a couple of days and his body clock  had yet to adjust. Perhaps he even felt he would go out later, when there should be less traffic about and it would be safer. 

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He had only been here a couple of days and his body clock  had yet to adjust. Perhaps he even felt he would go out later, when there should be less traffic about and it would be safer. 

So we don't know , sounds like we're guessing.. what I do know is a few hundred old ass men 65 plus are out running about as if their 22.  Grow up already.  I do wish him well..

9 minutes ago, WoodyKenny said:

So we don't know , sounds like we're guessing.. what I do know is a few hundred old ass men 65 plus are out running about as if their 22.  Grow up already.  I do wish him well..

Grow up?  He has, and earned the right to do exactly what he wants.  If he is actually a tourist the chances are he's already back in blighty now being miserable again for another year or so.

12 hours ago, WoodyKenny said:

Either way, if an adult person wants to be out and about at a late hour , in a place like Pattaya, I say why not. The place adjusted opening times to 4am to suit that scenario. 

On 7/8/2024 at 7:39 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

A marked cross walk (pedestrian crossing) doesn't mean much here. 

A few weeks/months ago a foreigner got killed using one.  Vehicles rarely stop let alone slow down when approaching one. 

You've gotta keep your wits about you when crossing any road in this country. 

Marked pedestrian crossings are the most dangerous places to cross a street in Thailand.
Too many Thai people in cars and on motorbikes don;t have discipline... due to lack of police in the streets acting when they see a traffic violation. Tell me, WHERE in Pattaya, on which main crossings, do you see a policeman? Let alone a policeman who stops ANY traffic-rules violator!??

17 hours ago, Steven55 said:

Tell me, WHERE in Pattaya, on which main crossings, do you see a policeman? Let alone a policeman who stops ANY traffic-rules violator!??

Well not meaning to be pedantic, there is actually often one or more in the little AC box  at the junction where they derive great pleasure and amusement messing with drivers controlling the traffic lights. (But mostly play on their phones).

Edited by jacko45k

On 9/3/2024 at 6:29 AM, jacko45k said:

Well not meaning to be pedantic, there is actually often one or more in the little AC box  at the junction where they derive great pleasure and amusement messing with drivers controlling the traffic lights. (But mostly play on their phones).

I have seen dozens of policemen, special-affairs officers, playing on their phones for 99% of the time I was watching them.
Regarding th AC box: eg crossing Thappraya Rd, Theprasit Rd, the guy their I saw ONE time outside... buying food at a mobile food car. NEVER EVER did he enforce the law, eg regarding motorbikes standing still on or in after the pedestrian cross over.

14 hours ago, Steven55 said:

I have seen dozens of policemen, special-affairs officers, playing on their phones for 99% of the time I was watching them.
Regarding th AC box: eg crossing Thappraya Rd, Theprasit Rd, the guy their I saw ONE time outside... buying food at a mobile food car. NEVER EVER did he enforce the law, eg regarding motorbikes standing still on or in after the pedestrian cross over.

Now don't expect too much of them. But they have come a long way from the days of sitting in the AC, Lek Hotel lobby  sofa, watching the TV. I also once came across a police car on the track near the lake with 2 policeman inside asleep. (The joy of stealing their wheels was just a thought).