Britain Emerges as a Beacon of Stability in Europe Amid French Turmoil

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but left wing governments and stability do not go hand in hand - and that is shown world wide

Yea ... I'm a bit suspect myself.   I was thinking, more cowering to the propaganda and powers to be.  2 party system (actually just one), doesn't work.   Seems every cycle, you just think you're voting for a different party, always the lesser of 2 evils, as tired of getting screwed by the present party.

Till you realize, they suck also, let's go back to the other idiots.   After a while, reality should sink in, you're screwed no matter what.

By then, hopefully, you planned well, and can retire elsewhere ... :cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

One might, quite legitimately, question whether Reform UK is the British equivalent of National Rally, AfD or Fratelli d'Italia. Reform UK is right of centre, but certainly not extreme right; unless of course you work from the premise that anyone to the right of Labour is a raving fascist!

The article is however right that the French election was not a victory for any party, but rather a (successful) attempt to manipulate their voting system to keep RN out. Now they have to form a government and function as such. It will be interesting. France is, politically speaking, knackered.

Mind you, by the same token, one might question whether Labour's remarkable majority (achieved with a reduced vote share and a remarkably low turnout) was less a sign of burning enthusiasm for its policies than a desire to get rid of the deeply (and rightly) unpopular Tory party.

Your final paragraph is spot on.........................the Tories handed government to Labour on a plate.

• Agree 1

mass importation allowed by politicians, made sure over the years, to get them new voters but leaves the original population behind, to favor the new that never contributed to anything, go figure ...

france is more north africa in some neighborhoods

UK have millions of pakistani's

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

One might, quite legitimately, question whether Reform UK is the British equivalent of National Rally, AfD or Fratelli d'Italia. Reform UK is right of centre, but certainly not extreme right; unless of course you work from the premise that anyone to the right of Labour is a raving fascist!

This sentence started off well and was interesting, but then by the end it just subtly parrots another agenda driven motive. It's not really important if it is 'extreme right', 'far right', 'hard right' or 'more right than most other parties right'. The tiresome (non-) dialogue and diatribes trying to shut down debate and legitimate concerns by people, some of whom have never voted for a left of centre government in their lives, is, however, extreme.

So far, on the handful of UK political threads on here, we have people blaming Labour (5 days after an election) for Tory policies because they are desperate to blame 'the left' for everything. I'd suggest that's extreme  - extremely one-sided. 

We have had people barely able to control their blood pressure over the recent 'debacle' of a general election, claiming that 90% of the people were unaware of the FPTP system that the UK has used in every general election for near 75 years. I'd suggest that's also extreme - extremely ignorant.

We've had people blaming the left for all the immigration problems, despite having a net positive immigration for the last 30 years - 17 of which were under right-wing Tory rule. We have people who until the recent election voted Tory repeatedly, despite immigration levels rising. First they blamed the EU; then it was France; now it is Labour. The latest, as evidenced by recent posts, is to lump the Tories in with Labour (yet still imply it's a problem of the left). Maybe people made a mistake voting Tory - but whisper that, lest you be mistaken for a red-capped communist comrade.

Maybe it was unintentional but I feel like your post above takes a swipe at the left whilst implying anyone taking a swipe back at the right has lost their marbles (for only marble-less lunatic lefties would think anyone right of Labour are fascists). That's extreme too - extremely self-defeating for a debate. I appreciate though that you were trying to be humorous, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

but rather a (successful) attempt to manipulate their voting system to keep RN out.

There was no 'manipulation'. You are implying coercion or something underhand using that word (sounding exactly like Mme le Pen). It was a strategy, visible, legal and democratic - one which the French voters were aware of before placing their vote. The majority of French people evidently supported this strategy.

What happens next is anyone's guess. The French politicians now have a job to do and if they don't figure out how to do it well one assumes Mme le Pen has every chance of becoming the next President, in another visible, legal and democratic election.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, john donson said:

UK have millions of pakistani's

Not quite, as of the last Census (2021) some 1.6 million people described themselves as of Pakistani descent or Pakistani-born. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The most biased article I can remember reading.

I don't even know where to start. 😃

Of course it is. No-one would read the Guardian if they wanted unbiased journalism.

• Thanks 1