E Visa -60 Day Tourist from the US

The thing is a single entry tourist visa or a single entry Non-Imm visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue

That means you have 3 months to ENTER thailand and get stamped in on the visa (even if you showed up here the day the visa expires you'd still get stamped in for as long as you should on that visa)

There is no reason to wait until it's close to you traveling to apply for ANY single entry visa

NOW on the other hand if you're getting a 6 month METV (Multi-Entry Tourist Visa) you would want to get that one as close to when you're flying here as you can, because it's 6 month validity starts burning down the second they issue it and the faster you get here on it the closer you get to getting the 9 months of stay possible out of it

• Like 1

It varies by consulate and how busy they are at the time and how short staffed they may be.  Mine usually take about 10 days. Last time I think it took about 15 and then I had to email them asking the status and that I was supposed to leave soon.  After that I got it the next day. 

The expiry date is based on the issue date, not the date you first enter Thailand.  When you want to stay for 6 months at a time like I do, you want it to get it issued as close to your departure date as possible.  Hopefully I can qualify for that new 5 year 180 day thing next time and reduce some of this visa hassle.

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, AsiaTraveler1234 said:

Yes, I believe 60 day visa exempt started this July. I arrived June and got 30 days.

It did not. Currently you receive 30 day visa exempt entry via air and land border