Thailand to reclassify cannabis as illegal by 1 January, 2025

2 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

So first they make it legal and invited thousands of businesspeople to invest in shops, production, etc. Now they make it illegal and put the same thousands of people out of business.

Just another example of this government not thinking something through.

What are they going to do, make it legal again next year?

This is just bizarre.

Bizarre being LoS leaderships. Never plan a business around a big shift in policy in  something in LoS.

The tax thing will go as well. It has larger incidental negative effects than the revenue it will raise and can be circumvented by canny expats or they wikll just leave or 6 on/6 off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When they removed Cannabis from the list of forbidden substances they made it legal, not decriminalized as some people here claim. This is what happens when you make a mind altering substance legal and at the same time don't create a regulatory framework. This whole Cannabis thing in Thailand was done in the most stupid way. But I think that it can be still done, to create a strong regulatory framework, not this "free for all" Cannabis carnival that we see in the present. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

When they removed Cannabis from the list of forbidden substances they made it legal, not decriminalized as some people here claim. This is what happens when you make a mind altering substance legal and at the same time don't create a regulatory framework. This whole Cannabis thing in Thailand was done in the most stupid way. But I think that it can be still done, to create a strong regulatory framework, not this "free for all" Cannabis carnival that we see in the present. 

Hashish/kief was technically illegal per the strength and preperation...kief maybe not as it was maybe not processed...clear as mud if you had some on you and cops stopped you but they did not even know on those specific types.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr. Surachoke Tangwiwat from the ministry pointed out the intention to curb recreational use, which has been a growing concern among health officials and the general public.

Some health officials and some of the public. This is what they base it on? No independent studies need then.

proponents of the bill argue that the reclassification is necessary to prevent misuse and protect public health

Based on what?

Well the drug lords and corrupt officials will be happy as the money from dope smuggled into Thailand will start filling their pockets again. This is 100% Thaksin. Ridiculous. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Richard5 said:

Take one look at Portland OR.  San Fransisco or Seattle WA and about 30% of the rest of America and then rethink your comments. 

Funny, this is literally what you need to do.

2 hours ago, Big Bert said:

Why, you really think it will be unavailable by the deadline? You have always been able to purchase it here. 

True but more expensive and not as good. Compressed rubbish from Lao and Myanmar.

The draft regulation, which has garnered approval from a majority at the recent Narcotics Control Board meeting, will now be forwarded to Health Minister Somsak Thepsuthin, before being presented to the Cabinet for final endorsement.

The move will see cannabis flowers and extracts containing more than 0.2% THC being categorised alongside other banned drugs, while branches, stems, roots, leaves, and seeds will remain exempt from this classification.

So weed will be illegal. except when it isn't. Okay. I confess to being ignorant about stems and roots and so on as I've never tried it, despite being a teenager in the 60s. Beer or wine or a G&T with ice and a slice always did it for me. Cannabis has been banned wherever I have lived or travelled, so I was never drawn to try it when legal stuff was available. The only thing that did tempt me was LSD, but you're never sure what reaction you're going to have with that. Can be scary.

7 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

One thing is sure, the Thai police is very happy as they will get back to their lucrative business of extorting farangs, specially on the islands. People caught with a join and paying up to 5000 Baht to avoid going to jail. 

I suppose the farangs always have a way of avoiding that, by not smoking what is illegal. Simples.

• Confused 3

This isn't new news, just one member of the committee who is a Permanent Deputy Secretary in the MoPH talking about the decision that the committee announced last Friday.

Still a long way to go.

Strange that they're recriminalizing hemp too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Strange that they're desperately trying to increase tourist numbers yet criminalising something that undoubtedly attracts quite a few tourists. The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand's doing.

And that hasn't happened before in Thailand?

Stage Right - enter the King of turnarounds -  Anutin who is not looking very happy - I wonder why? :whistling:

• Haha 1

All the AN pot heads will be crying tonight after a few puffs.

Good news I think and the correct decision, as it never did anything good for society well being, health or anything else, it only brought out the criminal mischievous element.   

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So weed will be illegal. except when it isn't. Okay. I confess to being ignorant about stems and roots and so on as I've never tried it, despite being a teenager in the 60s. Beer or wine or a G&T with ice and a slice always did it for me. Cannabis has been banned wherever I have lived or travelled, so I was never drawn to try it when legal stuff was available. The only thing that did tempt me was LSD, but you're never sure what reaction you're going to have with that. Can be scary.

Strange that cannabis didn't tempt you but LSD did - both substances being illegal?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

That is true, in LOS something being published or declared does not mean in any way that it will be implemented! 

Yes, they will have to have a myriad of Committee Meetings first - the first one to decide when the second one is going to be!

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The ministry had already drafted a bill that stopped short of making it totally prohibited but made recreational use illegal but subject to a fine, not imprisonment.  Then in walks Tony still upset with the dealers that supplied his son with coke and other substances and suddenly there is a flip flop based on the wishes of one man who is now running the country from behind the scenes.  

It makes Thailand a laughing stock in the West and eliminates all the GDP contribution, employment and tax revenue from the industry, as well as Thailand's potential contribution to development of knowledge of medical marijuana. 

Not mentioned in the article is that the final decision rests with the committee of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board of which Anutin is still chairman.  But probably nothing he can do to stand up to Tony - yet. However, the elite forces that did a big deal with Tony to get him off his prisons sentences seem to be very dissatisfied with his immediate reneging on his agreement to stay out of politics, as he behaves openly as shadow PM.  He may get his comeuppance, as his popularity is waning fast and he doesn't resonate at all with young voters who see him as an irrelevant old geezer from the past who sold out to the establishment to come home.  His daughter and the feeble nominee PM are even less popular. 

nonsense .... I think your exaggerating what the effect has.   I doubt the west even knows or cares what they do here. 

Tax revenue :cheesy:   I seriously doubt any or very few paid tax,  I know one thai friend who has a shop and he hasn't paid one satang in tax.   

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sherwood said:

freeworld, might need to rethink your moniker lf this is your attitude.

Nothing wrong with expressing his opinion. it's a free world.

I also agree with him.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Big Bert said:

Why, you really think it will be unavailable by the deadline? You have always been able to purchase it here. 

if you were dealing with criminals

7 hours ago, huangnon said:

Another amazing policy flip-flop by The Ministry Of Silly Walks. All those legit businesses (and people's lives) that went bust during the Covid lockdowns and re-surfaced as Cannabis shops / farms etc, now about to be shut down again..

Anybody foolish enough to jump into the cannabis business should have expected a turnaround by the next government.   

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jaideedave said:

nik...so much confusion, but the BIB love it ..it was a money maker before to bust folks on the spot for a joint. I know a fellow in Samui who had to dole out 40k to the cops back in the day ov a few j,s

Stupid idea....

It cost a few OAP's 30k baht each for an illegal beer back in the days of Covid - 10k to the court and 20k to the cops for not shopping them to Immigration!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, sambum said:

Strange that cannabis didn't tempt you but LSD did - both substances being illegal?

I take your point, but I didn't actually seek out either. Tempted is not the same as taking it. I'm sure the effects of LSD would have been far more adventurous, more of a ride and - from all the tales at the time - far more mind-opening.

Just now, Robert Paulson said:

Now that it’s illegal again the illegitimate dealers can make money again. Whew. Close one. They almost did something good on accident for a while there

apparently, there are only "plans" to make it illegal again.

this is Thailand, also known as the hub of unrealized plans.

but I have questions about the legal cannabis now (I know nothing about drugs or cannabis) :

- is the legal stuff currently sold of satisfactory quality (I read about THC limits, whatever that is, I suppose it's the actual drug active ingredient) ?

- is the legal stuff cheaper than the illegal stuff was ?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I suppose the farangs always have a way of avoiding that, by not smoking what is illegal. Simples.

Farangs smoking dope in Thailand would be the minority. TIT. Lot's of Thais smoke dope.

• Thanks 1